Opar Peninsula - BETA (Again)

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.05 and earlier.
OilCan
Engineer

Opar Peninsula - BETA (Again) Unread post

Attached is a revised beta version of ‘Opar Peninsula’. This is a 1.05V game, started by Brunom in 2012. He posted the first Beta version (see Unfinished Maps). I revised the game based on the beta testers' comments to the first Beta – and I changed/added a few more items.

Player has the choice of achieving Company Book Value, Personal Net Worth, Haulage or all three. Limited track. 3 optional AI. 36 years. I'd really like to know which part of the earth he used for this map; I can't figure it out.

(I recolored the map and it came out blocky - which is frustrating. Windows 10 effect? Not sure. Tried gmp2bmp to pull off the map’s surface color to touch up with a digital editor but ended up with gray colored bmp tile each time.)

Any helpful comments, ideas or suggestions to improve the game would be greatly appreciated.

Note: BETA Version removed April 15, 2016
Last edited by OilCan on Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gumboots
CEO

Re: Opar Peninsula - BETA (Again) Unread post

The blocky colour business is a 64 bit effect. RT3 doesn't know how to handle 64 bit in the editor, which is a real nuisance.

Welcome to the wonderful world of how-do-I-make-this-map-look-good-when-working-on-a-64-bit-box. Which is one of the things that has stopped me making maps. AFAICT you basically have to apply a satellite shot in one hit, with no touching up afterwards.
OilCan
Engineer

So, if I used an old laptop with XP windows, I could then recolor in 32 bit? Or is it now forever set as 64 bit? **!!!**
Gumboots
CEO

Dunno. Never tried it. My 32 bit box died ages ago.
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

I made a tutorial once (I think it might be on the download site) about how to correct the 64-bit graphics problem. Don't know if it's relevant to this problem.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Wolverine@MSU wrote:I made a tutorial once (I think it might be on the download site) about how to correct the 64-bit graphics problem. Don't know if it's relevant to this problem.
The only tutorial I see on the site by you is your Microdem tut.
Hawk
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Am I not understanding this event correctly?

The theft of track event gives the option to pay $1M to stop further theft. I selected that option and I got hit with a $100,050,000 debit.
Theft.jpg
Shouldn't that effect be Company Cash $-1,050K instead of Company Cash $-100,050K?
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

Hey, what's a few zeroes?

Anyway, this tutorial is the one Wolverine is talking about: viewtopic.php?p=27944#p27944
OilCan
Engineer

Hawk wrote:Am I not understanding this event correctly?

The theft of track event gives the option to pay $1M to stop further theft. I selected that option and I got hit with a $100,050,000 debit.
Yeah, but you didn't have to worry about track thieves anymore, did you? ^**lylgh
Ok...I'll fix that.
OilCan
Engineer

Wolverine@MSU wrote:I made a tutorial once (I think it might be on the download site) about how to correct the 64-bit graphics problem. Don't know if it's relevant to this problem.
I followed Gumboots link and found your tutorial on page 7 of the thread.
In your 2011 tutorial you recommended the "free HxD editor available at: http://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/". Is this still a good choice?

I know nothing about hex editors but will blindly follow your instructions. Any new tidbits of wisdom to add to the instructions before I start stripping out code numbers left and right?
OilCan
Engineer

Wolverine, let me see if I have all the steps right. And, thanks for the tutorial. :salute:

(1) I find a 32-bit version .gmp of my RT3 map which I have never saved with the RT3 editor in a 64-bit windows operating system
(2) I use gmp2bmp to pull off a .bmp image from the 32-bit .gmp
(3) In GIMP, I can repaint, touch-up and/or edit the bmp until I'm happy with the way it looks
(4) Also in GIMP, I convert the bmp to a targa image file
(5) With the Hex editor, I open up the 64-bit .gmp (the blocky color pattern version)
(6) Then I find and delete the "first 18 bytes following the “FF D9""
(7) Next I open the targa image with the hex editor and copy all the targa info
(8) I paste the targa info into the 64-bit .gmp, into the spot where I deleted the information
(9) I save the 64-bit .gmp under a new name and it is ready for RT3
(10) I cannot open & save the newly named 64-bit .gmp with the RT3 editor or else I'm back to square one with a blocky color pattern.
Gumboots
CEO

My !#2bits#! is that you'd probably like this one more: http://www.hexedit.com/index.html

When I was checking out free editors it seemed to be more user-friendly than HxD, and Blackhawk found it was easier to use.

