West Africa 1975-2010

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.05 and earlier.
brunom
Dispatcher

West Africa 1975-2010 Unread post

Hello everybody once again

Since the summer, I have been secretly working on a brand new West Africa map and scenario. TGA map was acquired simultaneously with the Ethiopia one, but the area was larger and the whole thing more complex, so I just kept it in slow cooking... Last couple of weeks I had some time on my hands and painted territories, economy and AI pre-made railways into it. Finally, events, rivers and paint... the usual.

Here is, West Africa on Beta:

--- ATTACHMENT REMOVED ---

This is a large map and it will require an extensive network. It also requires 2 additional locos, available in the zip (retrieved from this site in the first place).

Now, I would really love some serious reviews, specially with some specific concerns:
(1) was it too easy / hard? - what can be changed in that regard
(2) does it have too much history/ not enough? - for now, history news have no effect in game play - but I thought of opening up and closing borders depending on it, as well as affecting production rates or commodity prices
(3) did the ledger and win events work right? - i had a hard time coming up with a way to make them work
(4) what was your strategy ?- I tried to make this as open-ended as possible, so I wonder how people will look at it
(5) in some test games, absorbing AI debt during takeovers worked funny, if something of that sort happens to you, please report.

May thanks and have fun!
B
Last edited by brunom on Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
OilCan
Engineer

Re: West Africa - late XXth century to present times Unread post

I'll give it a try and let you know how it plays as it goes along. !*th_up*!
brunom
Dispatcher

:-D looking forward to it

B
OilCan
Engineer

Is this a 1.06V map?
brunom
Dispatcher

Nope, it's a 1.05 - with added locos - did you have a problem with the locos?

B
OilCan
Engineer

No problem with the add-on locos.

A quick update, I'm at 1992. Started at Abidjan, have now moved into Ghana and Togo.

Here's my responses to your questions (up to 1992):
(1) was it too easy / hard?
It was a different start with a 6 month tour, but that was OK. I was looking for clues to use to my advantage in each tour stop but didn't really pick up any. Maybe I missed them. I got into debt a little too fast (yes I should have known better!) and struggled for about 4-5 years, but I'd doing much better now. It was not an easy start but not a hard one either. I had to study the map, find the ports, and do some strategizing before I started - which is what a player should have to do.

(2) does it have too much history/ not enough? -
Truthfully, the newspapers are way too many. I had three appear in Oct of 91 alone. After reading the first few, I started exiting them almost as soon as they arrived. The text in some papers was truncated because it ran too long. I got lost on who the person was if the country was not mentioned in the headline. Consider cutting out at least half of the newspapers and making the text in less wordy. And please follow through with attaching some effects to some of the papers, as you mentioned you would. I'd read the headline and ask "So what has this got to do with me and my RR company?" If I knew something was about to come about as a result of the 'news', I would have read the paper more closely.

(3) did the ledger and win events work right? -
The ledger looked fine. It starts with saying 2 of the 14 have an international link and I had not laid a single track.
I connected Accra to all cities between it and Abidjan as well as to Lome and the ledger has yet to recognize the connection. And I thought the 4 city connection was for Bronze only, not Gold & Silver - at least that is what the briefing says.

(4) what was your strategy ?-
I only allowed $800K outside investment so I had a 33% control of the company at the start. There's no PNW goal, so next time I'd allow more outside investment and this would give me a quicker start (and less debt burden early on). But I did not want to get into a race right away with AI tycoons for control of my company, so I lowered the outside investment.
I followed my typical strategy: invest in industry first then build track. I invested in a lumber mill, then a textile mill, then I began laying track and connected 4 cities. I hooked into the AI line at Agboville. Took over Ghana RR, updated it, expanded it and then connected to it. Industry has been spawing at what I'd consider a 'normal' rate. The balance of challenge and enjoyment appears to be about right.

I went with diesel engines so I could run on AI track after taking them over. Have used the F3 and GP7 only due to their low cost.

(5) in some test games, absorbing AI debt during takeovers worked funny, if something of that sort happens to you, please report.
Ghana and Benin RRs went bankrupt by 1979. All others have steadily faded. Bought out Ghana RR, but a new RR immediately started in Liberia. Not sure how I'm going to be sole RR if new ones are alowed to sprout.
Only gripe is that the Benin RR liquidated on me before I could buy them out. Now they are useless to me and in the way.
Charles Crocker has been the only AI tycoon investing in other RRs.
I have steadily bought into the other RRs and am major stockholder in all of them.

Access to Guinea-Bissau(?) was curious. There is only one city in this country and its neighbors are too costly to buy access to. In other words, there is no point in paying any attention to this country. Is there some yet unrevealed reason for granting access to this tiny sliver of land?

