The Zany World of Baffania

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.06.
UncleJR
Hobo

The Zany World of Baffania Unread post

Has anybody else had a chance to play this map?

I found it an interesting map, and aside from a couple of tweaks (a couple of events that probably should have been one time only) it has proven to be quite a challenge.

I barely managed to make the bronze connection before time ran out, but still got the hobo !*00*!

I checked the win conditions and I had met them, so I don't know what's going on there. Without the capability to float bonds it was a struggle to even get there.

Anybody got any insight for this one?
proudcanadian
Conductor

Re: The Zany World of Baffania Unread post

I think the fact that you always have to check the "One time only event" box for every single event you make is one of the most annoying parts of the editor. Somewhere along the line I always seem to forget to check that box... :oops:

Funny why you would get the hobo, there should only be the two city connections, and if you connected, then you should have got bronze. I'll check the event on my end, but perhaps someone with more insight can figure this out.

Thanks for the comments!
I don't drive a dogsled to work, I don't live in an igloo, and we're the SECOND LARGEST COUNTRY ON EARTH!!!
proudcanadian
Conductor

Well, I went back and checked this, and I fixed several events that were supposed to be One time only. I found the error was not with the bronze event, but it was with the lose event :!: Turns out I just put GameYearMonth<=197101 and forgot to add the CompanyStationsConnects (Depot Harbour: Collins Inlet) is FALSE!!
Needless to say, I've fixed this, but I'm going to hold back on the fix, in case anyone else has comments. If anyone would like me to release it right away, just post it here. :salute:
Thanks as always. :-D
I don't drive a dogsled to work, I don't live in an igloo, and we're the SECOND LARGEST COUNTRY ON EARTH!!!
wsherrick
Engineer

played up to 1957. You have a good concept here. You need to fix those repetitive events. I played on medium and my railroad never could get above water. Perhaps you might allow for more economic growth over time. I managed to buy several industries and connect the whole island up and still was running in the red. Good job here Proud C. Just a little more tweaking and you'll have a winner. :-D
proudcanadian
Conductor

I've just sent an updated version to Hawk based on your comments. Thanks alot! :salute: {,0,}
Grandma Ruth
CEO

proudcanadian wrote:I've just sent an updated version to Hawk
Oh dear, you might have been too hasty! I've just finished a first run through and there's more! I will send you a PM about it as I think it might spoil it for people if we discuss events in great detail in the open forum.

I'll do it as soon as I can but the husband's calling me and I know my place!
"I will not take 'but' for an answer" - Langston Hughes
proudcanadian
Conductor

Sorry about this folks, :-( but it looks like I've still got some serious errors that need to be fixed.
Hawk, if you haven't done it already, perhaps you could hold off reposting it so I can fix some more things.

Sorry if it's an inconveniance. :-(
Hawk
The Big Dawg

No problem. :-D
I saw Ruth's post and figured I'd wait to hear from you before I uploaded the update.
Did you get my email?
Hawk
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

I don't know if this on was on Grandma Ruth's list, but the delivery event of 20 clothing to Southampton needs to be set to test against the territory and on-screen player's company. It also needs to be a one-time only event. I'm at about 1945, have access to all territories axcept Norgona and am doing pretty well. It took a few restarts to get a good starting map, with enough cargoes to make a go of it. Usually when PNY is a goal, I don't issue new stock, but on this one, I found that in order to get enough cash to expand, I had to issue stock at every new opportunity (two rounds each new year). Short sold the AIs and didn't buy much of my stock until a depression. Once established, and making lots of profits, I started buying back stock to raise my PNW.
I like the scanario, but agree with wsherrick that perhaps a bit more building density at the start would be helpful. I see it's set at 50% gamewide, so perhaps 60% or 70% would be better.
proudcanadian
Conductor

Well thanks to Grandma Ruth, I've got a lot of event mistakes sorted out. I'll just finish a couple more updates, and send a new version to Hawk. Thanks to everyone else who tried V1 :-D !
UncleJR
Hobo

Wolverine, how did you manage to get connected so early?

I struggled like mad to get access to the first territory, then really struggled to get the money together to hook up to the main port.

No bonds really puts the hurts to my general strat.

Are there warehouses and piers available? I forgot to check. :roll:
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Version 2 is now available. ::!**!
Hawk
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

UncleJR wrote:Wolverine, how did you manage to get connected so early?
I struggled like mad to get access to the first territory, then really struggled to get the money together to hook up to the main port.
No bonds really puts the hurts to my general strat.
Are there warehouses and piers available? I forgot to check. :roll:
I had lots of trouble my first time through too. There wasn't enough cargo to haul and make a profit at the outset of the game. In the second time around, I restarted the game several times until I had a good map with hauling opportunities between Hollin and Woodland? (Lumber in Woodland, a dairy farm on the way to Petersomething, and some stuff in Hollin to haul back). I issued two rounds of stock at the beginning of the year for several years to get the cash needed to expand and build a few very profitable industries. You have to look very carefully at the cargo overlay to identify particular cargoes that will make a lot of profit, then build the railroad lines to haul it. In about 1939, during a Recession/Depression, I put all company profits into buying back stock, and also bought stock myself. I hadn't done so at the outset because I was issuing so much stock that the share price was staying about constant from year to year.

Even though some of the events were broken in Version 1, I managed to meet all the goal and get Gold on Expert with a year or two to spare.
proudcanadian
Conductor

Congrats on the win Wolverine 8-)

Now let's see if anyone else can do it...
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

I'm going to give Version 2 a try, and I'll let you know how I do.
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

There are two events about hauling things to Southampton territory to get access somewhere else. One of them is to haul 20 lumber and the other is to haul 20 clothing. One of them is LTD (lifetime to date), i think it's the lumber, and the other (clothing) is YTD (year to date). Are they supposed to be different, or should they both be LTD (or YTD)?
proudcanadian
Conductor

They should both be LTD. I didn't notice a problem playing though, it all seemed fine to me. :-?
belbincolne
Engineer

Well I'm giving this a go on latest version. I've had no difficulty getting money (maybe a lucky seed). With no bonds I've been unable to buy industry so have made it all hauling. My problem is that though the two other companies in my teritory are bankrupt and shares both stand at $1 with cash debt of $2m and $7m they wont let me take them over so I can't get into the other teritories. I also don't understand the hauling requirements - none have appeared for me - have they been dropped on version 3?
proudcanadian
Conductor

No, the hauling requirements haven't been dropped, I don't know where you would get that idea... **!!!**

Why would you need to take over the other companies to acess the territories :?: If I remember correctly, that wasn't one of the requirements to enter any of the territories. All the access events should pop up once you get access to the next country.

No idea why they wouldn't pop up **!!!**
belbincolne
Engineer

Territories - you can't buy access to any, the AIs all have access to them all so that (should be) a relatively cheap way in.

There's nothing in the Alamanc or elsewhere to say there are haulage requirements except (the post here and) "after 5 years you will be offered a way to gain access to Peninsula". I'm 19 years in and don't think I have been offered anything. Don't know if its my bad memory or just that after 5 years I'd so little cash I wouldn't have been able to do anything anyway. If there had been an offer I'd normally have made a note of it so I could keep it in mind - if it was included with one of the "Zany" messages I could of course have missed it. Also per the post here you need to haul to Southampton and thats a territory where you don't have access.

I'm also a bit perplexed by the "Zany" messages as, although they are fun, they don't seem to have any purpose and so far as I can tell have no effect on game play.

Ah well, off to bed :-)