Mung Hjung - Communist Railroading

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.06.
Markman
Cat

Mung Hjung - Communist Railroading Unread post

I'm uploading a new scenario for the archive: Mung Hjung. This is an Oriental country that had a long, proud, independent tradition... until the Communists got their claws in and took over! Most of the cities wear names that might have come from Thailand, or Vietnam, or Myanmar, or China. Then clearly, the Communists decided to populate the vast uplands and relocated people into a series of communes.

But as a "modern" country, Mung Hjung needs to trade with the outside world, and the distances are so vast that they need (you guessed it) a rail network. Not having any comrades who know how to move commodities such as rice beer, but only drink it, they searched and found YOU for the job of creating this infrastructure. Their enticement: you get to profit like a capitalist if you do a good job... or end in an unmarked hole in the roadbed if you do not.

The peasants and citydwellers of the adjoining country look with suspicion at what the Communists are up to. It's going to take a lot of "facilitation payments" to overcome their reluctance to let you connect to their towns. So you'd better get busy building a stash. The Commies have announced their "Great Leap Ahead" and the timer is ticking!

Re: Mung Hjung - Communist Railroading Unread post

FYI, There is an F9 I think, a passenger car and a caboose sitting on rails dressed in the colors of the Spokane, Portland and Seattle Rw that is or was used by a kids dentist about 5 miles East of Spokane. This is one of about 11 RRs that served Spokane over the years.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Got it added to the archive. !*th_up*!
Hawk
Markman
Cat

Gwizz wrote:FYI, There is an F9 I think, a passenger car and a caboose sitting on rails dressed in the colors of the Spokane, Portland and Seattle Rw that is or was used by a kids dentist about 5 miles East of Spokane. This is one of about 11 RRs that served Spokane over the years.
Thanks, Gwizz,
I'm all the way on the other side of the country, so I'll pass on taking a look at the prototypes. I selected the S,P,&S logo because I'm working on a Washington state scenario at present, and the S,P, & S figures in it.

I have a real fondness for the La Palouse region south of Spokane. The scenario started with a focus on it. But that part of the country is so thinly settled that I had to include the coast, and now "America"s Tuscany" is really rather incidental.

I've downloaded a DEM of the real Tuscany, and that's on deck next!

:arrow: BTW - Anyone who tries Mung Hjung and wants to comment, I'll be appreciative!

Besides too many RRs there was some real competition in track building in that area of the State, mostly to gather wheat and fruit.
Markman
Cat

Hawk,
I'd appreciate it if you would replace the archived Mung Hjung with the one attached. I found a flaw in the earthquake event that prevented it from running. After some testing, I made a version that worked. I also padded out the general description some.
Thanks! {,0,}
The Big Dawg

Got it updated for ya'. :salute:
Hawk
UncleJR
Hobo

After several false starts, I managed Gold on this.

Added in 2 NPC's and bought their stock to build up the old PV.

Hooked the NPC's railroads together to get some of that income going as well, even as they expanded on.

Thank goodness for the lowered access opportunity as I was in a financial position for that, got the rice delivered in plenty of time as well.

Overall, a rather fun, quick map.

Thanks

Jerry
belbincolne
Engineer

Mung Hjung Unread post

Played this on Normal and got Gold after 23 of the 50 years allotted so fairly easy. Started industry but would probably have been equally good railroading. Actual figures:
Company Profit (Target 25k) 69k
PNW (Target 10m) 24m
CBV (Never under 10m) 42m
Rice (50 loads) 51 (after about 3 years of obtaining entry & using custom consist trains)

Couldn't find any flaws in the scenario - will give it another try on Expert.
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Even on Expert it's a pretty easy scenario. I would suggest increasing all the goals by a factor of 10 to make it a little harder. 50 years is a pretty long time, so you should be able to make all the goals in that time. The map was real nice, but so far, there have been no captivating events (newspapers, comments, facts etc.). It makes gameplay a bit uninteresting. I noticed a message on the second page of the Status page in the Ledger, something about an earthquake, but it hasn't happened yet.
UncleJR
Hobo

I had the earthquake, but no idea what it was supposed to affect. None of my track got destroyed or anything. Not certain what the point of that was.
belbincolne
Engineer

Well on Expert I only railroaded cos there was no decent place to build any industry anyway. I achieved all the targets before buying in and when the cheaper entry was offered I'd already carried 46 loads so won the next year i.e. after 21 years with
Profit 63m
loads 63
PNW 21m
CBV 38m
so, yes, it is a very easy scenario and I'd echo Wolves comments - although I'd only increase the targets say fourfold and cut the length of the scenario to say 30 years. But that just reflects how I like playing :-)
Markman
Cat

Thanks for the input, guys!

That's the first map I've done, and I wrestled a long time with the event editor. My first idea was to get rice to the ports and let ships transport it to starving wheat- and corn-growing countries (!!) but I'm not sure that there's a way to get the accounting to accept that. The buy-in to get rights next door was Plan B, and I thought I made it too expensive - hence the one-time discount (for which you may be unprepared if you don't know it's coming).

I used the pre-built earthquake event, which I ASSUMED generated consequences like random line breaks, crumbling industries, etc.. I guess not.

As for other "news" - I've always rather dismissed banners for news that had no bearing on my train line as just a distraction. I think I have the writing chops to do something entertaining, but I was much more tuned into trying to make my medal goals work (which took about 8 iterations).
Engineer

Played this for the first time this week. The game does indeed have very easy game goals, nevertheless I did enjoy it, mostly because of the irregular seeding of industry on the map. It made for an unexpected challenge to corral and protect profitable industry. I made it a personal goal to connect all the cities and take over the AI. After taking over the first AI, I was surprised to see it spring back with a new start, but that added more challenge to the game.

The gold event is set to trigger at the end of the year.

A good game to pass the time if one likes to build track and watch trains without worrying too much about the game goals.
RayofSunshine
CEO

Thanks OilCan,
For bringing this scenario to a thread. I usually will download a scenario to a "hold" folder, and then play it at a later date, if, I am already playing a different scenario. The title sounds familiar, but seeing that I don't have a post in this tread, I don't really know if I have ever played it. Hence I will have to make a note of it, download it, and then make an attempt of play. My problem is to that of not finding the scenario in either "Other Lands, Europe, or Asia"??? :salute: {,0,}
OilCan
Engineer

Look in the Asia map section, 16th map from the top on page 1. The map's name is Mung Hjung.
MH.JPG
MH.JPG (47.05 KiB) Viewed 6137 times
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I've renamed this thread accordingly.
Hawk
RayofSunshine
CEO

Thanks Hawk,
I thought I had covered that Mung Hjung being the title, **!!!** but at the same time I stand corrected. *!*!*! As usual. :salute: {,0,}