Mozambique Coast

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.05 and earlier.
brunom
Dispatcher

new map: Moz&Mal - exports economy Unread post

Hi folks.

Still not ready, as i am having trouble working the events.
But... i :salute: humbly submit this for reviews.

This is (will be) a map based on export economy. It covers the area of Malawi and most of Mozambique, as well as a bit of Zimbabwe (Rhodesia at the time) and Tanzania (East German Africa).

Please grab, comment and correct if you like.

Many thx
BrunoM
brunom
Dispatcher

Re: new map: Moz&Mal - exports economy Unread post

So i figured out what was wrong with my Events Editor and managed to complete the map.

Here's a Beta version for your comments and corrections please. :-o

brunom

-- Attachment deleted --
Last edited by brunom on Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Is this a 1.05 or 1.06 map?
Hawk
The Big Dawg

It's for 1.05

I haven't had a chance to actually play it yet but I did have to load the map 3 times before there was ever a port built.
Maybe you might consider bumping the port percentage rate up a bit in the editor.
Hawk
brunom
Dispatcher

Reviewed Beta.

I made it a little harder, was too easy for Medium level. Didn't try other levels.
To be honest, i think the kind of target i have set for medals is pretty rare and difficult to guarantee, so i reckon this will be challenging even on medium.

Ports work ok now - building probabilities were tweaked.

-- Attachment deleted --
Last edited by brunom on Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I just fired up the map and had a look in the editor and thought I'd list some observations about the events.

1) As it stands, your map doesn't have a lot of events, but if you were to add a lot more it's generally a good idea to have the Bronze and Silver events check yearly instead of monthly (leave Gold checking monthly though). On maps with a lot of events it will help save on game event processing. It's not that big of a deal on your map as it stands but basically a good idea to get used to.

2) Some folks like to play a map beyond the end. As you have it set up they can't once the lose event triggers. I think it's best to add all the win conditions into the lose condition.

3) All of the win conditions list a YTD Company Profit of more than $5.00 but that's not mentioned in the briefing or the status report.

Now on to try and play it. :salute:

Edit 1: OK! I've played about 5 years and so far it looks like the status page isn't showing credit for YTD Loads Hauled for any of the commodities, although checking the event debugging I believe the game is giving me credit. Not sure why right now.
Status.jpg
You used two different variables for the status event and it seems neither one works.
Status2.jpg
It does appear that the game is giving the credit though.
Status3.jpg
Hawk
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Hawk wrote: I think it's best to add all the win conditions into the lose condition.
What do you mean by that, Hawk? Doesn't appear to make sense but that could easily be me! **!!!** ;-)
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Just a note on the status events - the first one should also be "company loads", I presume?
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Another thought - I'm at work so can't download or look at the map right now - is the right territory selected for the status page event? I mean, are you saying loads hauled anywhere or are you saying loads hauled to a particular territory? I got the idea it would be to a particular territory, in which case has that territory been properly selected? I can't even remember how to do it. I'll have a look when I get some time at home.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Grandma Ruth wrote:
Hawk wrote: I think it's best to add all the win conditions into the lose condition.
What do you mean by that, Hawk? Doesn't appear to make sense but that could easily be me! **!!!** ;-)
The lose conditions are this:
Lose2.jpg
Lose2.jpg (24.4 KiB) Viewed 9591 times
Unless I've forgotten more about the game than I thought (which is quite possible ^**lylgh ), if one were to want to play on past a win you could only play until the lose event fires because there's nothing to stop it from firing, even if you get a win.
Grandma Ruth wrote:Just a note on the status events - the first one should also be "company loads", I presume?
That's what I thought but even the other three aren't showing on the status page.
Grandma Ruth wrote:Another thought - I'm at work so can't download or look at the map right now
I thought you worked at home now?
Grandma Ruth wrote:is the right territory selected for the status page event? I mean, are you saying loads hauled anywhere or are you saying loads hauled to a particular territory? I got the idea it would be to a particular territory, in which case has that territory been properly selected? I can't even remember how to do it. I'll have a look when I get some time at home.
I thought about that and tried but didn't see any way to select a specific territory in the variables.
Hawk
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Here's a thought; The haulage events are set to test yearly, at the end of the year. The status event is listed before the haulage events in the event list.
Could it be that the status event is checking before the haulage events and consequently not seeing the haulage events as having fired yet?

Does that make sense? Don't the events test in order of appearance in the list?
Hawk
brunom
Dispatcher

Hi.. a quick reply.

I don't get what you mean by letting the game run - couldn't i just delete the "Loose" event?

