Tongo

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.05 and earlier.
RayofSunshine
CEO

Tongo Unread post

Well, a person can always expect to see some surprises when they play any of OilCan's scenario. Most all went well for the first 4 years, but they the scenario had the addition of Tweke Forest logging camps. The 'generous' government awards a player with a $1,500 incentive toward a new lumber mill. In the initial expansion to get the logs hauled to a lumber mill, the cost was $1,7000. That lumber mill now has a price tag of $7,3000. The paper mill initially cost $900. that has now increased to $4,500. And that is just in 4 years. I can't imagine what the cost of those 2 industries will cost when the 3rd Nat'l Forest opens up logging camps in probably a few years. *!*!*!
OilCan
Engineer

Re: Tongo Unread post

RoS,
I'm not clear on what is happending with industry prices in your game. The cost of building a new lumber mill should remain at $1,500,000 for several years into the game (and the paper mill at $900,000). The game is not set up to increase the cost of building or buying new industry. Just the reverse. Later on in the game if you haul the right amount of steel, then the costs go down.

Was $7,300,000 the cost to build a new lumber mill in the town of Tweke or the town of Sieka?
RayofSunshine
CEO

Something is crazy. Today I went back to the scenario to play. Even though the scenario is in the Archives as being tested, and in order to see what the cost for the lumber mill might be with the 3rd Forest, I cheated to get an adequate amount to cover the $7,300 amount shown for a lumber mill in the menu. Now, until I clicked to place the lumber mill in Tweke, the price was shown as $7,300, but when I actually clicked the lumber mill in place, the price in the menu changed to $1,500.

That being said, I rebooted the game, not using the cheater, I clicked on the lumber mill, which still showed $7,300, but then was reduced to $1,500 once the lumber mill was placed at Tweke. Don't know if anyone is having this problem, but then I had some type of a problem with the Gilligan's Island, of not getting the Edited engine. **!!!**

Seeing that there is some malfunction with probably my system, I will just continue play, as it is a great challenge of imagination. Sorry for the incident. :salute: {,0,}
OilCan
Engineer

OK, I figured out what is happening. Building costs in the forests are 400% higher than normal. This was used to discourage a player from building a lumber mill or paper mill in the forest boundaries. When you hover a new building, such as a lumber mill, over the area of a forest, the costs show a 400% increase or $7,300K for the lumber mill. When the building is hovered outside the forest, the costs shown are normal ($1,500K for a lumber mill).

So, RoS, there is no problem with your computer or your game. Its a matter of whether you are hovering new buildings.
RulerofRails
CEO

I finished this one. I did a few different starts as strategy wise it wasn't immediately clear to me what I should focus on from the beginning (game goals themselves are defined clearly, I just wasn't sure which path to take to get there). At first I thought I should haul as many logs as possible, but as, out of principle I wanted to avoid re-hauling as much as possible (some still slip through) after a few years I thought this was a waste of good capital. Games where bond junkies like me can take out all bonds in the beginning (the warning wasn't enough to stop me) are difficult to buyout after a few years using margin (when starting at 10% ownership). Bonds really fuel growth in the critical period when I tend to have used all my margin in pursuit of 100% ownership. I had a few interruptions from playing and missed some opportunities I had intend to use, so I started again with less outside investor money for better PNW. I don't know what the ideal ratio is, but I took very little investor money (around 300k).

This map also encourages multiple companies, and I was able to start one as early as the second month. I ended up starting 3 industrial investment companies and followed the in-game tip to start with a Textile Mill. This way I started with 600-700k of my own money (from the margin) and just a little from outside investors as a bond will cover the rest. If there was one share outstanding, I bought that and then left the stock market alone. I did find it slightly annoying that after I had taken over those companies on pause to spend all their money and bonds on industry, they would issue stock once I returned to my main company. At first I was buying up the extra shares, but they kept doing it and eventually I realized that an extra takeover could simply buy back those issued stocks. *!*!*! So not so annoying after all.

I used the P-8 extensively until it disappeared, then used a few H-10s followed by Northerns. I like the option to hide the locos you aren't using. I also like the other events on this map, interesting and good quality as always! The map is nicely made also. Once I relaxed my playing style a bit, I could enjoy the map. Well done! I am guessing this is a finished map, but I did notice a couple of spelling mistakes. Nothing too major though. !*th_up*!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

My first attempt at this scenario netted me a Bronze. :oops:

Here's Dec. 1945
Tongo-Dec.jpg
Tongo-Dec.jpg (58.33 KiB) Viewed 6122 times
Here's Jan. 1946
Tongo-Jan.jpg
Tongo-Jan.jpg (58.85 KiB) Viewed 6122 times
This was a fun map. I'm going to try again. Maybe I'll do better, now that I know what to expect.
Hawk
RayofSunshine
CEO

