Dash for Cash

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.05 and earlier.
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Dash for Cash Unread post

Hawk: How about adding a forum to discuss scenario strategies. You could move this there if and when you open one up.

This has to do with Dash for Cash. I tried this one several times on the Expert level and was shot down big time. The player is at a severe disadvantage compared to the AIs, who seem to be able to grow at a phenominal rate, while I struggle to get even a modest portfolio of industries and rails going. I was able to get Bronze on my second try, but was nowhere near making the Silver or Gold. I agree that the AIs need to be given a boost to make them competitive, but there doesn't seem to be any way to get a leg up on them when playing on Expert.

I was wondering whether the creator (Grandma Ruth) has ever gotten the Gold on Expert level. If so, I'll be convinced that it is possible and have at it again (and again, and again ...) until I beat it. In the meantime, by reverting to some "dirty tricks", all within the scope of the game (no cheats used) I was able to triumph. It was a somewhat hollow victory though, only tempered by the fact that I was enough of a "Tycoon" to figure out a solution.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

Done! :D
Hawk
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Unread post

WOW - That's service. Taking a look at the post times, it took you 7 minutes to process and implement my request. Don't you have a job? How can you spend so much time with this thing? Thanks Hawk!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

Yes, I do have a job. As a matter of fact I was about to leave for work when I saw your post.
I just couldn't resist the offer before leaving. :wink:
Hawk
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Unread post

To be honest, I can't remember if I did get gold on expert. I certainly did on hard, which is the level I usually test the games on - ("usually" - as though I'd done a million of 'em! ) I suppose I should test them on expert - thanks for the tip.

I'm in the middle of testing an RT2 game right now, which I'll abandon tonight and start again on expert. It's obvious once you think about it, if it works on expert it's going to work on any level below that.
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Unread post

I am reminded that we never finished this discussion - we got too busy with the new patch, I suspect.

This game was designed with and for the original game - not even the 1.05 patch, I think. The AI's are a lot more "intelligent" with the 1.06 patch so you might have to uninstall it to reproduce the original playing conditions.

To win, you need to gain the government contract for speed and prevent the AI's getting any of the bonuses. It is a very frustrating game and not easy but it is possible to get gold on "Hard". I never did try on "Expert", don't know if Wolverine did?
ChrisW
Watchman

Unread post

Grandma Ruth wrote:The AI's are a lot more "intelligent" with the 1.06 patch...
Now that's something I didn't know -- great reason to get the patch!
milo
Engineer

Unread post

Wouldn't say they're a >lot< more intelligent. Basically, they have more opportunities to buy industry now, and they're less likely to run empty trains. They'll still mess your company up if you let the board run it, though.
ChrisW
Watchman

Unread post

Good to know. 8)
davor
Cat

Re: Dash for Cash Unread post

I played this map yesterday on hard. Like the first poster said, it seems unreasonably hard to achieve silver or gold on this map. Even bronze given the circumstances.

But it's not the challenge that I don't like, it's the conditions under which I am challenged. The AI is very privileged here. It pays 500K for a 155K profit dairy farm, where I would have to pay 1370K for it. Building a new industry is more expensive than a very lucrative one. Stations are some 30% more expensive than normal. etc.

The government contracts I found uninspiring. Bonus for hauling passengers in the first 2-3 years is somewhat OK. But then whoever gets the highest average speed will have 500K until the end of the game. One of the AI's had actually two trains in mountainous area going either empty, or with one wagon... Anyway, the contracts purpose seems to counter the high prices, but to achieve them one has either to know them up front in case of passengers, or don't haul any cargo in case of speed. I think there are more interesting - and appropriate - contracts possible, like the first to build something, etc. (i.e. things that a real government would actually pay for.) Also, the assignments should be given at the start of the game, and not in the middle when you are out of money - and mostly stay that way.

So overall the only positive is the terrain. All the rest seems knocked together.
Last edited by davor on Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

What version of RT3 are you you playing the map on?
Hawk
davor
Cat

I followed your website: "Un-Official" RT3 1.06 Patch
Hawk
The Big Dawg

davor wrote:I followed your website: "Un-Official" RT3 1.06 Patch
If you go back up about 6 posts in this thread, to Grandma Ruth's post, you'll see she says the AI is a lot more intelligent in the 1.06 patch.

viewtopic.php?p=6331#p6331

This map does not require the 1.06 patch and probably shouldn't be played in it. Maybe you should try it in a 1.05 install.
Did you see this thread about multiple installs?

viewtopic.php?f=82&t=2363
Hawk
davor
Cat

Hawk wrote:
davor wrote:I followed your website: "Un-Official" RT3 1.06 Patch
If you go back up about 6 posts in this thread, to Grandma Ruth's post, you'll see she says the AI is a lot more intelligent in the 1.06 patch.
I read that but didn't think it was important.

Does that mean that if there is no "Requires the 1.06 Patch" note here one must better not play it with 1.06?
Hawk
The Big Dawg

As it says in the thread about multiple installs that I linked to previously, maps created in 1.05 or earlier my not play as intended in 1.06 due to changes made in 1.06.
Hawk