This was Norrland

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.06.
Sugus
Engineer

This was Norrland Unread post

First of all: a map of my taste! !*th_up*!

Played it this evening on normal and got Silver only, because I was too short concerning some few loads of the yearly required hauls of iron. Anything else was done without real problems, but looking and - especially - finding enough hauls of iron was too tough. Maybe there should be one or two iron mine(s) more - or should I had to start the scenario repeatedly till there are more than in my only first try? (This remark is related to playing the map on hard or even expert level. Really enough resources?)

Final remark: the player should have the chance to be a "golden RT3 hero" before the 25 years have elapsed. So, please, change the winning conditions for Gold by replacing "= 25" with "<= 25"- or even kill this condition. (Normally, Gold conditions shouldn't be bound to a final date :-) ).

@AakeL: it was great fun to walk through your map! !$th_u$!
There's no business like RT business ...
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Re: This was Norrland Unread post

As with other haul requirements, you can increase your number of loads by hauling the same iron to several stations along the way to its final destination. Use a custom consist of iron only, and just have it stop/unload/reload at stations along the way to the final destination. Sometimes you need to decrease the minimum loads to account for a load that wanders away from the station or gets picked up by another train during the process. You could even put in extra stations along the way for the sole purpose of having loads conted as hauled as you make stops along the way to the final destination.
Moggie
Conductor

I used two or even three trains on the same route, Malmberget - Luleå. But that wasn't really effective. Incidently, either I didn't read properly or the time limit was not stated in briefing.
Moggie
Dogs have masters, cats have staff.
Trainmaster's own Skimbleshanks :)
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

I reached all of the target goals, but was not awarded a medal. Had a peek at the events and see that one of the Gold Medal trigger conditions is "Years elapsed since game start = 25", which means that you have to meet the other trigger conditions (connection, YTD iron haul, LTD loads) in that year. The Gold Medal Event should be changed to "Years elapsed since game start < or = 25", so as soon as you meet them, you get the medal.

I also see that the author has allowed building of all the houses etc. This really clutters up the building menu and is probably not necessary. It's a pretty easy scenario if you use the "multiple stops" for Iron loads as described in my previous post. There are also lots of spelling/grammar mistakes and not many events. With a little touching up and fleshing out with events, this would be a really good scenario. The map is really nice, with reasonable topography and a very nice paint job.
belbincolne
Engineer

Hadn't read this before I played. Never thought to put in multi stations to increase carryings but that obviously would help a lot. Also found that iron doesn't even move a short distance so needed to build a line to each mine and run a train. This too didn't work until I realised needed to be custom consist when it instantly filled up.

Main snag is that I couldn't understand what the goals were . How many times do you have to carry (35) loads of iron per year? Same with IP. Got Silver though not sure why!

Could easily improve the outcome now and it is a little different to the usual run of scenarios so may give it another try. Theres a lot of other ones to (re)attempt though now that Winters arrived and I'm indoors a lot more :-D :-? :-P
AakeL
Hobo

Hello there from AakeL, i have read you reviews of the earlier maps (This is(was) swe and norrland...)ones more, and tryed to understand them better. You know having to force the brain understanding english and spelling is tricky. Idid appreciate your remarks and now i think i have bettered myself with this new map(sended yesterday "This is home"). Tryed make it more interesting and enjoyable. Please if you feel like it try it out and give me strait critics (i can take it). Scenario building is all new to me glad for all the help i can get. Thanks. Aake Lindstroem Sweden Norrbotten Gammelstad. PS. could not find a mail ad so i sended from the quote :idea: tab. DS.
RayofSunshine
CEO

This is a very interesting scenario. I did not play it, as I believed that it was a scenario which I had played previously. Great terrain features as well as the concept of imagination and challenges. Not quite getting the result on the "hauls" as I would like, but ran into a problem with the calculations of the "iron hauls".
There was a "bulletin" or notice that my iron hauls were 3163, but then the yearly Game Status shows 638. The 638 being closer to the actual hauls.
Otherwise I have not had any problems with the programming, AND no crashes, which is always a "bonus". LOL
:salute: !*th_up*!
RayofSunshine
CEO

I stand corrected. That "bulletin" notice of 2162 is not for "iron haul" but that of the "total loads". My next year of playing, I checked the bulletin against my comment, to find that I was in error. Well, another error. Apology.
To my disappointment, I was given the notice that now "tunnels" can be constructed for 50% less. Good news, but I had just blasted a hole thru a mountain at a considerable cost. Live and let learn. *!*!*!
AakeL
Hobo

Hello to you all, i´ve been working really hard for about two weeks with these scenarios("this is Sweden" all new, and "this was norrland" corrected) and getting brieftexts to be more understandble. Gold is now for grabs at any time and ledger and dialogs/news stuff is better announced. God to be back, having just sended these to the Hawkadmin. for him to set up the new ver.(called them 101) if he thinks that is okej. AakeL.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

The new version is now available.
Hawk