American Rails

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.05 and earlier.
RayofSunshine
CEO

American Rails Unread post

This scenario is definitely a beginners scenario to play. The requirements are simply too easy. 10-14 cities for Bronze, 15-24 for Silver, and 25+ for Gold. In Expert I had already connected to 25+ in 18 years. However, no medal was awarded. Hence I continued to play as it is a 75 year scenario. After 76 years no medal was yet awarded.

SO with 50++ years between the 25 cnn cities, I just took a challenger to start merging with the 15 AIs. Although I did not usually have a 51% stock, I managed to merge with 12 of the AI Rwys, and made connections with 82 cities, and only connected with 3 of the 15 cities which the survived AIs Rwys still operated. In trying to keep up with the engine crashes, and the last 5 years in a Recession, plus paying off the bonds which I got stuck in the mergers, I did not attempt further aggression.

For a player to just """"play"""", this is in the "ball park". Enjoy. :salute:
BikerTim
Brakeman

Re: American_Rails Unread post

I agree that this is a very easy map to play. I had gold medal expert in 17 years. I changed the specs on this scenario so that gold can be awarded anytime before the end of the time period. I enjoy all the merger possibilities. Allowing as many AI's as possible adds to the challenge a little. The thing I like most is the rewards for connecting certain pairs of cities.

One more thing of note: Oklahoma City was misspelled. The map has it "Oaklahoma City".
Life is not fair, but it is still good.
RayofSunshine
CEO

Will have to give it another attempt. A good scenario, and glad to see that the medal problem has been corrected. :salute: {,0,}
RayofSunshine
CEO

Oh dam. The scenario crashes right from the start, after I have initiated the 1st engine and only completing 1/5th the distance to the directed destination. Didn't have that problem prior to the correction for the "medals". As I have "all" created engines downloaded, that should not be the problem. But something has been changed at the time the medals correction was made. **!!!**
Any suggestion will be appreciated. :salute: {,0,}
Sugus
Engineer

I just tried to make this map somewhat more challenging and modified it by means of the (RT3 Patch 1.05) editor. When trying the new version, it crashed after the first month, either if I did anything (buying stock) or not. Thereafter, I tried to find out which event could cause the problem ... a story, which ends in deleting ANY event, but the crash anyway happens after the first month.
Now I went back and simply started the original version (dated 01.12.2008 19:23). Same effect! !hairpull!
Also deleted any event in this original version: same story!

I've no further ideas, what makes this map(s) crashing (after the first month) ... :oops:
There's no business like RT business ...
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Did you install the required logos?
Click on image to view full size
Click on image to view full size
Hawk
Sugus
Engineer

Yes, I installed this logo pack - as usual - into UserExtraContent.

Now, I additionally installed the logo pack into PopTopExtraContent ... and it seems to work now. I'll verify that later!
Sugus
Engineer

Copying the Mr. Scott's PK4 files into the folders mentioned above did it!

Thereafter, I modified the map to make it more challenging by simply specifing another set of winning conditions, i.e.

BRONZE
Connect at least 60 cities
Company Book Value of $100 million

SILVER
Connect at least 80 cities
Company Book Value of $300 million
Build 14'000 miles of track

GOLD
Connect all 96 cities
Company Book Value of $500 million
Lifetime Industrial Profit of $200 million
Build 20'000 miles of track

SPECIAL CONDITIONS (as in original version)
Building industry buildings disabled
Starting multiple companies disabled

I played the test version on normal up to 1956 and stopped then with all cities connected, a CBV of $573 million, a LIP of $260 million and 20505 miles of track built. Finally, I called this upgraded version "American Rails V2". Here it is
American_Rails_V2.zip
(4.22 MiB) Downloaded 488 times
RayofSunshine
CEO

Okay. I checked my UserExtraContent, to find that I might have a few of those which are mentioned in the Scott Logos. However, I was under the impression that anything over 100 will make the system crash. Right now I have 56 in that folder, and with the 62 which are in the Scott Folder, that would put that inventory at 118.
So what is the story on all these PKs being in excess of 100? **!!!**
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Actually, there's only 60 logos in that zip. The other 2 files are text files. :mrgreen:

Have you compared the 56 with the 60 to see if you already have some of the 60 mixed in with the 56?
Hawk
Sugus
Engineer

I have 90 files in PopTopExtraContent and 142 files in UserExtraContent - and no crashes!
RayofSunshine
CEO