I took a peek at the event list, particularly the start up conditions and what you did with the AIs. No issues except you allow a player to start as late as 1981 and in your presentation you say 1975 as the start of the scenario. Also, as a new AI company starts its ID number is not covered by your events.

At this point, with 28 years to go, I know I'll reach gold (except the ledger may not agree).
brunom
Dispatcher

Good to see you are enjoying the scenario,
some comments on your post, but I'm waiting for the final whistle for the proper comment on the comment
OilCan wrote: Truthfully, the newspapers are way too many. I had three appear in Oct of 91 alone. After reading the first few, I started exiting them almost as soon as they arrived.
I feared this, but it's ok. My original plan was to trigger closing/opening of borders with some of the events, others will result in lower productions of some resource - guess I can't avoid programming that.. All the events that won't trigger an effect will be rubbed out. That's for next version..
OilCan wrote: (3) did the ledger and win events work right? -
The ledger looked fine. It starts with saying 2 of the 14 have an international link and I had not laid a single track.
First line of ledger counts connections by any railway company - the Senegal Railroad links Dakkar and Bamako, so that's where the 2/14 comes from. One problem I can't find a way around is 1 station will never be counted, only when it connects to other, so you jump from 0 to 2.

OilCan wrote: (5) in some test games, absorbing AI debt during takeovers worked funny, if something of that sort happens to you, please report.
Ghana and Benin RRs went bankrupt by 1979. All others have steadily faded. Bought out Ghana RR, but a new RR immediately started in Liberia. Not sure how I'm going to be sole RR if new ones are alowed to sprout.
Only gripe is that the Benin RR liquidated on me before I could buy them out. Now they are useless to me and in the way.
Those AI players usually invest in each other, but I have found it varies a lot from seeding to seeding. If they start new companies, you need to "eat" them too, it rarely happens though.
A liquidated company can still be bought - will make no difference in the ledger, but you can acquire all its assets (in the mergers window), which comes handy to modernize their network.

Waiting for part 2, but no rush - take your time and enjoy :-)

B
OilCan
Engineer

Finished it with gold. Attached a ledger and mini game map so you can see the route I took.

The gold triggered without my rail network being 100% connected. From the attached image you can see that Bissau was not yet connected to Banjul. I imagine it is because of the way you have your city to city connection events set up.

At year 2000 all the 'cheap; diesels became unavailable and I was left with a choice of two expensive diesels - and a bunch of electric engines. You may want to think about why you have electric engines in the game. None of the AI use them so there is no need for a player to start with electric if taking over the AI is part of the game. And the electric track is extra expensive.

As the older trains started crashing, I soon was paying out over $2-3M a year in train replacement. I never had enough cash to do a widespread upgrade of older train engines, so I just replaced them as they crashed.

For most of the game, I worked in a narrow section of the coast, from Cote D'Iv?, Ghana, Togo, Benin. About 2000 I bought out Nigeria RR and updated it. The extra maintenance cost from absorbing the Nigeria RR really slowed me down for a while. Cargo prices seemed to sink (maybe just my impression) and many of the Nigerian RR trains crashed in short order.

Next was the Abidjan RR, about 2010. It had already declared bankruptcy, but would not liquidate - and I couldn't wait any longer. I kept waiting for the bankrupt Senegal RR to liquidate, but never did, so finally in 2016 I bought it and ate its large debt load. A connection to Banjul from Dakkar ended the game. (I rapidly bought access to guinea and Sierra Leone and connected them before buying out Senegal RR.)

This was a good game. It kept you busy. It had its stress moments but it was overall enjoyable. The closest cities were far enough apart to allow sheds and towers. The terrain was easy enough to run track on. I think that making overall track cost +20% and then bridge building costs +20% really made bridges +24%. Regardless, making bridges more expensive made me consider if a city was worth connecting to, which is good. I do now that increasing track price results in an increase in track maintenance cost.

A couple of questions/observations:
What was your intention with uranium mines in the upper NE corner and a warehouse at Naimey which accepted uranium?
By the time I got access to Nigeria, coal had faded away to one mine - not much of an incentive to make steel with.
Why did the port at Lagos demand 10 oil? I would have thought it would have supplied oil from the offshore platforms.
Bauxite showed up in Sierra Leone later in the game, but by the time I got access it was too late in the game to invest in the bauxite - aluminum - goods industry string. Had I seen bauxite at the start of the game in Sierra Leone, I might have bought access to Sierra Leone and started on that section of the coast (and if there had been more cities).
I really badly wanted to connect to Tombuktou, but there was no reason to go there. In fact, I never really expanded much from the coast - allowing that the AI RRs I absorbed had inland track. You may want to consider adding a reason for a player to push towards the top of the map.

