Adding Attachments to Posts

Please post questions or comments about the site or the forum here.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Adding Attachments to Posts Unread post

Adding attachments to posts is basically the same as with the old version of the forum, but with a couple of new features.

Note: None of this applies to images hosted somewhere else and linked to in your post.

To add an attachment, just click on the Attachment tab below the message box in the posting screen window. Then click on the Add files button.
Attach 1.jpg
Optionally, if you have more than one monitor, or the forum window is smaller than your desktop, you can also drag and drop files to the message box and it will upload. This option is good if you have more than one attachment to add. Just select all attachments, drag them to the message box and the forum will upload all of them.

Attach 2.jpg
The button that says 'Place inline' will add the attachment to the post wherever your mouse cursor is. This gives you the ability to add text to your post after the attachment. If your mouse cursor is at the end of the last line of text you typed, I suggest hitting the 'Enter' key on your keyboard twice before placing attachments inline. That will add a nice space between your last line of text and the attachment.
The attachment itself will add a space below it so hitting the 'Enter' key on your keyboard once is sufficient to add a nice space between the bottom of the image and your next line of text. The same is true with the 'hr' BBCode; the code that adds the blue horizontal bar.
New to this forum version is the file size and upload status columns. The status bar shows the progress of the attachment upload. The green check mark shows the attachment has finished uploading.

Comment entered into the File Comment box
Comment entered into the File Comment box
Also note the FILE COMMENT box. With this you can type a comment for that particular attachment and it will show in the post right under the attachment in italics, as seen with the above attachment.

This shots shows the attachments in your post, if you followed the above tips.
Attach 4.jpg

Attachment types allowed in posts are:

Archives - limited to 15 MB each.
  • rar
  • zip
  • 7z

Text - limited to 5 MB each.
  • ini
  • log
  • txt

Documents - limited to 5 MB each.
  • doc
  • pdf
  • rtf
  • xls

Images - limited to 5 MB each.
  • gif
  • jpeg
  • jpg
  • png
At this time I've not set an image size. Although I have set the forum to resize files to a thumbnail size of 300 pixels. Clicking on the thumbnail will show the image full size, or at least to the size of your monitor screen. To view the real full size image, if it's large than your monitor size, just click on the image again. You'll know if the image is larger than your monitor size because your mouse cursor will be a plus sign.
Mouse.jpg
Mouse.jpg (837 Bytes) Viewed 19663 times
If you'll notice, bmp and tga files are not on the list. That's because they can be huge in file size. As an example, a screenshot taken in RT3 saves by default in the tga format. The file size on my computer for that screenshot is 5 MB. That same screenshot converted to bmp format it's 3.75 MB. That same shot converted to png format is 1.38 MB, and converted to jpg format is only 151 KB.
Below is that screenshot in png, and jpg formats. I doubt many, if any folks will find a noticeable difference in image quality between the three. I tried to add the default tga file to this post but the forum software said it wasn't a valid file, even though I had tga checked as allowed for this post.

Here's the png.
RT3_08_25_15__08_59_23.png
Here's the jpg.
RT3_08_25_15__08_59_23.jpg
I use Irfanview (it's free) to do image conversions, with these settings.
png.jpg
jpg.jpg

If you have any questions, comments, criticisms, etc. please feel free to post in this thread.
Hawk