Mozambique 1936

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.05 and earlier.
OilCan
Engineer

Mozambique 1936 Unread post

Hey All,

It has been a while since I've been on this forum. :shock:

I have some games which I never sent to the map archive. It occurred to me that others might enjoy them as much as I do. A game about Mozambique (Portuguese East Africa in 1936) is one of them. It is attached below and is ready for the map archive.

This is a 1.05 game. It is a connect and haul game.

The game goals are:
GOLD: Haul 1200 loads of cattle to the port city of Lourenco Marques. Connect all 6 capitals on the map and 75 cities.
SILVER: Haul 900 cattle loads. Connect 5 capitals and 65 cities.
BRONZE: Haul 700 cattle loads. Connect 4 capitals and 50 cities.

There is no stock market, no AI. 30 years of play.
It is my typical game format of offers, setbacks and sub plots. Enjoy!

I have 4 or 5 more games to send in.

Edit: Gumboots 20/9/2020
This map is now available in the archives.
Railroad Tycoon 3 Maps of Africa - Mozambique 1936
Last edited by OilCan on Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gumboots
CEO

Re: Mozambique 1936 Unread post

Cool. I'll do some work on the site tonight my time, so will archive this then.
Gumboots
CEO

Actually, if you can post the lot I'll archive them in one go. Less shuffling that way. :)
RulerofRails
CEO

Hi Oilcan,

Good to see you round these parts again. And great to have another nice map to play! :salute:

Not sure what you kept up with, so apologies if this is old news for you.

RNG is broken (easy workaround).
Maybe 1.5-2 years ago I worked out that the RNG for seeding doesn't work if you just start up the game and load a map. But if you load one map/saved game then retreat to main menu and THEN start a new map the RNG will give you a properly random seed.

I spent quite some hours and did 100's of loads to try to confirm this. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4100 This was with 1.05 patch. Maybe in an earlier version things were different, that may explain the report you mentioned on page 6 of your handbook:

"One player has identified what may be a glitch in the game program. After starting a game map, immediately go back and start the same map again. You may get more cargo and a better mix of industry on the map. It seems that each time you restart the same map before saving the game you get more cargo on the map."

Do you remember the source? Doesn't matter if you don't but I'm pretty confident it wasn't with patch 1.05.

Not sure if this map is here for testing? Anyway, I ran it 3 times, siding with each family and have a little report. Nothing major.

Cargo price increases.
I'm not keen on the increases to cargo price. Those are bugged. The calculation of price at stations fails. When the game is trying to give a "soft" price increase because a train recently visted that station bound for an area of higher demand, the calculation goes wrong and goes almost as high as, if not higher than the maximum price on the map.

Please note that I didn't see outbreaks where price took off into the stratosphere (no $3,000 loads). Livestock was the main cargo affected, and this is because volume is coming into play.

It wasn't unplayable, but I found myself having to micro more than I wanted to tweak things to keep Livestock flowing, swap pickup sites etc.. (I only
built one station per city and none in the countryside). But I'm supposing you tested this a lot? Maybe I should just accept it as giving "character" to the map. In any case I'm sure it would breakout madly if played in 1.06.

Other notes.
The events to adjust Acceleration doesn't work. The display changes, but behavior stays the same. That bonus is worthless for the player.

At the end of year the Boese haulage figures are still shown after all quotas are reached.

The sell track message 3x a year is too repetitive in the late game. I see no reason to sell track then? I would suggest to disable it after 10 years have elapsed.

I see it suggested that you buy the mines/farms etc. that are seeded. Those are likely to drop off the map otherwise. Maybe the Aluminum Mill in Johannasberg can be manually placed so that it doesn't disappear after you haul a few loads there (yes I was playing without buying/building industries).

Spelling/Grammar:
Salisbury to Beit Bridge connection:
from Salisbury to Beit Bridge from via Bulawayo

Limpopo river flood:
races out *(of) its banks

Special European coaches:
allow you to raise passenger fare(s)* by 25%

Newspaper NATO:
"Portugual joins NATO"

Sell track event
sell some of these as sc(r)*ap metal

Zambezi river flood
Mightl*y river

Tanganyika region name in north.
Is Tanginyka an alternate/archaic spelling? I don't know majority of these places but did know this name.
Gumboots
CEO

Special European coaches:
allow you to raise passenger fare(s)* by 25%
I haven't got around to playing this yet, but how is this event implemented? If it's a 25% increase in pax prices, that's bugged too.

