Forum Updates!

News and announcements about the website and forum.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Forum Updates! Unread post

Due to comments about confusion as to having topics about scenarios in two different forums, making discussion and research a tad confusing, plus the confusion by a lot of folks as to which forum to post their comments in about a scenario, I have eliminated the RT3 Scenario Strategies forum and moved or merged all topics in it to the existing Reviews forum, renamed to RRT3 Reviews & Strategies.

In the process of doing this a thought came to mind to add sub forums to separate some of the threads to, what I think would be a more logical set up.
What I was thinking was to create sub forums for Default Campaigns, Default Scenarios, and User Created Scenarios, with the mother forum for general strategies and such.

Before I do this though, I thought it best to ask for others opinions/thoughts on this. Any ideas, comments, criticisms are greatly welcomed. :mrgreen:
Hawk
Bcbuhler
Hobo

Re: Forum Updates! Unread post

Sounds like a great idea to me.
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Bcbuhler wrote:Sounds like a great idea to me.
I agree. The only thing I might suggest is an initial separation of 1.05 and 1.06 sub forums with your three sub-sub forums under each of them.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Wolverine@MSU wrote:I agree. The only thing I might suggest is an initial separation of 1.05 and 1.06 sub forums with your three sub-sub forums under each of them.
Now you're pushing it Wolvy. ^**lylgh

I will think about that. I'm not sure if I can have child forums of child forums though. I don't think the software will let me.
Hawk
RulerofRails
CEO

I like the 1.06 idea, but why would you need three sub-forums for that? Aren't all the 1.06 maps user created? IMO it would get too confusing and be double-up if people could comment on playing an original scenario or campaign in 1.05 or 1.06. Also, does it need to be a sub-forum? Couldn't it be a second entry on the main page (RT3 section)?

I am not sure there are enough maps being created or currently staying in an unfinished state to justify a beta section. So, I think the splits you suggested for campaign/scenarios/user-created are good.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

RulerofRails wrote:Also, does it need to be a sub-forum? Couldn't it be a second entry on the main page (RT3 section)?
You mean split the current Reviews and Strategies forum into 4 main forums?

Default campaigns
Default Scenarios
User created scenarios
General game play strategies
Hawk
RulerofRails
CEO

I didn't mean to put 4 sections for 1.05 on the main page. I meant to have the 1.06 maps section on the main page. This section should get plenty of use. I find that with sub-forums I sometimes miss a new post if two have been made in different sub-forums at similar times. I normally click on the newest post link. Maybe I am the only one who does things this way.

From what I have seen, most discussion of strategy occurs in the RT3 General Discussion section. I counted less than 10 threads in Reviews & Strategies that aren't about maps. These stragglers could be merged into General Discussion. As for sections for 1.05, I don't know how visible the original campaigns and scenarios should be for the non-member vistors who are the ones who will hopefully benefit most from reading them, while probably not getting many new posts. How about putting them together in one? Maybe the campaign maps as a sub-forum? This would make three sections on the main page compared to the two before. Sections for: 1.06 maps, user-created 1.05 maps, default scenarios__>campaigns. That's my take on it anyway.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

You might want to think about utilizing the View unread posts links at the top and bottom of the pages.
Image6.jpg
Image6.jpg (19.64 KiB) Viewed 10332 times
Image5.jpg
Image5.jpg (11.85 KiB) Viewed 10332 times
When there are no new posts the links say You have no unread posts.
Image2.jpg
Image2.jpg (21.07 KiB) Viewed 10332 times
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (15.38 KiB) Viewed 10332 times
That way you don't miss any new posts.
Hawk
AT41B
Watchman

I do not gab or carry-on about many things on the forum. But I do watch the forum quiet often, moving to the different areas of it. I personally do not see anything difficult about leaving the forum like it is. Changing things is going to just add more questions about where things are. Which in turn is adding more work to Hawk pointing to different topics. Users of the forum that get lost need to just slow down and breath.
RulerofRails
CEO

Hawk wrote:You might want to think about utilizing the View unread posts links at the top and bottom of the pages.
Thanks for the tip. When I am signed in I will try to make a habit of doing that.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I believe it works even if you're not signed in. You might have to use the link right across the page from it that says Mark forums read. ;-)
Use it once while not signed in, then the View unread posts link will work right, if you haven't done that already.
Hawk
obertran
Watchman

The idea sounds good for me :-)
Hawk
The Big Dawg

The new sub-forums have been created and the process of moving threads to the various forums has begun, starting with the newest threads.

The new sub-forums, under the RT3 Reviews & Strategies forum are:

Default RT3 Campaigns
Default RT3 Scenarios
User Created RT3 Scenarios - with 2 sub-forums:
Version 1.05 (and earlier) Scenarios
Version 1.06 Scenarios
Hawk
RayofSunshine
CEO

Hawk,
You are just a glutten for punishment. ^**lylgh
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Just trying to make things a little better. zzwhip
Hawk
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I've added a new sub-forum titled Unfinished Maps for maps that were never finished by creators that appear to no longer be active.
Hawk
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I've just been informed that there's a downside to all this thread moving. If you log in and use the View unread posts link, you'll most likely see 3 or 4 or more pages of what the software thinks are new posts.
That's an unfortunate, and unavoidable consequence of this action I'm taking.

My suggestion would be to check the first 2 or 3 or more new posts to see if you've read them, then use the Mark forums read link near the top right of the main page. That will clear all those unread posts.

Unfortunately this is going to be an ongoing issue until I get all the threads moved into the new sub-forums. !hairpull! Bear with me folks. :mrgreen:
Hawk
RayofSunshine
CEO

Good luck in your endeavors Hawk, as we know that your initiatives to the web site is to improve the Forum. :salute: {,0,}
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I've already finished moving all the threads to the new sub-forums.
Hawk
RayofSunshine
CEO

Well Hawk,
I wanted to make sure that I was keeping "abreast" with your agenda of creating new categories of threads. And in this case that of "unfinished" maps, of which I have not yet visited that update. However, for the past couple of years, I have had a special folder, I say had, as I deleted it, after numerous PMs to those user creators, to try and get them to finalize their creations, so as to get them put into the Archives. Have yet to get any responses, and the reason that folder was deleted. With that said, I will check on that "update" to see if any of them have been changed in comparison with those which I had made a list.
This agenda which you have initiated is time consuming, but we members appreciate your interest in "keeping with the times" for making things more up-to-date.
Appreciated. !*th_up*! :salute: {,0,}