Ed Land Version 2

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.06.
edbangor
Dispatcher

Ed Land Version 2 Unread post

'Ed Land - Version 2.00
a Scenario for RailRoad Tycoon 3
(requires the 1.06 unofficial patch)

Earliest Start Year: 1920
Default Start Year: 1930
Latest Start Year: 1930
Scenario Length: 50 years
Size: 640x320
Mandatory Human Players: 1 (as Brunel)
Optional Human or Computer Players: 0 to 3 (just playing stockmarket)

MAP DESCRIPTION
Fantasy map in the rough shape of the letters' "E" and "D" (ED land - geddit) with a few small island dotted around. There's raw materials, farms, mines etc, all over but little or no industry especially around Upper Toe & Lower Toe where you will begin. Loco selection is also limited but you will be offered others, just pick carefully as they come at a price.

SCENERIO BREIFING
'Ed Land hasn't been well managed. Now you've been bought in to change all that, but you only have 50 years.
Your ultimate goal is to get the military the suplies they want, but before you can reach Military Island, you will have to win the trust of the surround semi-independent nations.

SPECIAL CONDITIONS
– No unconnected track.
- You may only start one company

TERRITORY ACCESS CONDITIONS
Island Nations - 15,000 Total loads hauled
D-Ring - 35 cities connected
Military Island - 200million in Industry profits

VICTORY CONDITIONS
BRONZE – Connect Four territories.
SILVER – as above plus, 10,00 miles of track
GOLD – all of the above plus deliver the following loads to Military Island
20x Ammo
20x Weapons
30x Troops

Version History:
Version 2.00: 14th September 2009 (updated for the 1.06 patch)
Version 1.00: July 2004

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Comments and suggestions (for the next version) are most welcome as I built the map for the way I play the game, so hopefully that won't make it either too hard, or too easy for everyone else.
Future ideas include: getting the AI's more involved and (apparently) random "Track theives"

PS: Hope it's okay to start a 'review' thread for my own scenario (especially just seconds after sending it to Hawk.) **!!!**
I need a little less pressure, and a little more time
"A Little More Homework" by Jason Robert Brown from 13: the Musical
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: Ed Land Version 2 Unread post

edbangor wrote:PS: Hope it's okay to start a 'review' thread for my own scenario (especially just seconds after sending it to Hawk.) **!!!**
Somebody's gotta' do it. ^**lylgh

I should get it added today. I have 3 other RT3 files that I need to get added also. 2 maps and a reskin.
Hawk
RayofSunshine
CEO

Directed mostly to Edbangor.

Played EdLand, only to find that there are only 33 of the 35 cities needed to get to the other islands. Didn't bother to count them before or during the play, but found out after connecting all the cities designated as Big E. **!!!**

So I thought that maybe version 2 may have the other 2 cities necessary. However, when I went to the Archives, such a designator did not appear. And the thumbnail was too small to count the "white dots". Actually there are an adequate amount of white dots, but some of them are the high elevations of the mountain depicted.

I will probably have to replay the scenario once a correction is made, unless there is something which I have missed in my vision or calculation, although I have checked a couple of times, both by zooming out to count the dots, and that is how I found that there were white dots for the higher elevations on the mountain, as well as tracking down the "tracks" themselves to make sure that there were not some hidden cities.
Even looked down into the gourge by Dropoff, just to make sure that the city wasn't at the bottom. LOL :lol:

A great creation of imagination, and enjoyed playing. :salute:

Ray of Sunshine
edbangor
Dispatcher

Ray of Sunshine wrote:Directed mostly to Edbangor.

Played EdLand, only to find that there are only 33 of the 35 cities needed to get to the other islands. Didn't bother to count them before or during the play, but found out after connecting all the cities designated as Big E. **!!!**

I will probably have to replay the scenario once a correction is made, unless there is something which I have missed in my vision or calculation, although I have checked a couple of times, both by zooming out to count the dots, and that is how I found that there were white dots for the higher elevations on the mountain, as well as tracking down the "tracks" themselves to make sure that there were not some hidden cities.
Even looked down into the gourge by Dropoff, just to make sure that the city wasn't at the bottom. LOL :lol:

A great creation of imagination, and enjoyed playing. :salute:

Ray of Sunshine
Glad you enjoyed the map and I hope you saved where you'd got to.. :-P

There are, indeed "only" 33 cities on "big E" which aren't enough to get you access to "D-Ring". So you are right in that respect.
However, once you've hauled 1500 loads on "Big E", you will gain access to "Island Nation" (actually three island located between "Big E" and "D-Ring" at the top and bottom of the map), which will provide you with the extra cities you need. (ie not all 35 cities have to actually be on "Big E".)

Hope you can continue playing as you've got further than anyone else I know (other than me, obvious), isn't that right Hawk! ^**lylgh
Happy island hopping!!!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Yep! He got farther than me. ^**lylgh
Hawk
RayofSunshine
CEO

Thanks for the info Edbangor,

as I guess I was """assuming""" that the cities would have all been on Big E. Didn't think along the line of the obtaining of the 1500 loads to obtain the 35 cities. *!*!*!