All express cargo prices are hard-coded into the .exe and cannot be adjusted by event. Yes, I did test this (very) thoroughly. You can adjust production of express cargoes by event, but you cannot adjust price.

Re locomotives: acceleration is not the only event that is bugged. Fuel economy is too. Any event that is supposed to adjust fuel prices simply will not work.
Tanganyika region name in north.
Is Tanginyka an alternate/archaic spelling? I don't know majority of these places but did know this name.
Tanganyika is the old name for Tanzania, before it joined with Zanzibar. As far as I know there was never an alternative spelling (ie: not Tanginyka).
OilCan
Engineer

OK, I'll make the changes and submit a revised map.
Is accel and fuel econ the only ones bugged? What about speed or reliability?
Gumboots
CEO

Speed and reliability work as intended. So does pulling power.

If you want "increased passenger fares" the best way to approximate that is probably via hotel/restaurant/tavern revenue and pax production. Combining those can bring in a lot more revenue for not much outlay.
OilCan
Engineer

I made the edits and changes to the game events and posted the updated version in my first post. Thanks for the comments.

RoR: As much as I admire you style of play, I assumed that the player would 'gather' the cattle into the cache of large stations placed in the countryside and then ship the cattle to LM. An alternate might be to start a meat processing plant in a focal city to draw the cattle to a city. Yes, there is a fair amount of micro management to keep the cattle trains running full.

Also, I know you are not a great fan of games which monkey around with the price gradients, but I had to in this game. I did not want the player building an industry empire right away but to stay focused at hauling cattle to keep their company alive. I let the haulage rate restore the price gradients as if the railroad was the savior of the country.

I shake my head in amazement at how you can win at a game without building or buying industry. It is a skill well beyond my abilities.

Gumboots: Tanganyika is the way the British spelled the name of their African colony. It stayed that same name all the way to about 1964 when it became Tanzania.

I dropped the passenger fare increase but kept the production of 15%.

Again, thanks for all the comments. I have another game ready to send in.
Gumboots
CEO

I assumed that the player would 'gather' the cattle into the cache of large stations placed in the countryside and then ship the cattle to LM.
As long as people are aware that's the intent they should be good to go.

Gumboots: Tanganyika is the way the British spelled the name of their African colony. It stayed that same name all the way to about 1964 when it became Tanzania.
Yes, I know that. ;) The name change happened when Tanganyika and Zanzibar merged into one country.
RulerofRails
CEO

Yeah, probably people don't watch the gradients as closely as I do. I can manage it for sure. Probably many players wont even notice. It's interesting because while the outbreaks do add some fake haulage to the count, Livestock is shipped from the port to the nearby towns and back again, the other side-effect is that these outbreaks actually help to keep demand at the port higher. When the train picks up at the port for these "bogus" hauls the effect at the station is upward pressure on price there. I like to aim for "honest" hauls, but in situations like this things are becoming a bit grey. I never put more than two trains on one of those routes.

I do have a screenshot that shows a little "strange" action.
Mozam price islands_B.jpg
The red circles are "fresh" outbreaks. They will soon spread outwards from the station cells and look similar to the blue box before slowly dissipating. Later the cycle will repeat. This game does odd things. !hairpull!
Gumboots
CEO

Is this one good to go for the archives?
Gumboots
CEO

This map is now available in the archives. (0!!0)

Railroad Tycoon 3 Maps of Africa - Mozambique 1936
TheBonobo4
Brakeman

I beat this one with Gold on Medium yesterday as a first playthrough. A good fun scenario, quite challenging as I only got gold with around 5 years to spare. I connected 75 cities exactly, I bought track either in 200 miles or not at all, and I went with the cheaper track family who rewarded me every 500 miles of track that I layed. I didn't own much industry, I know had a meat plant in LM, 1 farm somewhere in Mozambique and a few hotels and taverns etc. But there were so many passengers that my hotels were making around 100k a year in profit or more. I also spent money to add in the maximum number of bauxite and iron mines, but I didn't buy any, and never actually connected to the iron mines. I shipped some bauxite but by game end only 1 mine remained.

With regards to the helping the African people. I picked some options to help them and some that did not. I added in the paths to reduce deaths and didn't charge a toll, but I also used European only carriages, set up the academy, and accepted forced labour. So I'm not sure what advantages there are game wise of helping the Africans, nothing came up that said anything like "you've been kind/horrible to the Africans, this is the consequence". Especially since the company makes more money if you don't help them.
Gumboots
CEO

I don't know the intent, but it's possible those options were added primarily to provide a greater challenge (ie: due to less cash for other things).