Even on my 2nd attempt, I did find that when I clicked on the $750 for 400 track, what I would get some "pitance" of maybe 100. Didn't see any mention of this being a problem with Hawk or RulerofRails. **!!!**
Last edited by RayofSunshine on Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RulerofRails
CEO

Ray of Sunshine wrote:Even on my 2nd attempt, I did find that when I clicked on the $750 for 400 track, what I would get some "pitance" of maybe 100. Didn't see any mention of this being a problem with Hawk or Rub????. **!!!**
I never sold any track. Because I was doing my best to prevent re-hauling of Logs, I needed all I could get, and it was the limiting factor on my win. So, I didn't test this at all. Did just now, and my personal account goes up by the chosen amount at year end. Interest payments made to you, or interest you are charged, may blur the effects though.
RayofSunshine
CEO

No RulerofRails,
The $570 for 400 track was a ""purchase"", and not the sail. I did not opt out for the option of ""selling"". Being that I usually would have to puchase an amount, made no sense in selling, just to have to purchase more.

When the option to puchase track, a brown button would appear in the 'selection' button, so I know that the function was working, but 3 times that I reallllly paid attention, once I received "0", another "26" and the last time "100". Thought it odd, as neither you or Hawk made any "malfunction" remarks. **!!!** Just some more glitches which I keep getting. :salute: {,0,}
Hawk
The Big Dawg

OK! I know I'm not the best player around, far from it, but this is where I get confused as to how to go about it. **!!!**
Investment.jpg
Investment.jpg (53.51 KiB) Viewed 6105 times
Any tips would be greatly appreciated, and soon too so I can get back to my second attempt. ;-) :mrgreen:
Hawk
RulerofRails
CEO

Ray of Sunshine wrote:Just some more glitches which I keep getting.
I am sorry you get glitches with your game. You could try to take some screenshots to keep us further entertained and hopefully give us an opportunity to tell what is going on. It really is very simple. Just remember to push the "print screen" key on your keyboard when you see something strange. Then go into a simple graphic viewer program. I like Irfanview as it is simple, powerful and pretty easy to use, but there are many other programs that can do the same thing. Even the program called "Paint" that comes with Windows will do it.

Once in the program of your choice press "Ctrl+v" or alternatively find the briefcase that means Paste. This will put your screenshot in that program. It may be good to Resize the shot. In Paint the "Resize" button is in the main menu in plain view. In Irfanview go to the "Edit" menu to find Resize/Resample. All you need to do is make it maybe 75% of the original. If you can't work it out, you can skip this step.

The important step is to save the shot as a *.jpg file. You will need to go and select this option from among the file type possibilities. Make sure to put it somewhere you can find it. Then come on here and make a new post. Click on the "Upload attachment" tab below the box that you type your post in. Click "Browse" and find and select your file. Click "Add the file" and wait for a little while until a new area called POSTED ATTACHMENTS comes up on the screen. You will see the name of your file and just below it the option to "Place Inline". When you click this it will be added to your post where your cursor is. Congratulations, you have done it! !!clap!!

Hawk, I just saw your post. This notice you saw is triggered when your PNW reaches a certain level. It is simply a tip AFAICT. I pretty well outlined what I did in my earlier post. It isn't necessary to use multiple companies on this map, but seems to be something that is encouraged. The main legitimate advantage is being able to take out more bonds (20 per company) faster. I believe the key to this map is to start with little outside investor money in your company as the easy-to-get bonds will take care of the necessary early expansion. Once the money for the first Lumber Mill comes in, if you own 100% of your main company, your PNW will take a big boost and that is the point where I started a second company. Incidentally it was long before I received that message, but on an aborted start I had already seen it.

A couple of sheep farms with stacks in the red price zones are perfect to get these new companies rolling (if they have a supply of Corn, GREAT!). Remember to start with about 710k of capital (preferably all yours on margin) so you can take the bond and build the Textile Mill. The principle of finding and analyzing industry for best ROI is what you need for these companies to take advantage of their bonds early on. With a couple of these companies you are able to finance larger industrial projects sooner. For example, one company can build a Meat Packing Plant in a good location (red-orange Livestock prices) and the others can buy up all the Cattle Ranches around it.

