Modern Africa

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.05 and earlier.
UncleJR
Hobo

Modern Africa Unread post

Has anybody plaid this?

I d/l it and have absolutely no idea how to get a start on this one.

Any help is appreciated.
Gandar
Brakeman

Re: Modern Africa Unread post

I tried this map after I read your post,its a big map and I had problems earning enough money running trains. I got gold on expert but i had to concentrate on industry to do it. There was no charge for the territory of Angola and there was a lumber camp there so I built a lumber mill beside it and a paper mill and then a furniture factory after that the money started coming in. and it was just a case of building industry with some trains feeding supplies. Make sure you have plenty of cash when you take over the ai companies if you do it too soon its hard to dig out of the debt, also don't forget you have 55 years to complete
the scenario you have lots of time.
I got up and the world was still here, isn't that wonderful ?
belbincolne
Engineer

I could only vaguely remember playing this several years ago so gave it another try. As Gander says an Industry start is the only way and I was doing quite well on a couple of starts BUT after about 15 years the scenario crashed and wouldn't go past this point. I vaguely remeber that the same thing happened to me the previous time which is why I can't recall much about it. Giving up on it therefor.
ostlandr
Brakeman

After a few false starts I started in Angola, built a station on the border by the river to capture oil coming down, and built a lumber mill. So far so good.
Now that I know the Red Devil was a real locomotive and not fictional, I feel less guilty buying them. :oops:
Watch this space for Equus Ferrius Corporation's website! Soon to build biomass fueled steam locomotives, and lease a short line. We're going for it!
NSB

I have played this scenario many times and for me the key to gold is always Uranium.
I by as many Uranium mines I can afford and then I build a line that feeds Uranium from rural areas in Western parts of Africa to the nearest Nuclear Power Plant.
I don't buy the Nuclear Power Plant because they are to expensive and the profit they generate varies.
Now I have a steady income and can focus on the tasks.
The first company I merge with is the smallest company i South Africa. I retire all their trains and linkup my tracks with the tracks with the other to companies i South Africa.
And now I receive misc revenues from their trains using my tracks.
Then it's just a matter of continuous expansion and Uranium transport.
The killer on this scenario is the 60 mill PNV. You need Prosperity or Boom times for at least the last 10-15 years in order to make it.
If you get hit by recession or depression it's impossible.
Jeremy Mac Donald
Watchman

Four openings in this scenario and some general guidelines.

Guideline #1 is that the trains are ultra modern and one can do a good job servicing a fairly large area.
Guideline #2 is that, as noted by everyone above, this scenario is an industry start.

Possible Openings...note these are the ones I think are viable. There are actually a few more but I think they are just notably worse. Ranked from worst to first but it is important to recognize that the seed plays a big part in whether an opening is good or not.

#4: East Africa: The idea here is to make clothes and possibly alcohol connect up the area and then make big bucks for a while carrying the resources out of the lowlands and to other parts of Africa. This is a tough start and chances of failure reasonably high.

#3: Angola: Free territory to start is pretty nice and there is often a fair number of resources flowing through the area but only one city usually makes this a pretty slow start and the direction one must expand to is not necessarily the best.

#2: Central West Africa: Here what you are looking for is if there is lots of coal and lots of iron and a steel mill will be able to capture both by being placed in the middle (as one resource tends to come from the south and the other from the north) and then make and carry steel to other industries that need them. Then carry the finished goods. It is often also possible to make a number of other profitable industries here as well and when this all takes off a fortune will be made.

#1: Sudan: Almost invariably there is a vast amount of Oil flowing through the area that can be refined to Gas - Also some Plastics to Toys and Goods. This is also where a lot of Uranium Starts and their mines plus carrying the Uranium to a distant Nuclear Power Plant is very profitable. Finally, it is easy to link up the other parts of the map from here eventually bringing Tires from the South and Steel from the West to make Cars or Weapons (or both). Vast profits from the initial Refinery tend to make the rest of the scenario much smoother sailing.