Rule the Rockies

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.05 and earlier.
RayofSunshine
CEO

Rule the Rockies Unread post

I am starting this thread, due to my search not finding a thread. Not unusual for me.
Any way, it is in comments to this scenario, which gives me the Gold, and I only have either DEN to PUB or DEN to Boulder destinations connected, with only the """1st""" train just leaving DEN, in the """1st""" month. And that train has just left DEN. *!*!*!
Initially a notice comes up as this being a "test", of which I did not get an option, and that there is something critically in error in the programming. **!!!**
I don't like to use the Editor, but would some one get authorization to correct the programming. After all the time put into this scenario, it would be a waste to not have it working satisfactorily. It would be appreciated. :salute:
Sugus
Engineer

Re: Rule the Rockies Unread post

When I translated this map into German I also thought "This map seems to be very 'beta'!" and made the translated version somewhat playable. In those days I cound not reach the authors at all. But assuming their consent I'll have again a closer look to this map in two weeks and try to make it a "normal" one. Nevertheless, I don't mind if anybody else will do that before ... :-D
There's no business like RT business ...
RayofSunshine
CEO

Well thanks for the reply Sugus,
But being able to get the Gold, in less than 1 month of initial start, it isn't even a "beta". And thanks again for you time and efforts for all the translations which you have and are completing. It makes for more members to enjoy the creations and imagination of talented creators. :salute: !*th_up*!
Sugus
Engineer

As promised I just made a more challenging version of this map by replacing the set of events. Please try it in either English or German. (I played a raw version - i.e. without winning events - on normal to verify that Gold is possible.)

Files Deleted. Now Available in the Archives.
There's no business like RT business ...
RayofSunshine
CEO

A thank you Sugus for the revision. However, it will be a time before I get to do much playing of the RRT3 newly created scenarios. We are in the process of getting packed, and moved to CO this week end. Hence I don't really know when I will be getting time to take up the challenges in a number of those creations. At this point I have not idea of which provider is in our new region of residence. And my son is the person who makes the decision. So until the time of any definite result, "Be seeing you later". :salute: {,0,}
RayofSunshine
CEO

After all the work done by Sugus to get this scenario in operation, I find that although the locations of cities between DEN and SLC are fairly accurate, considering that I used the highway across from DEN thru Green River, and then to Highway 15. The terrain for me to enjoy is just too mountainous. The available engines are of an adequate level, but the terrain for routing, would be like riding a roller coaster. WELL, unless a player is endoude with a flood of cash for tunnels, and then just as large an amount to pay for their maintenance.
I have also played a scenario a number of years ago, which used the similar type of coloration. I found it hard to know where the "terrain feature" (key g) are given. But seeing that the goals are within reason, I believe that members liking such terrain, will find the challenges interesting. Good Luck in your efforts. And again, a !$th_u$! to Sugus for all his endeavors to update the problem I had found, to at least make the scenario playable
:salute: {,0,}
Sauerteig
Hobo

Defect in Rule the Rockies Unread post

I downloaded this map and the gold metal fires as soon as my company has a book value. Is there a way to edit this out...
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: Defect in Rule the Rockies Unread post

There's 5 triggers for the Gold event. All 5 have to do with city connections; the connections listed on the status page. There's nothing in the Gold event having to do with Company Book Value. As a matter of fact, I didn't see any events having to do with CBV, other than the status page.
I also noticed the Bronze event is missing one trigger, judging by what the Briefing says, and I didn't see a trigger in the Gold event for 20 city connections, as stated in the Briefing.
Hawk
Sauerteig
Hobo

Thanks for responding. I am not sure why the gold medal fires, but it does. How can this be remedied?
RulerofRails
CEO

Having never played this before, I took a look straight in the editor. The problems include wrong triggers, <= where it should be >=, and tests and effects using the wrong values or entities (players, companies, etc). As the Gold medal is setup it is firing at the end of the first month no matter what. I decided to do some minor fixes as it is easier than explaining how to fix it. I didn't make any attempt at removing numerous spelling errors. Many of the city names are misspelled as well as errors in the displayed text of the events. This is simply a version where the medals should hopefully work (I tested Gold in the few minutes I spent on it). I removed the "US steel" event as I am unsure what it's supposed to do. I am pretty sure the current results are wrong. Sugus did a German translation, maybe he knows more?
Rule the Rockies_trigger fixes.7z
(2.21 MiB) Downloaded 218 times
IMPORTANT: this is a temporary fix! Stay with your original company or else you may never reach a medal!
A proper fix needs an event redesign by someone who understands the creator's intentions for this scenario.
Last edited by RulerofRails on Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sauerteig
Hobo

Thanks for that. Glad I spotted something that needed to be addressed. I will check out the map soon. If anyone else tests it and has feedback, that would be great as well.
RulerofRails
CEO

IMO, the main thing that needs to be determined is how multiple companies (allowed in this scenario) affect your progress towards the goals. Currently the connection tests for the medals use Company Variables but are one-time-only changing the variable of your current company. So if you ever control a second company which you even accidentally use to make one of the connections, the medals wont work correctly as the changed company variables will be scattered between companies. If this was possible it would be a sure cheat system, but I think it needs a better solution.

The event I removed (US steel) has the effect of confiscating all the track of any company you start, but it wont fire until after an event choice. I am unfamiliar with the test for "after an event choice", so can't comment on its reliability or all the instances it will trigger. I don't think there is any "event choice" that will trigger it before the medal.

The question remains: What was the creator's intention for these things? See if you can work it out. :-)