RRT3 1.05, 106, and Windows Vista... a Fix

Tips & suggestions for a good RT3 playing environment.
Gumboots
CEO

Re: RRT3 1.05, 106, and Windows Vista... a Fix Unread post

You shouldn't need the 1.03 patch unless you are starting with a very old disc. Most discs include the Coast to Coast Expansion, which is Version 1.05.

That means the only patch you should need is the no-cd patch, which Hawk used to supply on request via PM (he was worried about it being seen as illegal software if freely distributed, but there's no problem with supplying it to people who have already bought the game).

Once you get it running, I'd also recommend using dgVoodoo. It gives a better result than running the old "Vista fix".
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Here's a link to the no-cd patch.

http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/no_cd/no_cd_patch.htm

I hid the link, except by request via PM, because I was asked to by one of the developers, but I don't think it's an issue anymore,
Gumboots wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:27 pm You shouldn't need the 1.03 patch unless you are starting with a very old disc. Most discs include the Coast to Coast Expansion, which is Version 1.05.
By the way, the Coast to Coast Expansion is v-1.04. The 1.05 patch shortly followed with only a couple minor fixes. But as you said, most cd versions are patched all the way to 1.05.
Hawk
mark
Cat

Hi folks,

after many years, I decided to try running RRT3 again. I already know the background of this issue (hardware T&L), but no matter what I tried, the game still won't start correctly. I tried the Vista patch by modifying the configuration, downloaded Voodoo wrapper and placed it in RT3 folder as described in this thread, even patched to 1.06. The only way I can start is by using -s2 safe mode, but crashes after attempting to render graphics. This happens on both Steam and GOG versions. As I am working on a brand-new laptop, it has no CD/DVD drive. I am unable to find anything else how to fix this. :-(

I use Windows 10 Home and Nvidia RTX 2070 Max-Q as my GPU. RRT3 started without problems and without any config fiddling on my previous machine, which has Windows 8 and a GTX card. Any help would be appreciated.

Mark
Gumboots
CEO

Ok, first point is don't try to mix the "Vista fix" with dgVoodoo. I'd ignore the old "fix" since it is way outdated now (I should remove it from the site: makes note to self).

I find that with an nVidia card and Windows 10 the game runs perfectly with dgVoodoo added and with Hardware T&L enabled. However, I am running an installation from an original disc (with no-cd patch) and have not tried either the Steam or GoG versions.

I believe the GoG version has been patched so it runs with Hardware T&L enabled by default (RulerofRails runs this, I think). Not sure about the Steam version, but Steam is notorious for reverting any changes people make, so is probably not the best choice for RT3.
RulerofRails
CEO

Disclaimer: I don't have such a new PC myself. I use the GoG version. Will focus on that.

By default the GoG version has the so-called "Vista Fix" applied, that means the configuration is set to disable Hardware T&L. If that's not even working, that's a rather extreme case. It's useless to try the "Vista Fix" config file.

As Gumboots said, dgVoodoo needs Hardware T&L allowed to be of any benefit. That means you need a default config file, and to put that in place of the GoG-default patched one. Here's one:
config using Hardware T_L.zip
(245 Bytes) Downloaded 269 times

For the GoG version you need to take the dgVoodoo D3D8.dll file and rename it to "d8tx.dll", then overwrite the file that comes with the install.

You should definitely run the config for dgVoodoo. Especially to increase the VRAM in the DirectX tab. If things are still not working after that, you could experiment with some of the other settings there.

PS.
Did you try to run the game in compatibility mode?
mark
Cat

Hi,

I have tried the suggested steps with the GoG version, but even after I replaced the default configs and the d8tx.dll file and also increased dgVoodoo VRAM to 1024 MB, and copied all MS files from dgVoodoo just in case, startup still fails with the same error. So I must have some sort of extreme case.

Perhaps the dgVoodoo config must be in the same folder as the game?
mark
Cat

And I tried to run using Compatibility mode with Windows 8, Vista and XP, but that failed also.
mark
Cat

I have also tried to do this: run this game on Steam on Windows 8 on my old machine where it works, disable T&L, and copy the settings on my new machine. But neither Steam nor GOG will start even with this modified config, and I did so on fresh install in both cases. So much for my hopes...
zzc
Watchman

I have the gog version on windows 10 64 bit, and running fine with disable t&l. Run as Admin set. No other compatibility options. RRt3 also cannot run if the integrated graphics is disabled, I tried it. So I just set the win display settings to run it at high performance - uses the GPU instead. Maybe this could help you?
RulerofRails
CEO

That's not good news for the latest Nvidia cards. Typical that Nvidia is causing problems again.

There is an older solution that is based on wine. I used it before someone shared dgVoodoo. Check this link. viewtopic.php?p=40962#p38902 I haven't used that in some years now. It's not as good a solution as dgVoodoo, but in your case maybe it's worth trying.

PS. It probably wont make a difference, but did you move the install out of Program Files? Also, did you check settings in Nvidia Control Panel? Obviously I don't know your card, but maybe there's something there to try out.
mark
Cat

I am afraid that my efforts to start this game came at nothing. Already sick of seeing "No hardware accelerated DirectX 8.1 devices/drivers were found".
I did a fresh install out of original discs on my old machine (as it has CD/DVD drive), patched it to 1.05 and applied no-cd. Started first time correctly.

