Sunshine Island - BETA3

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.06.
OilCan
Engineer

Sunshine Island - BETA3 Unread post

This is a 1.06 Version +BETA+ game.

Goals are to connect 4 sea ports, haul 7,500 loads and end with no company debt.
There is an offer for a platinum medal.

This game is dedicated to Ray of Sunshine. His preferences for train era, terrain, cargo flow, AI behavior and other features were used to create this game. Ray of Sunshine tested BETA1 & BETA2 last month.

Any comments or suggestions to improve the game are welcome.

Note: Removed BETA3 on April 24.
Last edited by OilCan on Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RulerofRails
CEO

Re: Sunshine Island - BETA3 Unread post

Nice scenario. Just gave it a whirl. Using satellite imagery, I think it works well to skip the trees. Good choice. !*th_up*!

I chose District 4 to start as Textile Mills are good ROI. (Knowing the Platinum goals I would have chosen differently, I believe since Steel is not a consumer cargo it needs the most time to accomplish even if you are well financed, as consumer cargoes are re-hauled naturally a lot). There wasn't really enough cargo in D4 for me to start with rails, so didn't lay rails until part way through the second year. The AI behaved very profitably and one expanded quite fast, so he got all the 777 goals except the seven cities which I just snagged. Relied very heavily on passengers with my expansion, in fact only while waiting for the Steel haul did LTD freight and industry revenue exceed that from express.

I was a bit confused with the AI takeover events. One AI had only connected 2 cities when I expanded past him and trapped him there by connecting the surrounding cities into my line as well as connecting to both ends of his line. There was no way that this short line was worth 5M so I chose not to buy. I had been expecting to have to still pay 3.5M from the earlier dialogue, but I was surprised with the news that I was an owner and partner with them but hadn't had to pay for this privilege. The words "stock-buyout" had me intrigued. How is this transaction happening/ or meant to be understood?

A suggestion would be to add some variety in the setback events (bluetongue, tetanus etc.) by checking each in a different month. Twice I had two of these events fire, one on top of the other which didn't feel natural.

Nice map, fun to play. Good to have lots of choices. !$th_u$!

PS. There is an error with the Furniture production increase event. GV3 should be set to 1 instead of 10, the effect event is looking for GV3=1. I sent you a PM with a couple of minor spelling mistakes I noticed.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Hawk
low_grade
Dispatcher

Platinum on Expert in Jan 1898, just two years to spare. Another good scenario from OC! A few false starts, but then I started as the best AI had done, and got all 777 awards, and the rewards just kept sustaining me.