My thoughts were along the line to delete the scenario, considering that the goal for the 35 cities was not possible, but had not gotten to that point, as I just loaded up 1 of the 4 other scenarios which I have been playing. When finished for the day, I had just shut the system down, thinking that I would take care of "whatever" the next day. ::!**!

So, will go back to see how the rest of the scenario plays. !**yaaa

Thanks again !$th_u$! for the info, and the scenario creation. Some imagination. :salute: !*th_up*!

Ray of Sunshine
RayofSunshine
CEO

EdLand v2 Unread post

I made some progress with the scenario, after making a number of mistakes in the process.

First. A requirement of 35 cities connected is to enable a player to get to other islands. The island of BigE only has 33 cities. Hence a player has to aggresively attain 15,000 loads to be able to connect with the number of Nation Islands.

Secondly. I usually run trains with 5 loads, with a minimum of 2. That doesn't work in this scenario. With 33 connected cities and 20 trains, I had only a total of 3,000 lds by 1955. Some what short, and even after changing the consists to the max of 8 lds, a player increases his total loads of approx 450 lds a year, which calculates to about 26 years, and brings a player into the 1970s, with little time to complete remaining goals.

3rdly, more trains can help, but there are some cities with only 2-3 houses, so at times there isn't any load available. Hence, my suggestion is to max out you consists right from the start, with maybe a 1-2 minimum, and a 0 minimum at the 2-3 house cities.
At least that is my suggestion.

I didn't buy or build any industries. Was more concerned with obtaining the 35 cities. Hence, although I believe that I loan a few bonds, after a few years there was usually good revenue to keep lay track each year.

I also did not invest into the "prospects" of newer engines. However, in the 50s there was only 2 electrices and the Challenger as an option. At that point I started to lay the electric track.

Naturally, this is not necessarily the way that our players will play. These are just suggestions, and not necessarily the best method or strategy. Just have fun. It is a very interesting scenario and challenge.

Hats off to Edbangor for his imagination and time to create such a scenario, and I believe a scenario well worth the time and effort to play. :salute:

Actually, hats off to all the map creators with their talents and time these scenarios require to complete. :salute:

Ray of Sunshne
edbangor
Dispatcher

Re: EdLand v2 Unread post

I was thinking about posting the 'proper' strategy for this map (ie the one I used to create it) but wanted to hold off until people had a go with their own.

However, most of what you did was correct, appart from running trains maxed out all the way though with a 0 min on all cities just to keep things moving (which like most things on this map is what I normally do anyway).
One tip I will give is that the route around Big E I usually follow is, starting a Lower Toe, (tip: Make sure you position your initial station so you can, eventually branch out to the nearby Island Nation) go along the bottom of the 'E', (connect the small island in the middle if you have the cash) up the back, and across the top. Then back to return to Lower Toe, and build in the other direction (the inside of the 'E'), until you reach the desert, not forgetting to crossover, as many times as you can so the freight can flow in any, and all directions (ie until every city is connected to every city in its eyeline) this will bring up the cargo numbers before you know it.

Interestingly, on an earlier (unposted) version of the map, you only needed to connect the 33 cities on Big-E to gain access to the D, and the islands weren't there. However, when I test played that, the cost of the suspension bridges to go right across was too expencive so I put in the islands to create a hoping point (Big E to South Island to Red Rock to D-ring is the easiest/cheepest). Of course, then I had to make sure the player would 'need' to do so which is how I ended up with what we now have.

The other goals don't have to wait until you gain access to D-Ring, as they should be worked on before then. Of course, the amount of track you lay will increse all the time, and becuase D-ring is so spread out, you should have enough money to track right the way around it in no time, assuming that is you have the money.
That brings me on to the industry profits goal. That too, as to be started on as early as possible, even if it is just by placing station support buildings (Hotels...etc) in any connected station with passengers - again this is part of my normal strategy. Once you have connected to South Island (particularly) the cash should be flowing in, enough to buy/build the rest you need to get into Military Island (itself a cash cow), and then on to a gold.

Anyway, hope someone will be able to get gold, before too long (other than me obviously) ^**lylgh
Last edited by edbangor on Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I started in Lower Toe the first time I played, connecting to Throdski and didn't get anywhere. I made no money at all. The second time I started in Throdski and connected to Pimle and still didn't get anywhere.
That's why the third time I started in Volcania. **!!!**

Haven't had time to try a fourth go at it.
Hawk
RayofSunshine
CEO

Okay fellas on the tips,

And when I started the 2nd attempt, my LIP was in debt, as I usually will place a PO at each station to try and hold the revenue load of mail. At least that worked with RT2, which posted a 50% reduction of revenue for failure to incorporate the PO.

Don't really know if it is of an advantage, as the Industry List always posts a minor negative -$1 for each.

But I made a mistake in the 1st thread. A person ""has"" to start early with the Industry as there is a goal for LIP, like you advised. Never paid attention to other amenity buildings.

In both attempts I started with the Lower Depot, cnn to the Lake side, branched to the Upper Depot, and then to Thorsia. Slow revenue, and nearly each year, when able, got a bond to continue lay track. And a couple of Logging Camps to offset the negative reports on my Lip.

