Oregon Jumpstart 1829

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.05 and earlier.
BikerTim
Brakeman

Oregon Jumpstart 1829 Unread post

:?: How soon is this going to finish being a beta test map and become a full-fledged scenario? Oregon is one of my favorite states. I lived there for nine years. So I would really like to try this one.
Life is not fair, but it is still good.
BikerTim
Brakeman

Re: Oregon Jumpstart 1829 Unread post

Now I think I get it. A beta test map is one that people (myself included) are supposed to test out and see how it can be improved upon. I have now played this scenario once. I really like this scenario. Like just about everything else in RT3, I enjoyed it immensely. Couldn't stop playing it. I particularly liked the intermediate goals based upon places that suddenly became "hot spots", such as Baker City.

But I also feel this scenario has room for improvement. First off, I achieved gold medal on my first attempt with 17 years to spare. That was too easy. So first I would shorten the time period for the scenario, perhaps starting in 1841 and ending in 1870. 30 years is a good length for a scenario. Oregon, California, and Nevada all became states during this time. Washington and Idaho did not achieve statehood until later, but both started getting substantive settlement then. This time period also encompasses the Civil War.

Another suggestion involves the neighboring states. The $1,000 entrance fee is too much of a pittance. Either make it something substantive, or just grant free access. Another possibility might be to attach some kind of rewards or penalties regarding the tiny entrance fee, but I cannot think anything right off hand. Also, perhaps make some medal conditions contingent on something involving the neighboring states. They would all have their needs and desires that a railroad connecting them with Oregon could help fulfill.

As always, I would add more cities to the scenario, but that is more of a personal preference. I would probably add Arlington and Maupin (both located in Oregon) to the mix. Perhaps a few others, but I would have to study the map some more to decide which ones.

Those are my comments. Please let me know what you all think.

!#2bits#!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

BikerTim wrote:Now I think I get it. A beta test map is one that people (myself included) are supposed to test out and see how it can be improved upon.
You got it Tim. !*th_up*!
Problem is; Marco doesn't appear to be a member here so I don't know if he'll see this thread, unfortunately.
Hawk
BikerTim
Brakeman

I just got done playing this one for the second time. First time, I got gold on medium difficulty with 17 years to spare. This time, I got gold on expert level with about 10 years left to spare. That tells me that this scenario is still too easy. So I am sticking by my opinion that the time length should be shortened, to about 30 years, and also have a later start date.

A couple more comments. First, the eastern part of the state is way too sparse. Granted, it never has been as well-settled as the west, but it is not vacant. After the Civil War, the eastern part of Oregon did develop viable ranching, grain farming, and mining interests. In the west, it is certainly appropriate that it have abundant logging camps, lumber mills, and paper mills. While the paper supplies tend to be pretty adequate, the map gets flooded with lumber and logs. Because toy factories and furniture factories do not appear until 1880, it might be a good idea to find other ways to use the lumber. Having ports that demand lumber helps. Perhaps some warehouses that demand lumber could be placed at the non-ocean edges of the map. Also, during the Civil War, and perhaps also to help with the Indian wars, a weapons factory might be a good idea.

For what it's worth, that's my opinion.

!#2bits#!
low_grade
Dispatcher

You should go ahead and make those adjustments yourself and post your version to the site! I think such liberties are acceptable here, so long as credit for the original beta is maintained.
HayManMarc
Cat

Thank you for the kind words and great suggestions about my scenario! Sorry, I've been out of the loop for quite a while. Life has a way of making you do other things.

Anyway, good news and bad news. Mostly bad. I did do some more work on this map a long while back, but that was two computers ago (Hard drive crashes). I can't remember if I was able to get the updated map saved on CD or not. I should have uploaded the file back then, but I didn't want to because it was almost finished and I was going to wait for the end product. (dangit! That's what I get for thinking!) Also, we have moved to a new town since then. I've got a lot of computer stuff in boxes, so if I did get it saved, it's probably in storage. Deep....in storage. But, I'll look around for it.

I would love to finally finish this map and be done with it. I'm frustrated with it a little bit now because of the lost work so I'm finding it hard to motivate myself in that direction. It's been quite a while since the crashes, so it doesn't sting quite as much now. Hopefully, when I do get to working on it, it will all come together easily and I'll remember the changes I wanted to make. I downloaded the scenario from here, and saved it onto CD, so there's a start.

Another thing I did was junk the old computer along with MS Windows and switched to a Linux machine. I can play RRT2 with it, but sadly, not 3. Someday I'll get me a good Windows machine, but until then, it's old school for me. I really enjoyed making this scenario, and I hope to finish it up one of these days. Don't look for it anytime soon, tho. I gotta get a machine to run it on first. Sorry for such the delay. ----HayManMarc (formerly 'Marco')

!hairpull!