Chunnel

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.05 and earlier.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Chunnel Unread post

The following text is a compilation of what was salvaged from the old Gathering Forum. It contains postings from several different people.
Thanks goes out to Wolverine for putting this all together.

Hawk

Chunnel
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I decided to play with the tunnel stuff. My new map is the Chunnel. Kind of in the beta test mode but in theory it works.
Go to the H&P Map Archive
http://www.exdx.net/RT2/MapArchive/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just updated this to version 1.1. Making it a little easier.
I found the chunnel (verion 1.40) un-gold-winnable, and I'm not alone. Any hints?
BTW did you fix the status-report-vars-yearly-initialization of non-Britain countries, meanwhile?
Site's Unavailable!
Naive question: do RT2 maps work on RT3?
I don't think so. Thay have a different extension (.gmp vs .map or .mp2).
Don't ask for a converter either, I saw earlier where that would be very difficult to do. Although an enterprising programming person might be able to do it.
The version I have says Chunnel 15 when I bring it up to play. Is this the latest version?
I've tried about 5 restarts tonight, I need to find a new start point. trying to go through the tunnel right away is killing me........lol
Great Map, very challenging!
Yes, 1.5 is the latest version.
That map is a bit different than other maps in that you would like the AI to do well so as to use them as local connects to your hubs. You can also take them over so as to gain their territorial rights, but unfortunately you may also gain their average speeds.
Has anyone gotten gold on this map yet? And if you did, have any hints please........lol
man this 1's tough
There are several problems in the events. In the ledger all the from passenger loads are YTD instead of LTD except for the UK. The event count for loads from Germany is YTD instead of LTD. So unless you haul 10 passengers from Germany in the last year you will not get the Silver or Gold. Also The variable is wrong on the Netherlands it should be 2 instead of 1.
I just checked after getting the requirments for gold finally but not reciveing it. This is a tough map that is for sure.
You are right, there were quite a few little problems. I just updated the map to version 1.6. I think I fixed them all.
I think I made this map before I upgraded my graphics card and some text in editor was disappearing.
I can't think of any other reason why I didn't see it.
I hope it is the one at the H & P Map Forum since that is where I am currently downloading from.
I do want to actually "get" the Gold since to meet the cash in my last Bronze effort I had to sell all my stock and short the AIs at the end. I think i can do better. The speed thing is of no great conncern to me having done the Orient Express and ran express from the start. I need to concentrate on more industry buying besides my initiall investments. You have to be quick on this map and a continent spanning system is required.
Since version 1.03 the AIs might actually survive. Nah.
If you take them over you get their territory rights. It might be cheaper than buying the rights themselves.
At H&P the Chunnel map is labelled 1.5 as of 2 minutes ago.
Well its the new version, Chunnel.
The Gold works.
I got it in March 2018. The AI servived but didnt do anything. I got control quick and paid myself back with dividends. I worked in chunks towards the cash goal. I developed Britan and coastal France before getting the other countries. Playing the ports is important and I was able to use most of them. Rubber and Tires are some big stumbing blocks to development of the full economic chain. I did issue some stock right befor the end to purchase some trains.
Details: Express speed 148
Company cash 1839K
PPS 61K Holdings: Me 682K
BVP 73K AI 9K
RPS 12.52K OI 235K
EPS 5.27
DPS 2.60K
WT %12
Details: Express speed 148