I copied the install here, and added wine to RT3 folder as described, disabled compatibility mode and run as admin but again it failed, same goes for GOG and Steam versions. And I see nothing in my Nvidia control panel or general settings that could help. I would like to thank for your advice, even it ultimately did not help. Seems like I'll have to play it on my old machine.

Perhaps there is another file missing? I can't believe someone else on Win 10 64-bit has it running fine and can't do so the same here...
mark
Cat

During my investigation I also found that integrated graphics is disabled, so I have just downloaded a corresponding driver and now it shows up as display adapter in settings. But I do not see how it could improve my chances.

PS: I also moved the install out of Program Files to another folder. Zero difference.
RulerofRails
CEO

mark wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:28 pmAlready sick of seeing "No hardware accelerated DirectX 8.1 devices/drivers were found".
Ok. Is this the error message you were getting all along? If you search the web for this, the main hits are on the steam forum for RT3.

For example this guy seems to have a very similar problem.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/7610/dis ... 745429124/

I didn't have a chance to go through all the results right now. No-one seemed to have a solid fix. There is one titled for this bug: https://steamcommunity.com/app/7610/dis ... 155879440/ At the end someone claimed to have gotten around it by using forced 640x480 in comptability. That doesn't seem too useful though, who wants to play at 480p?

In my little search I came across this:
https://community.amd.com/thread/243932

It's for an AMD card but it seems that some legacy stuff needs to be turned on in his case.

Further on we find this:
Windows 10 for instance doesn't even natively support before Direct X 11 now. It uses a wrapper, kind of an emulation to process it in DX 11
I also read that DirectPlay is legacy in Win 10 now and must be manually turned on. However, I don't think RT3 uses DirectPlay.

I'm a little surprised you would see that error for DirectX 8.1 after installing dgVoodoo. In the DirectX page there are specific cards you can emulate. dgVoodoo should get around such a problem. It's quite strange that it doesn't. . . .
zzc
Watchman

Win 10 has an update that destroyed directx somehow. Search for "xaudio2_7.dll crash" Maybe win vista got the same update?

Some of my legacy games just kept crashing, or could not start. The solution I used was;

move/copy the offending dll out of OS drive.
make a copy of a later xaudio file and give it the same name. The legacy games are playable but lose sound.

However I can play my gog RT3 fine with full sounds.
mark
Cat

You see, I placed all the dgVoodoo wrapper files directly in the folder containing RT3 executable in all three instances. But no matter which card do I choose to emulate, it still crashes with absolutely the same error.

So something present in Windows 8.1 is either no longer there or is destroyed. I do not think this is a sound issue, as I can start the game windowed with sound playing in the background. Do I have to place the dgVoodoo config folder files (not just the wrapper itself) in the same folder as RRT3?
RulerofRails
CEO

What do you mean by "I can start the game windowed with sound playing in the background"? Is this problem only affecting fullscreen?

Not sure what you mean by "config files". The way to make a config file for dgVoodoo is to run "dgVoodooCpl.exe". When you make a change and hit apply it will create a config file at the location indicated in the address bar at the top. If you want you could point that to the game folder. I didn't do it myself, but surely it can't hurt anything to try.

Maybe you can try running a noCD executable: viewtopic.php?p=41934#p41934 . Paste this in your GoG install folder. Running this should be done with an un-renamed "D3D8.dll". Just in case something went wrong with the rename step. . . .

Note: When placing in the game folder, make sure that you put the ".dll" file there directly, it can't be in a folder.

It might be worth checking the included documentation for dgVoodoo. He does recommend to also put the DirectDraw ".dll" (DDraw.dll) as games may use it for an opening video even if mainly using DirectX. For RT3 I suspect the binkw32.dll has something to do with playing the start-up video. For the videos play fine through dgVoodoo for me without "DDraw.dll" in the game folder.

In the past he mentioned making sure you have "D3DCompiler_47.dll" in "C:\Windows\System32". I'm pretty sure this is standard on Win 10. But it can't hurt to look. Also check for "D3DCompiler_43.dll"

Also, at the end of the ReadmeDirectX we find this:
Some of the DX dlls (ddraw.dll, d3d8.dll) are registered in the KnownDLLs section of the Windows registry. When they are then the operating system always loads the system versions of those dlls. Removing the entries from
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\KnownDLLs"
is undangerous and can be safely done with Regedit. This issue causes the majority of the problems.
Might be worth checking that also.
mark
Cat

Okay, for clarification: I actually meant it's possible to start the game windowed AND minimized. Opening the screen does crash the game. I have meanwhile checked registry for the DLLs mentioned, but to my disappointment there war neither of them to delete.

I will try the other suggested steps shortly.
Gumboots
CEO

D3DCompiler_47.dll is standard on W10 64 bit, so unless W10 itself has been messed with that file should be good to go.
mark
Cat

I see D3DCompiler_47.dll in Windows\System32. So what do you suggest to do? Leave it alone? Or replace it with the downloaded compiler?
RulerofRails
CEO

If you already have it, you have it. As far as I could tell, the one provided is not indicated as special/modified, it's just a "default" one for cases where the user doesn't have it.

I had a thought with that info about the game starting when minimized, going along with something about 640X480 from the steam thread. Did you try to downgrade refresh rate, resolution, any other settings to something basic to try if it works then?