I am not a big fan of multiple companies as they tend to complicate the game, but, seeing it is encouraged, I did it here. There are ways to cheat big time with multiple companies, i.e. short-sell them and run them into the ground, rinse and repeat, but if you use them conservatively they can be fun to experiment with more legitimate strategies. I think part of the intention here is to turn up their dividends once they are established to boost PNW, also buying them out with one another or your main company at elevated merger prices will help PNW. Maybe you would save on overhead if you split revenue among multiple companies and got the benefit from dividends, haven't tested that yet. I was intending to just write a little and let Oilcan stop by, but, I couldn't help myself. Hopefully you have some more ideas that you can enjoy trying. :-)
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I guess I wasn't specific enough in my post. I now what the message was saying, and I know what prompted it - having had a peak in the editor.
What my problem is: creating a new company and using that company to benefit my existing company. That's where my confusion comes in. How does one go about doing that?
I know how to start another company, and I do have more than 51% ownership of my current company, but what do you do then, and how can I make a profit for my company, or me, by doing that?
Hawk
RulerofRails
CEO

Probably, I am just repeating myself here, but this is all I have for now.

The main objective for a new company would be to increase your PNW. Obviously, the money you invest will grow as that company does. Paying dividends will make PNW grow too. The more extreme takeover option could be used to double your current share value in that company late in the game when your company has extra cash.

The way it can help your main company is the extra industry on the map will give you more processed (higher value) cargo to haul. More on the map means more money can be made by hauling freight. A new company can also be used to help joint-fund projects (as I said before). Keep the best investments for the main company and the worse ones for the others (be careful with bonds when doing this). Buying up farms and raw materials producers can keep them from disappearing and this will add further value to the map.

All these ways to help your company will happen automatically later in a game played with only one company. Using multiple companies speeds things along. Late in the game they are ripe for takeover, unless the possibility of saving some overhead is important (it may make a small difference, but that's the only advantage I can see). I took over one of my three "investment" companies late in the game and would have taken over the rest once cash was available if I hadn't received a medal yet.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

So you create a new company, build/buy an industry, resign form that company and go back to your company (all while on pause?).
Why not just buy/build that industry with your existing company? What's the advantage of starting a new company? Sure seems like a lot less hassle. :mrgreen:
Hawk
RulerofRails
CEO

Yes, I missed the bit about only controlling these "investment" companies on pause. It is possible to do it just once a year. This will eliminate some of the hassles. I don't often play with multiple companies, and it is definitely simpler without them. Using them this way (starting with 100% ownership) the ability to eventually take out 10M bonds in each company is probably the strongest reason I can think of. I am also interested what benefits Oilcan intended the player to receive. There is probably a few that I am missing.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Maybe he'll pop in soon and enlighten us. :mrgreen:
Hawk
RayofSunshine
CEO

Well RuleofRails and Hawk,
All this is very interesting, but I don't have the "working capabilites" with computers. I try different aspects which seem simple to user creators, but they don't work to my satisfactory. Just like using the Editor to "raise or lower" the landscape to make a more level terrain for manageable inclines. Tried a few times, but it was really a mess. Will leave such "workings" to others more inclined or talented. I just like to play, simply, and work around "stuff" within my capabilities. However, I will try the methods which are indicated by user creators, just to see how they "should" work. Thanks for the info. :salute: {,0,}
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Well, I finally got Gold, in Feb. '44. :mrgreen:
Tongo-Gold.jpg
Tongo-Gold.jpg (58.78 KiB) Viewed 4701 times
Hawk
RulerofRails
CEO

Congratulations, Hawk! !**yaaa

Did you end up starting multiple companies? How did you haul the Logs? Did you simply build Lumber Mills at the town close to the forests, and do the shortest routes practical?

RayofSunshine, I am aware you aren't too good with computers. Posting screenshots is one of the easiest things and I am confident you could learn it if you try. Up to you. Would like to see what bugs/strange things you are finding though, as I never saw an option to purchase track like you described while playing or in the events viewed in the editor.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

No, I didn't opt to start a new company. I just bought a bunch of industry with my original company. I probably could have won about 5 years earlier but I had a little difficulty getting enough track to connect the 50 cities. I spent the last 5 years just waiting for more track. Like you, I never saw an option to buy track as Ray mentioned, or I would have. :mrgreen:

I took your lead an started with the least amount of investor money as possible, giving me a better chance at 100% ownership, which I got in the first year.

I built the first lumber mill in Goma, along with a textile mill, a paper mill, a steal mill, and a meat packing plant. I also bought an aluminum mill and a tool & die in Goma. I had 2 stations in Goma.
Goma.jpg
Goma.jpg (24.1 KiB) Viewed 4692 times
I built the second limber mill in Aduku, along with a paper mill.

I built 2 lumber mills outside of the Seeta forest. One in Seeta and one in Poko.

When the first forest went dry I was lucky enough with the start seeding to have 4 logging camps close enough to Goma to continue to supply it.

I did take the offer for the logging camps outside of Bata.

As I said, my biggest problem was getting enough track to connect to what I wanted and needed.

I ended up with 4,100,000 shares of my company. I only had 59 trains.
Hawk