Caucasus

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.05 and earlier.
canis39
Brakeman

Caucasus Unread post

Downloaded the new Caucasus map, but I can't play it - every time I get to the screen where I hit "Start", my game immediately crashes to the desktop.

I've tried changing the year from 1991 to 1992, and modifying the number of AI players, but same crash every time.

(WinXP with SP2, 1.06 patch installed).
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

Interesting! I don't have that problem and I run XP SP2 with the 1.06 patch as well.

Edit 1: I noticed this map does take longer than most to load. I wonder if the size of it and other characteristics might be what is causing you problems.
What are your system specs?

I also noticed the Status Ledger is blank. That's probably because there is no Condition set to 'Always True' for it.
Hawk
Girdi
Cat

Unread post

Forgive me, this was my first map I made, I didnt see any maps containing Chechnya or the Caucasus nations so I was bold to make my own. Okei, so, I submitted an update version to Hawk to upload. I have reduced the building density by A LOT and now the map runs nice and smoothly on my computer. It was definitley the building density that was causing your RRT3 to crash. I got a little carried away.

I also fixed the territories so you have a choice on which territory you wish to start in upon creating a company (Russia-Chechnya, Kazakhstan-Ukraine, or Azerbaijan-Georgia-Armenia).

The only problem I have with the map now is that the AI characters are afraid to start a company and play with me, and the oil distribution I would like to have is not that heavy in Atyrau, Grozny, Baku, and so on. I have made many Oil Refineries there and what not, but trains still are stubborn not to haul a train full of oil. Maybe it can be fixed.

Let me know what ye think. Cheers!
-Jóhann
belbincolne
Engineer

Unread post

I've had the same problem - twice at the start of year four it crashes. No doubt Hawk will tell us when the revised version is posted and I'll try again. It does take a long time to load and I'm also having same problem on Crystal Cotton (end of year 1). The only other thing that is different is that before downloading these I installed the new Granary building (although I've never used it as I haven't found a suitable scenario yet). As I can't think of any other reason why it should crash on mine and not on others I wonder if that could be anything to do with it? :(
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

The updated version is now available but I think it still needs a little more work.
I've emailed Johann and made a few suggestions and pointed out a couple of things that need to be corrected.
He said he would work on it today so I would wait.

As for the crashing; I don't have the Granary installed so that may have something to do with it.
I can run both maps without any problem with just the basic 1.06 patch installed. No other extras.
Hawk
Girdi
Cat

Unread post

Yes, Hawk is right. I have to take some final exams today and tomorrow, but I will try my best to send Version 1.03 (I guess since its the third update? haha) over to Hawk tonight Eastern time (early morning for my time).

The things I will adjust are:
-Even less building density
-Delete ''some'' cities (I like to have towns and villages becuase I know when I found my hometown on the Iceland map, I was so happy cause my town isnt even found on most maps, so imagine someone from say Gitacy, Azerbaijan downloading this map and seeing his town there!)
-Fix the status leadger
-Fix the simulated Chechen wars so it has more ''earthquakes'' in the Chechnya territory
-Adjust the oil demand in the cities that are needed to connect so the Gold medal is at least possible to acheive and haul oil

Any other suggestions, please leave them here. As for the crashing issue, even on the first version it didnt crash on mine (XP SP2) so I dont think its the map, but I will examine it closely more to try to limit more buildings and such.

How about any positives? Do you all at least like that there is finally a map of this region? :)
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

Girdi wrote:How about any positives? Do you all at least like that there is finally a map of this region? :)
Yea, I think it's great that you've done a map of this region. I believe it's a first. :D

It's probably a little difficult for the other two that have posted here to give any positive comments since the map keeps crashing on them.
Hopefully we'll get that figured out soon. :wink:
Hawk
Gwizz
CEO

Unread post

I was able to run normal RT3 maps on my XP SP2. Now it crashes at start up. I have added a lot of small programs since last having RT3 installed.

The thing that may be causing my problem is directX 9.0. I resently installed it over directX 8.1. I also resently installed the 106 patch after re-installing the CtoC and 105 patch.

I was gone today and have company coming tonight. So, I will not be able to play the 106 version, now installed on my old computer, until late or tomorrow.

DirectX was a problem during beta testing. If I remember correctly it needed DX 8.1 to work correctly on some machines.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

I have DX 9.0c on my system, and the 1.06 patch, and I don't have a problem with RT3 crashing.

Have you recently downloaded the 1.06 patch or are you still using one of the beta versions?
Hawk
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Unread post

I got the CTD as well. It's a very big and crowded map, a lot of information in there! I do hope it can be fixed as I'm quite pleased with myself for finding most of the cities that need to be connected. We'll have to have another goal - how much oil can you haul befoe it CTD's? :lol:

Hope you did well in your finals, Johann. Now you can relax and fix this for us!
canis39
Brakeman

Unread post

Even though I haven't been able to play it, I definitely appreciate the effort! I'm a big fan of new maps, and this is a region I have never seen before in RT3, so I'm looking forward to the updated version.

My specs are: WinXP, Pentium Core2Duo 2.0 GHZ, 2 GB RAM, nVidia 8500 GT card, running DirectX 9.0c. I've never experienced a crash on any other map.
Gwizz
CEO

Unread post

Have you recently downloaded the 1.06 patch or are you still using one of the beta versions?
It is a new download. I'll have to try different screen sizes.

But for now I will try playing a map on my old machine.
My Chistmas visitors just left.
Girdi
Cat

Unread post

I sent the updated fix to Hawk. Things that have been updated are:

-Territory is now fixed for choice
-Building density is greatly reduced
-Status ledger works
-New goals have been added (lesser loads of diesel and oil to a reasonable amount)
-Oil and Diesel demands changed
-Earthquakes set to simulate Chechen wars in Chechnya territory only

So it should all be set up now. As far as finding cities, I am a big geography buff, especially in the Caucasus region (since im planning on moving to Shali within the next year) so I assume that people would know that Yerevan is in Armenia, Baku is in Azerbaijan, Grozny is in Chechnya, Atyrau is in Kazakhstan, Tblisi is in Georgia, and Kursk is in Russia just north of Ukraine. Sorry for the crowdness.

Let me know if there are any more difficulties. I am sure Hawk will post a comment when the newer version is posted.
-Jóhann
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

The updated version is now available. :D
Hawk
Girdi
Cat

Unread post

Hawk wrote:The updated version is now available. :D
Awesome!
belbincolne
Engineer

Unread post

Well I'm now 5 years in and its still playing so perhaps it's now o/k. Mind you I'm not doing very well and reckon I'll soon have to start afresh :( :( :(
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

Well at least you got that one running. ::!**!
Hawk
canis39
Brakeman

Unread post

I will grab the updated version and try it out, hopefully tonight or tomorrow night. Thanks!
belbincolne
Engineer

Unread post

Well still going strong 10 years in and I'm now looking to start trying to meet the objectives one of which is to connect to Tblisi. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a Tblisi on the map :shock: :shock: :shock: Neither I nor the F button can produce it.

The AIs haven't formed any railroads either - just keep buying my shares.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

It's just spelled wrong in the briefing. It's spelled right in the Editor. :wink:

Hawk