The U.K.T.M. Project

Topics on how to write scenarios for TrainMaster.
Blackhawk
CEO

Re: The U.K.T.M. Project Unread post

If the mouse was frozen, I'm guessing you probably couldn't alt-tab to the task manager but that might have been worth a shot.

Strange that it's freezing everything and not just the game. Did you have these problems on a map just from scratch? or is it occurring when you do something specific? If you're using a map from RT3 in TM without previously clearing the map of incapable industries sometimes that can cause a crash but usually that doesn't freeze everything.
dazzharvey
Hobo

It's always on the map edit screen when i either try to paint or modify the land/ocean/rivers and if i try to lay track, Im 95% sure when i made the map i had to do it in RT (could be 1.04 could be 1.06) for the heightmap to work, im also fairly sure i cleared the industries when I saved it before saving it and importing to TM.

The thing that gets me is wouldn't it have started crashing earlier on in my editing and not a month after I started the map? I think that's why I originally thought it was a hardware fault, at least if i start afresh with the install then I know for sure as since I started the map I have added a few files from the downloads page to play about with, also it will keep me out of trouble for a wee while :lol:
brunom
Dispatcher

been lurking this topic.. :-)

want to send the map, and we'll see if is a problem with the map (can be) or with your installment?
(I don't have TM installed at the moment, so I am really offering someone else's help ;-) )

B
dazzharvey
Hobo

I could do sure - Thanks for helping - can you give me an hour to try something out 1st, I have a last minute theory in my head and wanna exhaust all options before I give up !hairpull!
nedfumpkin
CEO

Generally I can tell the reason when something is crashing based on when it happens, but here I am not sure exactly.

First, and foremost have to ensure you have installed correctly. I assume you did based on it not crashing earlier. But not so quick to say that.

If you can alt-tab then usually there is a window showing if you are missing files. Crashing can happen once you go to use the item whose files are not completely there, but until then you will be fine.

Are you using the update buildings list? I made a few corrections and haven't heard anything back so I am assuming they work fine. Just a thought.

And if all else fails, post the mpa here as an atachment....zipped first, and I can have a look at it.
dazzharvey
Hobo

I've reinstalled TM using Reto's installer and added maps and campaign files, then added my map, tried again and it froze a pc death again, so i rebooted and loaded up some campaign maps in the editor and tried to provoke it to fail, scolling in/out up/down side to side, going crazy - defacing the map short of ridiculousness and it kept working fine which suggests my map is to blame for this, I'm just trying to remember when I imported the heightmap was it through TM or 1.05 and would it make a difference if I had?
nedfumpkin
CEO

Yes, it makes a lot of difference. TM maps will work fine, but 1.05 and 1.06 maps may cause exactly the problem you are having if they are not completely clean. More than likely there is a building placed on the map that isn't in TM. Open it in 1.05 or 1.06 and remove the offending buildings. Then bring it into TM.
Blackhawk
CEO

Just importing a height map in 1.05 or 1.06 will probably be okay to work in TM. But once something gets placed (usually an industry) it may no longer transfer well to TM. The best thing to do is to make the map in TM to be sure it works but previously 1.06 maps have been converted to TM so it is possible if everything is done carefully.
dazzharvey
Hobo

I unchecked one of the industries and now it seems to work a peach - - - so far (fingers crossed) !$th_u$! everyone for getting me round this learning curve. Appreciated :-D
nedfumpkin
CEO

which industry?
dazzharvey
Hobo

there some weird port set up i was experimenting with, - was working a charm til 10 mins ago, then happened again, i'm checking all the industries through all towns and regions to see if i've missed something, i havent added that recent theme park file tweek yet, i'll try that next :)
nedfumpkin
CEO

Yes, delete all your building files and replace them with what's in the zip just to be sure.

Post the map so I can see.
dazzharvey
Hobo

Okies, the map needs a lick of paint still , aswell as a slightly bit of wonky land/ocean divide up the scottish islands, also was gonna ask about the CA02 map, I dont know if i was seeing things on that map but did a couple of new town or 2 spawn mid game or was that just the early signs of me going slightly bonkers? I switched my game on today but now as soon as i click load map on the editor and new scenario in single player the game dissapeers with no crash explanation, !*th_dwn*! i'll zip up the map for you to see if it gives you any bother, I seriously hope its nothing bad though :)

Cheers

Dazz
Attachments
Britain_TM.rar
let me know how it goes :)
(14.95 KiB) Downloaded 220 times
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I downloaded the map and it won't show up in my TM install, nor in my 1.05 or 1.06 installs.
The map is non-existent to all 3 of my installs.

Never seen that happen before. **!!!**
Hawk
dazzharvey
Hobo

It's puzzling, at least I know I'm not crazy the lol, I was working on it, saved it, it crashed again, cold reboot, then now my install don't work, it looks as if I need to clean install again
Blackhawk
CEO

Hawk wrote:I downloaded the map and it won't show up in my TM install, nor in my 1.05 or 1.06 installs.
The map is non-existent to all 3 of my installs.

Never seen that happen before. **!!!**
I tried 1.05, and 2 versions of TM. Then I remembered the size of the rar file, 15kb. The size of the map file, 20 mb.

I'm going to guess the map didn't zip/compress properly and so it's a corrupted file we've tried to use which explains why it doesn't show up.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

If it were a corrupted compression, WinRAR would have thrown up an error about CRC not matching, although going from 20 MB to 15 KB is quite unusual, even for WinRAR.
Hawk
nedfumpkin
CEO

The map didn't show up for me neither, so I looked at in hex and it is 21 meg of 0s. I'd say the map is corrupt somehow.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Kind'a sounds like an attack of Vista security. :-?
Hawk
nedfumpkin
CEO

Maybe...make sure you run TM as admin just to be safe.