WoW! Talk about flying.
Do you think 60mph is too low? Maybe I should raise this to 100 mph?
Did you use the service buildings on a spur method?
No that average speed is really more of a fluke. I had a notion on waiting on express until I had a spanning system. I only ran E-88s on express traffic. I do use spurs on this map. I normally run more express earlier and generally use all sorts of locomotives on this map. That works out well with the 60 average. I think it is better to get on off in express earlier and take the proffits. One the messed up version I had a gold star on almost every express train. At the end of that I was running dinning cars on passenger only runs.
I made two channel tunnels in case one wanted to make an independent freight network and an express network. Did you think that would be useful?
The best use I have found for them so far is splitting traffic east west wise on the map. I put in 2 stations at London, east and west. The west one for French Traffic and the east for the low countries, the Letherlands and such. It seems better to connect up Germany before Italy. To make the money needed to expand on this map you have to develop most of the production chains. This itself presents a considerable challenge due to the distances involved. The good news is that there is some big money in this map.
Locomotive choices are important and there are plenty to choose from for a change. Running the most efficent railway possible to maximize proffits is critical. Extra savings can be made by leaving the service buildings on the main but waypointing them. With the propper locomotive selection for the route you can make 2 runs before servicing so this needs to be waypointed as such a run. Trains slowing in and out of service facilities tie up entire blocks of track so that is unsatisfactory.
Express traffic should be run early to get the proffits. With engine choices and waypointing 60 miles an hour can be maintained. Dont panic if it is in the 50s, this can be brought up later. By consecutivly choosing longer routes to put your express trains on you should generate alot of named trains. If you are connected to a city you need an express connection and leave minnimum haul to 0. I run both mail and passengers. Latter long distance passenger only with dinning car also seems a good choice.
Moggie
Conductor

Chunnel Unread post

An interesting scenario, I'm on my first playing of it now. A couple of typo's tho'. In the...well whatchamacallit, the last page on the yearly logbook, "Netherlands" is spelled "Letherlands". Also, the town of Le Havre has taken the form Le Harve.
Moggie
Dogs have masters, cats have staff.
Trainmaster's own Skimbleshanks :)
RayofSunshine
CEO

Re: Chunnel Unread post

Well Moggie,

Beside that of some spelling errors, you will find the Chunnel a verying interesting scenario. A player has different options of operations. NOW, if you like the Chunnel, I suggest that you play the Belfast-Bridge. That is some what different, but also an inveresting scenario as welll. Good Luck in either. :salute:
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Ray of Sunshine wrote:Well Moggie,

NOW, if you like the Chunnel, I suggest that you play the Belfast-Bridge.
Where can we get this one?
Boroin
Hobo

It's a RT2 scenario...
RayofSunshine
CEO

OOPS.

The scenario titled "Belfast Bridge" just popped into my memory bank. I had forgotten that I had done some research for another, actually "Greenland", and used my the RRT2 inventory discs, and evidently that title stayed in my memory. {,0,}

Now for some reason, I'm not able to find the Greenland. **!!!**
RayofSunshine
CEO

Okay Fellas,

I don't know where is may have come, but I do have the Belfast_Bridge as a RRT3 scenario. I found it in one of my minor folders, which I do, to separate those scenarios which I intend to play, from that of my major inventory folder.

And I didn't find any Belfast_Bridge in my RRT2 burned discs as Moggie indicated. So all is still a mystery as to its source. **!!!**

Now the scenario might have been "moved" from the major folder to that of the minor folder, but that doen't explain the source from where it was available for downloads. !hairpull!
RayofSunshine
CEO

My apology to all, especially Moggie,

As I had only viewed the title on the folder for the Belfast_Bridge. However, in my attempt to find the source """"again"""", I opened up the folder, to ascertain that it was actually a RRT3 scenario. Well, I was W-R-O-N-G, *!*!*! as the extension was MP2, the RRT2 extension.

I have no idea of why it would be with the RRT3 minor folder for scenarios to be played, as well as why I did not find it in my RRT2 burned discs. **!!!**

This needs more research. !hairpull!
Moggie
Conductor

Well, it wasn't me talking about the Belfast scenario anyway so no apology needed :-D .
Moggie
Boroin
Hobo

If this apology was for me, you're welcome...

