Isle of Norso - BETA

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.06.
OilCan
Engineer

Isle of Norso - BETA Unread post

This is a 1.06V game (BETA version). 100% PNW strategy with the goals to eliminate all other companies – 4 railroad rivals & 1 non-railroad company – and earn $300M in personal wealth. I did not give this game an ending date (something new for me), so the player does not have any time pressure to accomplish the goals.

The money maker for the player is ‘goods’ cargo. The map is built to support the three industry chains which result in goods (oil to plastic to goods, bauxite to aluminum to goods, coal/iron to steel to goods). The player has to decide on the best strategy to take advantage of the three chains. There are plenty of other resources on the island to help build a prosperous railroad.

There are two ways to start the game: buyout one of 2 existing railroads or start your own. Either option can result in a win. Buying out a railroad will give the player a jump-start. A ‘How to Win’ guide is included as a text file. (A text file loses the ability to use formatting to improve the readability of text, so be patient with its plain scroll of info.)

Any comments or suggestions for improvement are welcome.

NOTE: Beta version has been removed.
Last edited by OilCan on Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: Isle of Norso - BETA Unread post

I'm not very good at PNW goals, but I'll give it a shot.
Hawk
Hawk
The Big Dawg

OK! First question. How do you tell the market cap of a company (I told you this kind of stuff was my weak point ^**lylgh )
Hawk
OilCan
Engineer

Hawk wrote:OK! First question. How do you tell the market cap of a company (I told you this kind of stuff was my weak point ^**lylgh )
I thought about you, Hawk, when I posted this game. I know that you prefer to stay away from PNW goals. Glad you are making a stab at it.

I've posted where to find Market Cap.
Attachments
MarketCap2.JPG
MarketCap2.JPG (72.74 KiB) Viewed 7206 times
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Ah! Thank you. I'll let you know how I fair on this one.

For the past week I've been playing a new game I just got - The Settlers: Rise of an Empire. This map is just the excuse I need to take a break from it. :mrgreen:
Hawk
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Well, I tried. I guess this style of playing just isn't my cup of tea.
I tried following your guide and it seemed like I was getting nowhere. I just don't have the patience for the stupid AI. Whatever I changed, when I went back to my company those changes were gone, except for the new track and trains. I never could get the routing I wanted.
I felt like I was ignoring my railroad. The AI wasn't making me money fast enough to suit my wants. When I changed the dividends, the AI wouldn't leave it alone. They'd just lower it back to whatever it wanted.

I did learn one thing I didn't know before. I didn't know you could takeover Chairmanship of another company and use their money to double track your main lines. That's something I can take with me to future endeavors. :mrgreen:

Anyway, after 5 or 6 years of playing I just couldn't get into, following your guide. Nothing against your guide. It's just not my play style. Although I'll most likely try again without using your guide and see what I can do.
Hawk
OilCan
Engineer

Hawk wrote:Well, I tried. I guess this style of playing just isn't my cup of tea.
Understood. Thanks for giving it a try.

Let me know how The Settlers game goes. It looked very interesting & entertaining from the web.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

OilCan wrote:Let me know how The Settlers game goes. It looked very interesting & entertaining from the web.
I've been playing it for a little over a week now. There's plenty of maps to keep one occupied. Some are easy and some not so easy.
I usually don't get into theses types of games but I like this one.
I bought Settlers 6 from EBay and it comes with a second dvd called Eastern Realm, which is a little harder version. For $20. I got my money's worth.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380703616552?ss ... 1497.l2648
Hawk
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Well, try as I might, I just can't seem to get as enthused about this map as I need to be. It's just a little more involved than I care for. :mrgreen:
That said, here's where I stand.
IoN.jpg
IoN.jpg (42.22 KiB) Viewed 7175 times
I own over 51% of stock in 2 AI's, but I dread buying them out because I can't remember how to rename my trains. *!*!*!
Hawk
OilCan
Engineer

Hawk wrote:I own over 51% of stock in 2 AI's, but I dread buying them out because I can't remember how to rename my trains. *!*!*!
^**lylgh

Right before you merge with an AI out, pause the game, take over the AI company, go to the AI's train list, redo the train schedule to your liking, then leave the AI company and retake control of your own company. Still in pause, go through the merger. Bring to a boil and add spices to taste. :-D
Hawk
The Big Dawg

OilCan wrote:Bring to a boil and add spices to taste. :-D
^**lylgh Funny you should explain it like that. I just happen to be making a pot of red beans today.

I didn't think of doing it that way. I have been using the AI money to double track my track though. :mrgreen:

How do you rename trains though? I can't remember.
Hawk
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Hawk wrote:How do you rename trains though? I can't remember.
<Contro>+left-click on the train name either in the train list or manifest screen.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Ah! That's right. Thanks Wolvy. :salute:
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

Hawk wrote:Well, I tried. I guess this style of playing just isn't my cup of tea.
I tried following your guide and it seemed like I was getting nowhere. I just don't have the patience for the stupid AI. Whatever I changed, when I went back to my company those changes were gone, except for the new track and trains. I never could get the routing I wanted.
Yup. You can't control routing in an AI. It will always immediately change to whatever the game thinks is best. You can sometimes control dividends temporarily. Other times they will change immediately too.

I did learn one thing I didn't know before. I didn't know you could takeover Chairmanship of another company and use their money to double track your main lines. That's something I can take with me to future endeavors. :mrgreen:

It was mentioned in that thread you stickied. :mrgreen:
10/ If the company had large cash reserves, or if the sale of unprofitable industries generated a lot of cash, you may have a substantial amount left after sorting out the roster and the track. The best use for this is to improve your original company in some way, since that all gets credited to your original company's CBV. This can be done by double tracking some part of your system....
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Gumboots wrote:It was mentioned in that thread you stickied
I generally don't read posts that long so it's not surprising I missed it.
Hawk
RulerofRails
CEO

Since this place has been quiet lately and no one else has reported finishing this, I thought I should play it again for a "test" and for fun. (For those who don't know, I PMed Oilcan about this one when it first came out.) This was a fast not-so-careful play (3 hours real time, 15 years game time) starting as the Northern company. Quick and not so precise style, but still fun. I discovered a little more how book value is NOT transferred when confiscate events are used. This makes the early stock market more interesting with some different dynamics. A potentially useful thing I noticed was that some of the trains (which are well-routed BTW) don't stop at their first station instead just taking off into the distance on a "ghost run" which ignores territory rights. They continue to the other end of the map (end of the line), getting stuck there in the other companies territory. But maybe you have this issue sorted for the final version?
OilCan
Engineer

RulerofRails wrote:Since this place has been quiet lately and no one else has reported finishing this...
Thanks for the reminder. :salute: I have been so absorbed in preparing an 'Alaska' game map for beta testing that I did not go back to finish Isle of Norso. I will send Hawk the finished product this week-end. I also hope to post the Alaska game as a beta this week-end as well.
They continue to the other end of the map (end of the line), getting stuck there in the other companies territory. But maybe you have this issue sorted for the final version?
I fixed this (I think) by removing the culprit trains. I'm not sure what triggered it and I'm not sure it won't occur again with another train or trains.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Does this go in the 'Other Lands' section?
Hawk
OilCan
Engineer

Hawk wrote:Does this go in the 'Other Lands' section?
Yes, it is a fictitious island.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

That's what i thought. Just wanted to make sure.
I'll get it added in the morning. :salute:
Hawk