With hex files, you need all the user-friendly you can get. Hex files were designed by sadists to fry your eyes.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

OilCan wrote: Yeah, but you didn't have to worry about track thieves anymore, did you? ^**lylgh
I don't know. When I ended up $99,000,000 in the red I quit the game.

I fixed it on my end and started again, but I'm having a bit of difficulty with this map. I just can't seem to make enough money to get anywhere.
I started in Elenov by buying a textile mill there, then upgraded it and started building rail out of there. It was good for a couple of years then freight payout went to the dogs.
Hawk
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I believe I found another minor issue. The offer to connect Port Opp to Keveki should be Keveli.
The event is right. It's spelled wrong on the status page.
Hawk
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Well, I got Bronze on this one. I guess I need to try a little harder. :-(
Bronze.jpg
As you can see I selected all 3 medal conditions. I also chose 3 AI's.

I started by building a lumber mill in Limav and waited a couple years to get enough money from that to start building track. I later built a paper mill there as well as building a lumber mill and paper mill in Tikrit.
Later I took the offer to build 5 cattle ranches, bought them and built a meat packing plant in Padin.

I eventually bought out all three AI's but I really didn't build as much track as I needed to.

All the 'got'cha's' like the fever and such sure did hurt the economics (they do seem to pop up a little too often - IMHO :mrgreen: ), but at the end of the day I wasn't aggressive enough to win even Silver, much less Gold.

I may just have to try this one again, but first - some sleep. *!*!*!
Hawk
OilCan
Engineer

Hawk wrote:Well, I got Bronze on this one. I guess I need to try a little harder.
Your results are extremely helpful to me. I noticed that you chose the hardest options (all three goals and all 3 AI) plus you took over all the AI and on your first try you made it to bronze. That's very informative.

Setting the goals for this map was a difficult target because the game becomes easier if the player chooses a single goal with no AI. In the end, I set the GOLD requirements based on a single goal - so the requirements are fairly high for someone attempting all 3 goals.

Some of the got'cha's are set to trigger randomly and some are fixed to trigger about every 3 years.

Thanks for the feedback! !!clap!!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I forgot to mention; I played on medium difficulty level.

I normally don't much care for PNW and/or AI players, but figured I'd try this map with the hardest options, at least hardest for me. :mrgreen:

I was thinking it might be nice to be able to select one, two or all three goal options instead of one or all, but that might be a bit difficult to code. **!!!**
I would have probably chosen just CBV and haulage, but I thought I didn't do to bad on the PNW, for me anyway. ^**lylgh .

Also, once I got over 51% stock in the AI's, I would take over them and issue stock, then buy more stock (while paused of course). Not sure if that was a good idea or not.
Hawk
OilCan
Engineer

Hawk wrote:I was thinking it might be nice to be able to select one, two or all three goal options instead of one or all, but that might be a bit difficult to code
Yes, it would take a lengthy number of events to enable this. RT3 only allows 4 choices to be displayed per event of which only one choice can be selected. It would take something like a decision tree sequence of events to allow the player to select any one, any two or all three choices.
Sorry, not this time. :-D
Hawk wrote:Also, once I got over 51% stock in the AI's, I would take over them and issue stock, then buy more stock (while paused of course). Not sure if that was a good idea or not.
You have several options, depending on how healthy the AI is and the stage of the game.
Once I have 51%, I immediately take over and buy back all remaining stock to make myself an even larger shareholder. If needed, I take out AI bonds to do this.
As a purely personal preference, I like to manipulate an AI company to reach a market cap of $10M to $15M at which point I then merge with it at double the cost ($20-$30M).
Along the way, I try to keep the AI's dividends as high as feasibly practical. If I can stabilize the AI company between $10-15M, then I let it run for years with high dividends before taking it over.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

OilCan wrote:
Hawk wrote:I was thinking it might be nice to be able to select one, two or all three goal options instead of one or all, but that might be a bit difficult to code
Yes, it would take a lengthy number of events to enable this. RT3 only allows 4 choices to be displayed per event of which only one choice can be selected. It would take something like a decision tree sequence of events to allow the player to select any one, any two or all three choices.
Sorry, not this time. :-D
I figured as much.
OilCan wrote: Once I have 51%, I immediately take over and buy back all remaining stock to make myself an even larger shareholder. If needed, I take out AI bonds to do this.
I tried that but it kept telling me there was no publicly available stock to buy back. **!!!**
Hawk
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

There may be others out there, but this is the one I use and it looks like it's still available. I don't do much hex-editing so I don't need anything real fancy.