Am having a problem with another scenario to get the commodities from the supplies required. So have other "irons in the fire" to try and keep pulling up the BRIEFS to find out what the goals.

Ray of Sunshine
Sugus
Engineer

I started my experiences with EdLand yesterday. After two not really promising tries I did a third one, where I first bought the saw mill in Throdski, the city I also decided to start at (instead of Lower Toe). Of course, it was important to look for enough lumber from the beginnings ...

In 1947 the Big E was "completed" and after 21 years I could see "6389 loads hauled". So, I now have to lunk around until the limit of 10000 is reached. But seems, that I better force the industres (now at 21 M) and make more money now to be ready for the "gathering D challenge".

Up to now: a map making great fun! !*th_up*! !*th_up*! !*th_up*!
There's no business like RT business ...
edbangor
Dispatcher

Sugus wrote: In 1947 the Big E was "completed" and after 21 years I could see "6389 loads hauled". So, I now have to lunk around until the limit of 10000 is reached. But seems, that I better force the industres (now at 21 M) and make more money now to be ready for the "gathering D challenge".

Up to now: a map making great fun! !*th_up*! !*th_up*! !*th_up*!
Oh now this seems promising !!clap!!
although it's actually 15,000 loads before the islands to open up !hairpull! (you may have confused with the 10,000 miles of track needed for silver) However if you connect everything to everything else (which will gain you track miles of course) it will soon happen.
But you are right to concentrate on getting the industry profits as those will take time, but do mount up over the length of the scenario and if you can sort out a source for the weapons and ammo (needed for gold) while you're at, all the better.
belbincolne
Engineer

I too had got to the stage where I was wondering where the extra cities were and then realised that carryings would provide them once I'd enough to get into the islands. Snag is well over half way through the time period I'm nowhere near even 50% of the number of loads required and my cash flow isn't very brilliant either - there seems little point doubling up on scarcely profitable trains so am puzzled as to how I'll be able to get to the next stage. Anyway I'll keep playing on.
RayofSunshine
CEO

As with Hawk's attempts,

My attempts a couple of times, still starting at the Lower Depot, cnn to Lake Side, Upper Depot, Thesia, and Pimple, it took 5 year approx., but only attainable with 4 bonds at a high interest rate, which eats up the profits. !hairpull! Trying to remember how I managed to get the 33 cnn cities on the first try, :?: even though it took 29 years, and only running 5 train consists. By running the max consists has not helped. will have to try something different. **!!!**

Ray of Sunshine
edbangor
Dispatcher

Has no one managed to get a medal, yet...

...guess that means I'm a better RT3'er than everyone else.... ::!**!
Sugus
Engineer

Seems that I can't change this situation! **!!!**
My promising try has gone to be a flop. 35 years passed till I had access to the Island Nations !hairpull! From my point of view, I was really too late to complete successfully. Therefore: immediate stop - wait some days - try it again! But on the next try, I'll invest for alternate engines, force industrial incomings and be more reserved concerning bonds.
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Another way to get the 35 cities is to take over the company that is on Island Nation. That's how I did it, after connecting all 33 on Big-E. There's a problem with the Ledger: it shows YTD Troops to Military Island, not LTD Troops. Also a problem with the Gold medal award. All it looks for is deliveries to Military Island, and doesn't test for the other medal requirements. I got Gold, but was way short on the Bronze and Silver requirements. The "Volcano" event needs to be changed to "Destroy all" rather than "Confiscate all". After the event, I found that my railroad owned all properties in the territory. Although it doesn't show up on the "Territory Access" map, taking over one of the other companies allows you to build track in that territory; it still shows as pink on the map, but I was able to build track on my first go when I took over the smallest railroad.
edbangor
Dispatcher

Wolverine@MSU wrote:Another way to get the 35 cities is to take over the company that is on Island Nation. That's how I did it, after connecting all 33 on Big-E. There's a problem with the Ledger: it shows YTD Troops to Military Island, not LTD Troops. Also a problem with the Gold medal award. All it looks for is deliveries to Military Island, and doesn't test for the other medal requirements. I got Gold, but was way short on the Bronze and Silver requirements. The "Volcano" event needs to be changed to "Destroy all" rather than "Confiscate all". After the event, I found that my railroad owned all properties in the territory. Although it doesn't show up on the "Territory Access" map, taking over one of the other companies allows you to build track in that territory; it still shows as pink on the map, but I was able to build track on my first go when I took over the smallest railroad.
Ah, right, now none of those would be an issue if you were playing the map on your own without the AI.
So I've now disabled any AI players so there's no longer a quick fix into territories which means there's now no way to get gold without having to have done enough to have won the previous medals. This was what I thought in the first place so hadn't included those conditions in the Gold Event (and still don't).

I've also fixed the ledger problem and the Volcania issues.

The new, updated version has been uploaded to Hawk.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

The new version is now available!
Hawk
Sugus
Engineer

Yes - once more really too late ^**lylgh

but it's unfortunately 15000 not 1500, isn't it?