Of the 14 cities I had to connect, 7 were on AI track. Absorbing the AI automatically added them in for me. You may want to change Bamako? and Ouagaouda? for two more interior cities off the AI track (how about Tombuktou?). And maybe switch Abuja for another NIgerian city not on the AI line.

Pausing to think about it, there really is only one good choice for the player on where to start - and that's where I went to. The interior cities are too far apart to make a go with a fledgling RR (which is fine). That leaves the coast, and the part the player has access to. You may want to consider adding a few more cities in Sierra Leone or Guinea -? to entice a player to buy access and start there. And/or maybe add 2-3 cities along the coast along the Liberia/Cote D'Iv? boundary as other possible spot for a player to start. Otherwise, Abidjan will always be the best starting point.

The main industries I used were textiles and lumber. Recycling centers worked well with a tool&die near by. I never got into the oil industry although I looked at it hard and probably should have.

And please do something about the newspapers, maybe an option for the player to skip the non-essential ones.

Looking forward to the final version!
Attachments
West Africa.jpg
brunom
Dispatcher

Hi Oilcan
I had a busy week at real life, so I can only give a proper look at this tonight. First of all, thanks for the comprehensive and nice review.
OilCan wrote:Finished it with gold. Attached a ledger and mini game map so you can see the route I took.
Congrats on that ;-)
Interestingly, some of your choices were different from what I normally do. But I find that I tend to connect many more cities than necessary in most games.
OilCan wrote: The gold triggered without my rail network being 100% connected. (...). I imagine it is because of the way you have your city to city connection events set up.
yep, you guess right - capitals need to be connected to any of the other 13 mandatory capitals, not necessarily to the closer ones - It was easier to sort of copy/paste conditions for each city than writing specific ones
OilCan wrote: At year 2000 all the 'cheap; diesels became unavailable and I was left with a choice of two expensive diesels - and a bunch of electric engines. You may want to think about why you have electric engines in the game.
Depends on strategy by the player - I played a few successful tries at this, using electric from the start, and then electrify other networks over time, as money and necessity arise.
OilCan wrote:This was a good game. It kept you busy. It had its stress moments but it was overall enjoyable.
I am really glad you enjoyed it - details such as too many newspapers aside, it is one map I am really proud of. I still like playing West Africa, and usually I get bored with my own maps after testing them prior to beta, and never get back to play it - that's the reason why I keep creating new ones as a matter of fact.
I have played it to a number of different strategies, ending up with a network map a bit like yours in some of them. But there are a lot of different possibilities, we could easily start a thread on game play once the final version is in the archives.
OilCan wrote:What was your intention with uranium mines in the upper NE corner and a warehouse at Naimey which accepted uranium?
By the time I got access to Nigeria, coal had faded away to one mine - not much of an incentive to make steel with.
Why did the port at Lagos demand 10 oil? I would have thought it would have supplied oil from the offshore platforms.
I tried to be as accurate as possible with economy. Uranium is an important export for Niger and the mines were within map limits, so I wanted to include them. Even if the player never hauls any uranium, it is part of the "landscape". The same for coal, and to some degree, iron - existing coal mines in West Africa are small or closed, so it isn't a major cargo to haul around. Nigeria exports Oil, as such, it makes sense that Oil is wanted in Port Harcourt, not that it is supplied into mainland.
OilCan wrote: I really badly wanted to connect to Tombuktou, but there was no reason to go there. In fact, I never really expanded much from the coast - allowing that the AI RRs I absorbed had inland track. You may want to consider adding a reason for a player to push towards the top of the map.
My original idea was to have the player creating a network to include Tomboktou. The folder where I keep maps and files for this scenario is still called "Road to Tomboktou". I couldn't come up with a smart way of doing that and keeping the scenario bound to reality. At least, not as much as I think it is now, and to a good result. So, after struggling with it, I waved away that option.
But then again, instead of 14/14 capitals we could make it 15/15 (capitals + tomboktou)
OilCan wrote:Of the 14 cities I had to connect, 7 were on AI track. Absorbing the AI automatically added them in for me. You may want to change Bamako? and Ouagaouda? for two more interior cities off the AI track (how about Tombuktou?). And maybe switch Abuja for another NIgerian city not on the AI line.
The whole idea is to connect all capitals. And, actually, only 4 are connected by AI at start: Dakkar, Bamako, Ougadouga and Accra. Yamossoukrou and Porto Novo are capitals but not included in Cote d'Ivoire's and Benin's railways at start. The same happens for Abuja, although, on most cases, Nigerian Railways will connect to it some years into the game.

