GDR 1962

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.05 and earlier.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

GDR 1962 Unread post

The following text is a compilation of what was salvaged from the old Gathering Forum. It contains postings from several different people.
Thanks goes out to Wolverine for putting this all together.

Hawk

GDR 1962
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Map available: GDR 1962
an international version of molse's german original is now available at cyberrail:
It's about borderlines, communism, and fine brands of coffee.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nice Thank you !
Will we have to carry doping products?
I hope it is not a Nixon/Thatcher anti-communism campaign alike again...
Nope, no propaganda.
there's plenty of subtle sarcasm in the original, though most of it I could not properly translate, nor would people from abroad understand it.
BTW, The scenario's author is a former inhabitant of the former GDR, he knows what he's talking about.
I can't seem to download from cyberrail. I keep getting the red circle with the bar through it.
What's the trick? Or is there another source for the GDR map?
Signup there before.
Thanks, guys.
36 downloads (GDR_1962) from Cyberrail - thank you. Would be nice to get some feedback of you, after playing this scenario.
We, RR Veteran and me, have another new scenario, which is published in Germany since 3 weeks. Are you interested for translation?
Answer: info-rrt3@molbs209.de or pm to RR Veteran or me
You guys did a great job on the map. It took me quite a few retrys to finally get the gold. I would love to see another map translated over, keep up the good work
im guessin by the replys its good .
i hate bothering to register ,
especially having to check ur email .
I can't figure out how to register. Can't find the link or whatever.
Here's a hint for the coffee shortage, which is the biggest stumbling block here:
Coffee is supplied in two warehouses (sparse), and later in the Bremerhafen harbor. Within this harbor there are two production teams at work: One makes coffee from grain (yummy), and the other one magically turns one tyre into 12 cars . As soon as 1 tyre arrived, the yearly production limit of 6 loads is exhausted, so there will be no cereal coffee that year. (If there were an auto-consist exclusion feature, eg transport anything except tyres, that would comply)
After I'd realized that there is no coffee output at all (despite my placing a grain farm next to the harbor), I sent the tyre-magicians away by editing the harbor.
You can call me chaeater now, but the alternative is to ferry around the same loads of coffee again and again in the GDR (remember Niigata?)
RayofSunshine
CEO

Re: GDR 1962 Unread post

I have finally booted the GDR sceanario,

And am "slowly" progressing with the system. Just wondering how to accummulate $5M and get the requirements for the medals. In the process of digesting the requirements, I find that there is a "bauxite" goal, 10 loads of which are to hauled into the GDR, of which mine is near Lepzig, which is in GDR.

Now something is wrong with the goal, or has anyone been able to get the GOLD?
This is a 1962 scenario, so could be in most players "stored" box of games played.
:roll:
Ray of Sunshine
belbincolne
Engineer

Can't remember a thing about this it was so long ago but it was at a time when I was making notes of how I got on and they say:

got Bronze PNV $22m, passengers 185, 138 coffee and 146 cars on Expert.

Don't know how good this really is - will give it another try when it next rains (or possibly snows!)
RayofSunshine
CEO

I made an error, which is not that unusual, but it is a "aluminum plant" at Lepig, not a "bauxite" And the 'bauxite comes a couple of years later at LeManns, unless it is a random, and can appear anywhere. LeManns is near the coast, so will require a player to get access to the Netherlands and France.

Ray of Sunshine
belbincolne
Engineer

Gave this a try on Normal and got Silver. Had no trouble getting bauxite, cars and coffee but could only manage 439 passengers out of GDR and - due to Depression for last few years my PNW was only about $11m - although it had been $16m a few years earlier. Used a lot of custom consist trains which ran at a loss where coffee in particular was concerned. Chose the industry discount and this proved pretty profitable for using my initial cash.
RayofSunshine
CEO

Thanks for the info Belbinclne,

I wasn't doing that well getting more than a couple passengers at a time from all the GDR cities to which I had connected/laid track. The last country was the Netherlands to which I laid track to a "port" to get the rubber for tires, so I didn't get into France at all. Seeing that I usually am running a few different scenarios at a time, I must have saved/overwrote another scenario to it. Didn't find the GDR scenario to continue. Usually I will play a scenario for a number of years, and then when their is a change of direction e.g. merge or territory purchase, I will save the initial playing, and start/save the new direction to another 'phase'. Sort of gives me a backup if the new direction doesn't work as planned.

Anyway, I did not get much of a chance to get into a "suggestion" portion, once I was able to connect to WestBerlin. I believe it had to do with hauling pass/autos//// and then I could get some credit, or be able to use the GDRs track for hauling at some percentage of fee. As I say, I didn't get into that part of the play. Any comment? :?:

Ray of Sunshine
belbincolne
Engineer

You dont need to make tyres or anything. There are plenty of autos at several warehouses/ports (despite there "saying" there are none) - simiarly with coffee. The main thing early on is to make lots of money by railroading between big towns and to help the places where I'd bought/built industry so that they would be extra profitable.

As soon as you can afford the $11m (plus an extra $1m for lines etc) to buy into East Germany you can start to run custom trains from anywhere showing autos/coffee. I ran on maximum load of 8 cars so got 7 each time they were full and didn't take very long. Once this gets going well get into France so that you can haul the bauxite to the only place demanding it in E Germany - again max cars only - hugely profitable as well so you only need three trips (they take several years to get there!) - you could run three trains as well because there's a huge amount of Bauxite at Le Mans.

Don't forget to keep other profitable lines going because you dont make much money from the target goods. How you get people I've no idea - think there were a lot more around when I played it umpteen years ago.

Must say its a very enjoyable scenario.
belbincolne
Engineer

Played it again on Expert - this time I met every target for Gold except PNW which was a disaster. Last 5 years (I'd already met all the targets except passengers) the economy collapsed and my worth dropped from $13m to $7m and only recovered a little in the last year so all I got was Bronze. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Funny isn't it that you do better for passengers ( I had over 550) on Expert than on Normal :-? :-?
low_grade
Dispatcher

Here's another one that's worth a play. I had to restart a bunch of times, which is unusual. Finally, wouldn't you know it, despite the apparent lack of profitable routes, all rail was the way to go again. All $5M+ into an initial network connecting 9 of FRG's northern cities. I never did develop anything in the mountains. Boy was progress slow but steady, adding a town or two or three to the network every year, buying into the Netherlands and Belgium and finally France, extending my network down to Paris by the time I could take bonds in 1971. Bought into the GDR finally, and started on those goals. Growth had been strong enough that I wasn't worried about GDP. That dang Port and a Weapons Factory next to it attracting tires across the water when I needed it to convert grain to coffee! I built another station to the west to catch the floating tires and send them elsewhere, that seemed to help, though I needed to reroute those trains occasionally. Also the port in Kiel kept wanting to send its coffee floating, so I built a catch station up there, too. Seemed to be enough, coffee started trickling in, and made the gold on Expert in 1983. Never paid attention to cars or pax, made both goals easily. Did get a note at the end how 184 or so loads of coffee had been shipped back to the West, glad that didn't count against me, I had been wondering...