...anyway "Un homme ne doit jamais rougir d'avouer qu'il a tort, il prouve qu'il plus sage aujourd'hui qu'hier"...
...in english it's : "A man have not to be ashame of being wrong, He prove that he is wiser today than yesterday"...
;-)

Edit : it's from Jean-Jacques Rousseau...
Moggie
Conductor

Getting better at this... but I overborrowed again and then didn't have money to connect Italy :-( . Another thing, it's kinda weird that the gold demand is personal cash and not personal net worth :-o . You'll have to sell your shares to meet that demand and in so doing ruin your company.
Moggie
RayofSunshine
CEO

Okay Moggie,

Selling all my stock was the answer to getting the GOLD for the CASH requirement. An interesting concept not used prior./

As a comment on the Belfast_Bridge. I finally found it in a RRT2 Inventory folder, that was a "back up" when my system had to be debugged. It would have had to originally been downloaded from the Hawk's RT2 Archives, but have not checked for it. Yet.

It is still a good scenario for challenge, but now that RRT3 has such better graphics, most players have set aside the earlier Editions. I intermittently go back to the GOLD or Platinum, just to enjoy the difference in the games which were created at that time. :salute: ::!**!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Ray of Sunshine wrote:It would have had to originally been downloaded from the Hawk's RT2 Archives, but have not checked for it.
Yep! It's in the archive here.
Hawk
Moggie
Conductor

I've been playing this scenario for a while now with no big success. A couple of points: the speed requirement is either ridiculous or demands an intimate knowledge of the formula it's calculated with and careful exploitation thereof. I find it hard to believe that trains that routinely run on cruising speeds of 200 mph+ cannot make a 60 mph average speed. Another problem is Italy. In ample time, I could not get enough passengers to and from Italy, even when a passenger could have traveled from Milan to Manchester, Paris, Amsterdam or Cologne on rails.
Moggie
RayofSunshine
CEO

Moggie,
It has been some time since I played this scenario, but don't remember having a problem such as you mention of both required speed, or passenger haul. **!!!**

What I would """try""" is to reboot the scenario to get a different stage. There are usually 3 different stages, each having different programming for economy, engine speeds, etc, and maybe that will be a better program to get the requirements you need.

I have had such situations in some of the scenarios I have played, and I know that a change in a stage can make the difference, but is just a suggestion, and not a cure.

Good Luck, as I know there are the challenges, but an interesting scenario. :salute:
Moggie
Conductor

Another question, does the game determine it or can the scenario maker make track always default to non-electric? Because that's a real pooch! You lay your track, construct the train and then it complains "no electric route" because the ****** thing has AGAIN changed to default non-electric.

I've also noticed how sturdy the Class 132 is. Only in the last few years of this scenario did the earliest 132's start crashing. Moderate speed, and very good value for money, those little locos. Just the ticket for cargo trains.
Moggie
Moggie
Conductor

Ok, this eats me up !hairpull! ! I was kicked out with an Off you go. All I needed for silver was 1 MORE MPH OF AVERAGE SPEED and 3 MORE PASSENGERS TO ITALY!
!hairpull! !hairpull! !hairpull!
Moggie
Moggie
Conductor

Yay, got silver :). Anyway, a couple of additions to the typo list, St. Etienne has 3 n's in the game and I think Marseilles is the correct spelling for that town, not Marseille

edit: since there's Milano and not Milan, and Köln and not Cologne...
Moggie
RayofSunshine
CEO

Well Moggie,

I have not gotten back to this thread for a while. And probably by this time you have just either "given up", or have gone to another scenario.

Any way, as I didn't have a problem, and I am not a whiz or Tycoon, I may just have been lucky. ^**lylgh

Anyway, from playing other scenarios, I believe that the "electric" trigger does have the probability to de-fault back to regular track. The only exception is that all the present track is electric, and hence it will stay in that position. *!*!*!

However, again, I have had scenarios which do not have 100% electric, and will stay in the electric position, until changed. So, I have found the situation in both circumstances, and don't know if it was a "glitch", or just part of that particular scenario. More likely a glitch, as I don't beleive that a user creator would want to change a programming input by PopTop **!!!**

Not much help, but hope that your endeavor with the Chunnel has been reached by this time. :salute:
wrm
Cat

i need help just plain uploading the map it won't go