I worked on refining the status last night, works much better now (it also tells you how many consecutive years you managed for each cargo).
I already play tested this twice to the end now - once i nearly managed gold, the other i got sacked - fun to play both times.

More feedback, more feedback, i am enjoying making it and playing it :D

new revised beta can be posted here later, now i'm off to lunch with a friend.

cheers
brunom
Hawk
The Big Dawg

brunom wrote:I don't get what you mean by letting the game run - couldn't i just delete the "Loose" event?
Let me see if I can explain this.

First, deleting the lose event would mean you never lose :mrgreen: .
I think what you need to do is add the win conditions to the lose event so that it tests to see if they were achieved. If not, then you lose. If they were achieved then the lose event never triggers, allowing one to play on past the 31 years.
Granted not everyone plays past the win so I guess that's not really a big deal, except for those that do like to play past a win. I guess that's more of a judgment call than a game requirement.
Here's an example of what I mean, this along with the other two conditions:
Lose3.jpg
Lose3.jpg (55.11 KiB) Viewed 6852 times
I could be wrong on this and I hope someone with a bit more knowledge and experience chimes in here to straighten me out. {,0,}

Edit 1: Thinking about this a little more, the above screen-shot is not right. You would only want to include the Bronze conditions in the Lose event because you only lose if you don't achieve Bronze, but that should give the gist of it. ;-)
Hawk
brunom
Dispatcher

Final version for Beta, i hope.

Reviewed Loose condition, so it only happens if minimum win (Bronze) hasn't triggered. I thought the game would ask "continue?" after Loose.

Reordered events, so that Status comes atfer haulage checks.

Added another event for Expert level only, for fun.

Will now let it go for some days, wait for downloads and reviews. I want to see how hard/easy and boring/interesting you guys find it, since i am pretty newbie to RRT3.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

brunom wrote:I thought the game would ask "continue?" after Loose.
The game will ask you if you want to continue after a win but if I remember right it doesn't after a lose. I could be wrong though. It's been quite a while since I lost a game, at least that I recall. ^**lylgh
Hawk
brunom
Dispatcher

.. i bet you will re-live the loosing experience, if you try this scenario on expert.. ;-)
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Oh Crap! Now you've done it. You put a challenge in front of me. Like I have time for this. ^**lylgh
Let me soak my hand and see what I can do.
Hawk
Grandma Ruth
CEO

:lol:
hawk, I'm still working for a while till I get my redundancy on the day of the General Election. Due to the stupid British system of the Prime Minister choosing when to have the election, nobody knows when it will be but we think 6th May.
To make the status page variables apply to one territory only, you have to make a seperate event. Instead of the condition being "always true" you make a condition of "force test against territory" and then specify the territory. I think - I'm at work again and I still can't get to a copy of the game to see what's what. I'll try and do a screen shot when I get home.
RayofSunshine
CEO

Okay everyone, and as I have read all of the comments and suggestions on this scenario, I believe that my problem is that the scenario is programmed with a 1.05 patch agenda. That the problem occurring is that I am using the 1.06 patch???

The reason I ask is that the only mentioned line for hauling is that single line shown in one of the comments: """ Loads hauled is 0. No creditable goods were hauled. """ Or something thereof. **!!!**

However, I am in the 4th year, and no credit in the ledger for produce, coffee, or meat, all of which are a "demand" at the Port of Bria. I even built a Textile Mill, hauled in an adequate amount of "cotton", then the manufactured commodity of "clothing" to the Port of Bria. Nothing. !hairpull!

I like the idea of the thread showing the hauled commodities of Produce, coffee, & meat Makes for an easier check on the ledger and for accummulation. !*th_up*!

Very interesting concept and creation. Believe it will be of a substantial challenge.

A !$th_u$! to Brunom for his talent, and am looking forward to many more of his imaginative creations. !!clap!!
brunom
Dispatcher

This is how the status page looks now, latest beta version..

(notice the more-than-zero produce hauled and still 0 years counted, that's because this was a middle-of-the-year ledger, just for PrintScreen purpose, but it is working correctly, as far i can tell)

Version Beta6, which is available up in the thread has one minor bug. This is corrected now but it isn't worth publishing another version yet, will wait for more reviews.

I have found that initial industries can make it really easy for one or two of the resources you need to export, but to maintain all 4 in a 10 years steady flow is ****** tricky! - In a test, i had a full bauxite train arriving in December, but the bastard stopped for oil just at the station entrance and the year ended! That was so annoying *!*!*!

Thank you for testing

brunom
Attachments
status.jpg