Arboria

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.05 and earlier.
OilCan
Engineer

Arboria Unread post

I finished playing this game a couple of days ago. Whew! 40 years is a long time, especially when one plays at slow speed. Overall, I liked this game although I think it will a long while before I play it again. I made the gold requirements ($450 mill CBV, $300 mil industry profits) on hard with 3 years to spare. Industry opportunities on the Arboria island were scarce and widely spaced. By mid game I had a monopoly on every farm, every mine, every logging camp and every factory on the island. I would have bought the ports if I could have. The latter part of the game was spent scanning the map for any new farms/camps/mines and buying them on the spot. I placed mills beside almost every farm and every logging camp, upgraded immediately to count to CBV. It was crazy! I also had railroad tracks running everywhere, stations in the middle of nowhere and trains (over 180 of them) covering the island in a blue haze of funnel smoke.

I did like the terrain of the map. Railroad tracks fit nicely to the mountains and there was enough flat land to keep me happy. The views off the trains looking down to the ocean were spectacular. There was not a history tied to the scenario so very few newspapers kept popping up in front of me.

Hints: Pay attention to the ports. New ones appear as the game progresses. Most of them offer meat (!) but some offer coal and oil. Capitalize on coal and oil ones. And watch for dairy farms and sheep farms to continually appear throughout the game. Buy them immediately and place a mill beside them.

I give Arboria a thumbs up with a caveat: patience is required.
arop
Dispatcher

Re: Arboria Unread post

:-D I thank you for your comments. This map has been downloaded 682 times on this site, so I plan to have it upgraded to version 1.06 in the near future and I will try to make the the win conditions harder. Ports offering meat means fisheries (1 diesel + 1 alcohol = 2 meat (fish).
OilCan
Engineer

I enjoyed the game and I thought the map was laid out very well in regards to city density, industries and mountains. May I suggest that more coal be made available in order to build a better steel based market. Thanks for taking the time and effort to create this scenario!
arop
Dispatcher

Arboria II for rrt3 v.1.06 is now avaiable. Testing the game with game start 1875, I got gold in 1943. What's new? Players Net Worth added to win conditions, ports are changed, a few more towns are added, new cargos added :salute: .