2-8-4 Berkshire Questions

Creating and Editing Rollingstock
hoborailcat
Hobo

2-8-4 Berkshire Questions Unread post

I've been trying to figure out locomotive creation for a little while and wanted to make a berkshire out of the H10 2-8-2 and the northern 4-8-4's trailing truck. I had pm'd nedfumphin and the pm is copied below. If anyone could provide guidance of assistance I would be very thankful of it.

I've been trying my hand at locomotive modding for the past few days, trying to make a 2-8-4 berkshire out of the H10 2-8-2. After reading the various tutorials on the forums I've been able to make new .lco and.car files, acquire a hex editor and .pk4 unpacker, and make copies of all the H10's .3dp files. From there, however, I've hit a wall. I've looked through pjay's notes, but I haven't been able to figure anything out from there, especially the hex editor. If you could give me any pointers on what to do from here I'd definitely appreciate it.
Bring Back Cass #7.
nedfumpkin
CEO

Re: 2-8-4 Berkshire Questions Unread post

You should post my reply too so people don't answer the same way. I pm'd you a copy of a program that will allow you to see the wireframes of the 3dp models.
hoborailcat
Hobo

Thank you, and here is the reply:

The 3dp files are the model parts for the locomotives. They contain the xyz points for what you see as a 3d frame that the skin fits over.

Since you are going from 2 trailing wheels to 4, you will want to replicate a set of wheels and position them accordingly. It may be easier to just use the trailing trucks from another locomotive and then position those accordingly. But you have to get the skin to line up as well. So make sure you can take the truck from a place that is free of sorts on the skin you will want to use.

What you need to do with the hex files is figure out the hex number series of threes (xyz) and convert them to decimal...draw an image on some paper and write the numbers down for each point. Then figure out where you want to move the points.
Bring Back Cass #7.
hoborailcat
Hobo

Just as an update, I've been able to hex edit the .lco and .car files to give it the name "2-8-4 Berkshire", along with hex editing the engine's stats (such as passenger appeal, fuel economy, ect). I've got all the .3dp files I think I need, but I don't know how to get them back into the rt3_3DPF.PK4 in the 3D folder.
Bring Back Cass #7.
Altoona+BeachCreek
Conductor

I would LOVE a Berkshire! Make sure it follows the NKP prototype styling!
"Train roll on, on down the line. Take me many miles from my home."
hoborailcat
Hobo

I'd like to make it basically the H10 without it's feedwater heater and equipped with the northern's rear bogie and tender.

EDIT:I've packed all the .dds's and .3ds's into a .pk4 file using winrar and put this file into the UserExtraContent folder. However, when I click on the engine in game to purchase it, an error appears stating "the pack element <BerkshireL_body.3dp> was not found". I've double checked and this file is in the .pk4.
Bring Back Cass #7.
nedfumpkin
CEO

Try putting the file in poptopextracontent.
hoborailcat
Hobo

Still gives me the same error.
Bring Back Cass #7.
nedfumpkin
CEO

try putting all the loose files in the userextracontent folder. This will ensure you have all the files.

I'm not sure if winrar packs the files properly. I always use the command line exe from the TM RS Developer's kit.
hoborailcat
Hobo

Strangely enough, whenever I try to click on the pack4 program, whether from the TM kit or from the UserSkinningTools folder, the program simply flashes on the screen quickly and closes down.
Bring Back Cass #7.
nedfumpkin
CEO

Because that's not how it works. It's a command line program, and you need a text file with a list of the files to pack.
Gumboots
CEO

I have noticed something with WinRAR before. It gives you several compression options, and the higher levels don't seem to extract well in some applications. The "normal" level seems ok anywhere.
hoborailcat
Hobo

I'll give it a try and let you know what happens.

EDIT: The "normal" option didn't make any difference and the pack4 program still refuses to load. At this point I've put off the packing since it's technically working in game, and began to experiment with the alpha channels. I'm trying to remove the feedwater heater, the rack it sits on, and the pipes leading to it. Does anyone know where on the flattened (Photoshop) model they are?
Bring Back Cass #7.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I don't know if this is an issue or not, but what Operating System are you running? If it's Vista or Win 7, are you running these utilities with admin privileges?
Hawk
hoborailcat
Hobo

I'm running XP with admin.
Bring Back Cass #7.
hoborailcat
Hobo

Well, I've decided against the alpha channels, as the look of the feedwater heater has grown on me. At this point, it's fully functional and in game. The only thing left to do is pack the individual files into a pk4 and it's ready for download. There is where the problem lies. I still haven't been able to successfully pack them. Perhaps, if I sent these files to someone, would they be able to pack them and send me the pk4? If so, it would be much appreciated as I think I've exhausted all options on my old dinosaur computer.
Bring Back Cass #7.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

If you're running XP, my comment should have no bearing on your situation. :salute:
Hawk
nedfumpkin
CEO

Oh you crazy kids with all your clicking!

Pack.exe works from the command prompt. In the RS Developer's kit, I have included a batch file that I use. It's actually quite easy.

1. create a folder and put all the files you want to pack in there.
2. Make a txt file with a list of the files you want packed. I always casll it "finalnameforpk4file".lst...i.e. berkshire.lst
3. Then copy in the 3 pack files you need. Pack4.exe, UnitC.exe, binlist2.exe
4. Then you run: pack4 berkshire.lst from the command line This can be in a batch file for all you crazy clicker kids. :)

I think there are different types of pk4 files, and winrar isn't making the right one. These files don't get compressed at all, they are just in the pk4 file as a collection.
hoborailcat
Hobo

When I try running the command I get an error stating "pack4 is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file".
Bring Back Cass #7.
nedfumpkin
CEO

you must be in the directory where all the files are located. Try using a batch file with pause as a command so you can see what is going on.