Once again, thanks for your time to play it and review it.. It's now time for me to get back into the heart of the bull and work those annoying newspapers into significant events... hmm... game will be harder after I do it - borders opening and closing to the flavor of civil strife and military coups.. :lol:

cheers
B
brunom
Dispatcher

So here's a revised version. The main difference, aside one or two corrections, is the choice given about historical headlines, which poses a selection (see the picture)
choice_westafrica.gif
I haven't had the time to test this, as things keep busy here in real life. So I don't know exactly how it will work, but the idea is to have borders opening and closing at the flavor of military coups and revolutions - affecting, of course, access to different capitals. If anyone cares to test and share, I will be very thankful as always.

--- ATTACHMENT REMOVED ---

I have chosen to leave Timbuktu out of the picture any way - the player can connect to it as to any other city, but there is no win condition or bonus attached to it.

B
Last edited by brunom on Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
belbincolne
Engineer

Just tried to play this and was doing reasonably well - one Industry and railroading quite a lot of my initial country. I took over Benin and suddenly everything went to pot and my profitable rails ceased. I then discovered that three trains "couldnt reach next station" and presumably this had been the case for some time. The lines were all complete so there was no reason why not. I hadnt got a save game to go back to so couldn't retry and see what had caused it. Various Newspaper messages had also come up but I didnt think any related to my territories.

Any ideas?
brunom
Dispatcher

Hi there

Haven't had much time lately to test, review and re-release this map so I appreciate your go at it, belb.

It sounds like you have been the victim of a historical event ;-) - maybe one that you missed in the newspapers, or maybe one that is not appearing even if it should, meaning it's a matter of miscode by me.

Need some references to figure that one out. Which country became unavailable to your trains? When did that happen? What was your initial choice, concerning historical events?

Most of the events from 1975 to 2000 have "close borders to all" in some country as a consequence. That simulates the civil or political strife in a given country, which was so usual in West Africa during the period. Seems to me, it's the game acting as it should, but I really need more detail.

I also admit that this new version, comparing to the previous beta, needs thorough testing of all events, and I am still to plunge into that (unfortunately).

Hope you figured a route around that obstacle the meanwhile, if not just post the details I asked and I promise to look at it asap.

B
belbincolne
Engineer

Only just got back to this. The rail line was between Buchanan Sissandra & Abidjan (and other smaller towns) and no trains would run on this line though rest were o/k. Cant remember what year it was in. I'm only playing with Game connected Newspapers.

Have restarted and so far have had no problems - will report again in a few (game!) years time.
belbincolne
Engineer

Played to a couple of years from end. Achieved all goals except takeover of last country which is hopeless. Suppose if I restarted and bought in these shares earlier Gold could well be achievable. Anyway main thing is that this time I found no flaws at all in the scenario. Nice one too :-D :-D
brunom
Dispatcher

Update:

I finally got round to check all news-related events, mainly those that have open/close borders effects. They were all wrong. Or actually, they were right, but needed to have a check against companies to work right.
It is now fixed. After fixing it I played a game only to get sacked with 10 years to go and still 2 companies far from merged. To my defense I was trying a bold-never-before-attempted strategy, on expert. Didn't go quite right, but at least I saw all the borders opening and closing.

I am happy to say the way it works now it becomes (even) more fun to play, as well as making the first go at the scenario harder.

Bottom line, scenario was ready from the play point of view. I added trees and will now try to upload it using Hawk's novel thingy. All beta versions in this thread have been removed.

Happy railroading!
B

PS: there is another map in the production line, by the way, but time is scarce...
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I got it and will get it added to the archives this afternoon, most likely.

BTW! Don't save the link to the 'novel thingy' that you uploaded to. I got the file OK but I gave the wrong link in the post about File Submission. :oops:
I accidentally linked to my other site. *!*!*!

The link in that post is fixed now.
Hawk
Hawk
The Big Dawg

brunom wrote:It also requires 2 additional locos, available in the zip (retrieved from this site in the first place).
When I unzippped this, there were no locos in the zip.

It's available in the archives now.
Hawk
brunom
Dispatcher

Oops

My bad - was so happy that I had finally managed to deliver the scenario with all events reviewed and working properly that I forgot to pack it up in a neat package.

Hawk, please replace that zip in the archives with the one I am about to send you (using the "novel thingy" 8-) again) - this one includes locos, a readme file and a small West Africa political map for reference.

Cheers and thanks for being fast at spotting my mistake. Now, once you have the time, do try and play this scenario - I guarantee it is my best work ever and well worth.
(Not just sellers talk, honestly)

B
brunom
Dispatcher

.. btw ... have to admit to this.. I think I got the additional locos right, but

I'm not sure about which ones the scenario uses, from all the extra ones I've got installed in my RRT3 folder. And since I deleted the first beta zip I can't recall...

If anyone has the original beta still saved or will try this scenario in a fresh (meaning no extra-content) rrt3 installment, please report if you find any problems (which will surely be extra-locomotives-related)

Many thanks
B
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Got the zip and download page updated! :salute:
Hawk