Deadwood Dakota

Topics on how to write scenarios for TrainMaster.
nedfumpkin
CEO

Re: Deadwood Dakota Unread post

Here's an updated version of this map that has a bunch of new stuff added. Still lots more to go. Still have to put in character and Indian events.

If you make your goals a year before the required date you can get cash bonuses. You can get robbed now. You can lose now. Hauling a lot of ammo or weapons lowers your security rating, but hauling troops raises it.

This will likely be the last beta I post since the events I'm writing now will remain secret until the final version.

Happy railroading.
Attachments
Deadwood.zip
(4.6 MiB) Downloaded 274 times
nedfumpkin
CEO

Anybody got any feedback? I am going to make some changes to the robberies since I got robbed 3 times in one year (1869) and lost about $700k! :)

I am also debating the track allotment and and wether to change it or not. The first 5 years put a lot of pressure on expansion, especially if you try to get the bonuses, which is possible, but it seemed that from 1879 onwards, you got a lot of track quickly so the pressure wasn't there it seemed.

Just curious how others are making out.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I plan on trying it, but I just had to put in a new hard drive and I'm still getting it set up.
Hawk
nedfumpkin
CEO

In tjat case you may as well hold off since I need to make changes.
Blackhawk
CEO

I'm off visiting family/home so I haven't had a chance to get around to it yet. Hopefully by the middle to end of next week I'll get a chance.
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

I downloaded it, but won't have a chance to try it until next week at the earliest. Will hold off until you post the newer version.
RulerofRails
CEO

Here's a screenshot of my first proper attempt at this map. This gives a little idea of where I was as far as the goals in 1900 which I assumed was the end of the map seeing the events seem to end after that.
Deadwood 1900.jpg
As a disclaimer I have to state that I built 16 Taverns on two of the map squares in Deadwood to test how they deal with "Gambling". At 800k total cost these were giving a revenue of approx 2.5M per year over the last 20 or so years of the game. Without this I would subtract maybe 30M from my personal cash. Unfortunately this is really an economic loophole with the positive 0.2 Gold -> 0.3 Gold going wild with "customer" numbers above 1,200 per year.

I love the track-gangs concept. I may have missed a month or two, but otherwise I was waiting for the gangs to be ready to lay the next section. On the plains I often built my track without un-pausing the game. I noticed that the numbers of track sections available in a month went down after a certain point even with the third gang of Asians becoming available. I assumed this was due to some adjustment trying to balance the sections available.

I haven't played the RT3 map this was based on before. I can see I was missing out. The work that the creator did in the Rockies is brilliant! The way they forged routes corresponding to those in reality is really nice. I only made one transcontinental line through the passes between Great Falls and Missoula via Helena and Butte. I connected to all the US towns by the end except for Reno which seems almost impossible to reach without using lots of track or insane grades.

My plan was to see how close I could get to 1 billion PNW. When I ended the game I was in normal economic condition. Even if it were Boom times, I would have had trouble having my stock value above 300M as the max I earned in a year was 31M and I was paying as much dividend as I could for a long time. I was pretty happy I achieved 500M personal cash, but I need to hone my skills some more before I could reach 1Bn PNW before 1900 even in boom times. (With more resources on the map this "goal" should be attainable.)

I ignored the Robberies except to hire as many guards as I could at year end. By the end my security rating was -78 as I was running my trains for profit and not for a good average speed. Thinking about it I could probably get some more Express revenue (I maxed at 12M) from this map if I made more effort to hit those average speeds as it sounds like Robberies reduce passenger numbers. Running 7-car+caboose Consolidation II's with mixed cargo throughout the map I was having a combined average of 20mph. From this I would say the 25mph should be realistic without making spurs which would waste too much track. I'll do this next time with some Hotels to boot. Might get me that much closer to 1Bn. I saw that some of you got annoyed by the frequent Robbery notices. It didn't faze me. In fact, whatever the notice that comes up, as long as it has something to do with my company is good. I feel like the creator made some effort to make the map special and that's great. Obviously, the Robberies are too frequent at the moment, but that doesn't spoil the map for me.

I saw some messages to be the only company so I bought out my competitors pretty early in the game. However, two of the old AI chairmen started new "shell" companies that I assume didn't have any track sections available as they just sat there throughout the rest of the game. I can see what Wolverine said that the West of the map is missing some resources such as Logging Camps that would make a connection there much more economically useful.

I like how resources (new farms/mines) are added to the map when certain new connections are made. Working out which connections are best strategically (without cheating by looking in the editor) should make this game quicker also. I am still trying to work out how to separate Hemp from Wool. My strategy of placing industries on the same square as the farm isn't working as I want to separate the Hemp that can go to the Paper Mill from the Wool that cannot while using both resources. Maybe I need to try some of the rail-yard structures.

Ned, nice going on this one. I hope that when you get time to finish it, my comments can be of some help. Thank-you. :salute: