Alaska Adventure

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.06.
ab89
Cat

Alaska Adventure Unread post

I played the map within some hours today. The terrain of that map is challenging, and you need to build some tunnels, but all in all playing that map is fun. I do not know if I just had a extraordinary good start or if victory conditions are quite easy, but I finished already after 15 years (started in 2010). I would add a book value or industry profit condition for Gold, so that you have to build more than a North-South line.
nedfumpkin
CEO

Re: Alaska Adventure Unread post

I agree...a really good map with challenging terrain. Fun for building. I also think that it may be better with fewer types of cargo, and fewer lumber mills and logging camps, or just some readjustment on the overall industry set-up.

To start, I ran a line from Point Hope down to Ka-BBQ (or whatever it is called) and the trains going up are hauling $600k per trip until saturated. I was able to expand very quickly so that within a few years, I could connect half the map. Another thing might be to make it so that all track has to be connected.

Still, a fun map to play.
Gandar
Brakeman

Good map but so many resources, that I too hit gold in 15 years. A map so big and and detailed deserves some hours of play, not just a quicky game. I look forward to playing it when you have tweaked it a little.
I got up and the world was still here, isn't that wonderful ?
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I actually took some time and played this one myself. Got Gold at the start of the 16th year.
I added two AI players and I started in Anchorage and built to three of the communities in that valley (surprisingly a connection to Palmer turned out to be very profitable). One of the AI built from Fairbanks to Denali (which kind of surprised me given the terrain, but it was pretty profitable) so I just kept buying his stock, connected my rail to his and eventually merged with him.
After stashing away a hefty bank roll I finally built a double-track tunnel to Barrow and ran the track through Umiat. After a year or so all the oil started drifting to Umiat so I just ran about 6 oil dedicated trains from there.
Didn't take long after that.

I must confess though, I did cheat a little. After merging with the AI I did the 'Shift+E' thing and did a little terrain plateauing around Denali. Not much, just enough to smooth things out a little but still keep it somewhat realistic. :mrgreen:

I guess one thing I would have to comment on is the rivers. A little more work on them would have been nice. Maybe a little more terrain painting too. ;-)
I do agree with the others; a little less industry might make the map more challenging. :salute:
Hawk
BikerTim
Brakeman

:salute: I am happy to get this feedback. Obviously, some of you are better players than I. But now I know how to improve this scenario. I have created one more scenario that I have played, but it is even easier to beat than this one. So I'll finish toughening that one up then send it.
Life is not fair, but it is still good.
WPandP
Engineer

BikerTim-

Keep in mind that you can set up some events to only take effect at certain difficulty settings, so you might add some "tougher" obstacles to win conditions that only appear at Hard or Expert. That way, you still have an easier scenario as you originally intended for the Normal or Easy settings.
=Winchester, Paston & Portsmouth=
====== We Provide Pride! ======
belbincolne
Engineer

Liked the map but found it remarkably easy - got Gold in 9 years on Normal and after one false start trying to make it on Expert in 9 years as well got it in 12 years. All railroading (thought I might have to build an Oil refinery but that wasn't neccessary). Fun map - maybe I'll add some AIs and try again.
ostlandr
Brakeman

Finally finished this scenario. Tricky to pick a good start location, but doable. Started with one Red Devil hauling mixed cargo and worked my way up bit by bit. Lost track of time and just missed gold- had to break down and use that DD080X or whatever that silly 200 mph diesel is (hate to use it, as it always feels like cheating.)

Anyway, cool scenario, and fun map. Had a devil of a time laying tracks through Denali National Park! Love the challenge, though.
Watch this space for Equus Ferrius Corporation's website! Soon to build biomass fueled steam locomotives, and lease a short line. We're going for it!
BikerTim
Brakeman

Sorry I have been slow about posting a more challenging version to this scenario. I have been working on one. But I have been having difficulty with my computer lately, so it has made the going tough. I would like to keep hearing more from all of you.
BikerTim
Brakeman

I just sent Hawk my updated version of this scenario. One problem, though. I cannot get the Anchorage-to-Chicken reward to work properly. It starts fine at its inception, but never acknowledges success or failure at the end, nor does it ever provide the reward for success. Any advice would be helpful.

**!!!**
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Here it is if anyone wants to look at it and see if you can find the problem.
Attachments
Alaska Adventure.zip
(1.11 MiB) Downloaded 330 times
Hawk
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I don't know why I didn't update this map in the archives, but it's updated now.

http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/map_arch/r ... merica.htm

(**!!sry Tim!
Hawk
edbangor
Dispatcher

Had a go at this one tonight, and found it nicely challanging.
After a bit of a slow start - during which time I realised I should have gone electric to begin with, managed to build out of Fairfax as far as I could in either direction before leaving that to look after itself while I worked in and around Ankerage (sorry about the spelling but it's late). Once those two lines were up and running and making a fair bit of money - as was the lumber mill I built outside of Ankerage - I let the cash pile up before tunnelling through to connect the two lines up.
Once that was done the money was literally coming in faster than I could spend it, so I started out towards the oil fields.
Then, once the oil was being moved aorund, I had nothing to do but connect up cities, and that's where it all went wrong, as I lost track of time and ran out of time, with only 36 cities connected, but all other conidtions met. :oops:

Anyway, a fun map with a challanging scenario bikertim. !!clap!!
I need a little less pressure, and a little more time
"A Little More Homework" by Jason Robert Brown from 13: the Musical
BikerTim
Brakeman

Thank you for the compliment. Has anybody figured out how to fix that bug yet?

:?:
BikerTim
Brakeman

I noticed that this scenario has had a number of downloads. Glad to see it! Has anybody figured out how to get that Anchorage-to-Chicken reward to work yet?
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Maybe try changing the effect test to 'to the company/player for which the condition is TRUE'.

I don't have the time to test that right now but that may work.
Hawk