Well Fellas,
I have not had the time to check the allocations of those 2 folders, but will keep both comment and suggestions in mind. The reason for my previous thread, was that it had been mentioned that the folders would only hold 100.
thanks again. Appreciated. :salute: {,0,}
RayofSunshine
CEO

Wasn't able to get the Act 2 of the Soviet Electricfication completed, so took the time to update the Amer.Rails with Scott's Logos. Only found a dozen which I had already. Hence, the scenario is working fine, although the Boston Line is the pits. Get more hauls out of Concord than Boston. But at least the lack of logos has been corrected, and have not had any crash situation from the addition of all those new logos.
Thanks again. :salute: {,0,}
RayofSunshine
CEO

Boy, I am not a "great" Tycoon, but managed to get 28 cities connected in 18 of the 76 year requirement. Was going to suggest that anyone playing the scenario, should use the "Expert" level. Then, when I come to this thread, I see that I had missed Sugus V2 with more of a challenge. Makes consideably more sense in the challenges. Probably more enjoyment as well. Thanks Sugus for the new version. :salute: {,0,}
RayofSunshine
CEO

Well Sugus,
Again, thanks for the revised version, as I believe a member as a player will find it far more of a challenge than the original version.
However, I find that the scenario may need some changes. Here is the reasons:

In 58 years, 1957, I have completed:
87,375 loads hauled, although not a requirement
The requirement of 96 cities connected.
CBV = $611,252K as well as the LIP = $378,053K
But only 15,175 of the 20,000 of required track for Gold.

Now, the country is criss crossed with track like an "ant farm" although there is a hole in the Central USA:
STL-MKC-WIT-OKC-LIT and MEM. So the remainer of the time frame would be spent just adding track.

Once the indicator reported a shortage of coal, I started to replace engines with the diesel. The ones available:
EMD E7-GM EMD FP7-GP7 and GP Dbl. All of which were crashing between 5-7 years.

I enjoyed playing the scenario, but my system is "logging down" with the extensive memory required. I did have to acquire the AIs in 1929 with the stock market crash, and eventually accummulated all of them.

Just a few comments to see if you might consider making a few changes. As if you did not have anything else to do. LOL Thanks again for all your input. :salute: {,0,}
RayofSunshine
CEO

Sugus, from all the upgrading and translating of scenarios, you have spent a lot of time in the endeavor. Although my previous thread indicating the "easy" attainment of most challenges, but only in the Medium level, I believe that the comment on the challenge for the 20,000 lengths of track was some what excess. However, a thought came to me, and see that the 20,000 can be "reasonably" reached, by lay a lot of "double track". Reasonable, as they could be used at "maintenance" locations, in lengths at depots, on heavily used tracks between major cities, and in the mountainous areas of the West Coast. That being said, I still believe the time frame could be shortened. **!!!** But time at an essence for you, a !$th_u$! for your endeavor to at least make this a more worthwhile scenario in its challenges. !*th_up*! !$th_u$!
Sugus
Engineer

Thank you, Ray of Sunshine, for your testings and comments. At the moment it's really so that I have not much time to spend with RT3. But if I had, I'd like to "invest" it in completing my pending (new) scenario, instead of improving any old ones. :lol:

Nevertheless, maybe someone else has any ideas for a V3 ...
RayofSunshine
CEO

I can realize your position Sugus, and am looking forward to any of your creations.
As to update or upgrading this scenario, I believe that you have made a huge amount of changes for the better. And as I mentioned, for any future players, the 20,000 is attainable, PROVIDED THAT EVERY USE OF DOUBLE TRACK IS INITIATED. Take in consideration any maintenance, depots, hills, etc, which will also help in keeping the traffic moving more smoothly, and thereby help to increase revenue.
Many thanks for your input. We members appreciate any creations which help to make this program a success.
!$th_u$! !*th_up*! ::!**!
RayofSunshine
CEO

OH, I forgot to mention that in order to get the required 20,000 lengths of track, to attain that requirement that the "double track" would basically be added after a player is not able to get the requirement with regular play. As stated, my map looked like an "ant farm", with very little areas not being used. SO, hence the addition of the double track, mainly at strategic locations, just to finish with a Gold. Hope this suggestion helps, as if the double track is implemented during regualr play, it does not increase the track usage, different than using a single track.
:salute: {,0,}
zzc
Watchman

Re: American Rails Unread post

Neat map, but the city of wilmington was accidentally given a building density of 0%?