Noble Experiment

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.06.
Gandar
Brakeman

Noble Experiment Unread post

Ruth this was a lot of fun and I enjoyed playing it. Of course I had completely forgotten all that I had read about this scenario in your "request for beta testers" thread, so of course I got booted out by Big Jim. I started the second time with a little Tycooning and I played the game with my third company, I hit money troubles company wise and had a tough time making the deliveries to big Jim I was over or under never quite on the mark, thankfully I was only fined money and not my life for not meeting his targets. I got through that and then that new deal action boy I was miles away no money no credit and of course I failed my targets and got hit with a fine again. The only thing I did right was to buy out another railroad and run that as a profit machine, I hopped back and forth between the companies expanding the AI company all the time and then letting the AI run it. It was so successful that I was able to take over my original company and then sell of my AI company shares and hit 50 Mill with a year to spare !!clap!! !!clap!!
Now I think I will see if I can do it without Tycooning. !*th_up*!
I got up and the world was still here, isn't that wonderful ?
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Re: Noble Experiment Unread post

Thank you, I'm glad you liked it. And thanks to the beta testers I changed it quite a lot from the original! :salute:
edbangor
Dispatcher

HI currently working my way through this one whenever I need a break from play testing my new map thought I'd post how much I'm finding it a challange (in a good way)

As normal I didn't read anything before I started, so ended up getting booted out once I decided Big Jim was becoming a pain, so had to go back and started again. This time made the connection to supply the warehouse in good time, but the only brewery was seriously underperforming so have to fund several lost leader locos to both supply it and get the boozer to where it was meant to be. This crashed the sotck market a bit (my profits weren't great), but did mean my player could clean up on some nice cheep shares which will come in handy when it's buy out time. :-D
Made the major's jaunt connection with a few somewhat hasty single track and no stations - later filled in for max profit.
Only problem I had was not knowing where the valley was, I had to deliver the constructions materials to so will admit to having a peek in the editor to see where that territory was but that's all I looked at (honest). Perhaps it would be idea to include the location in the ledger!
Anyway, that's where I've got to so far...
I need a little less pressure, and a little more time
"A Little More Homework" by Jason Robert Brown from 13: the Musical
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Glad you're enjoying it! I can't remember why I thought it was a good idea not to tell you where the valley was, but it seemed to make sense at the time.
edbangor
Dispatcher

Grandma Ruth wrote:Glad you're enjoying it! I can't remember why I thought it was a good idea not to tell you where the valley was, but it seemed to make sense at the time.
Oh so it wasn't just to confuse those who picked history over geography, at school, then?
Mind you, I've forgotten most of the history I learned, so doubt that would have made all that difference. **!!!**
edbangor
Dispatcher

Okay I've finished the map now, just about scrapping a Silver medal, with some...erm... 'creative' stock market work (don't ask although it's good job that sort of stuff doesn't go on in real life).
Got a bit bogged down trying to deliver the goods into the valley as the only decent source of cemarics was already inside the valley so had to find another one -which was on the AI's line, so had to buy them out, then buy and upgade that. Problem was, by the time I'd done that the time was up and I was onto passengers into Detriot. Still at least that's something I could do!!

Anyway, Ruth congrats on a great map - if a little !hairpull! at times.
RayofSunshine
CEO

I see the threads on the Noble Experiment, but am not able to find it. A search put me into the Archives, but again, I was not able to find it. **!!!** *!*!*! Now with my new eye glasses I should be able to see better, but am beginning to think that I may have to get them changed for a higher magnification. LOL

Need help, and thank you. !$th_u$!

Ray of Sunshine
edbangor
Dispatcher

Ray of Sunshine wrote:I see the threads on the Noble Experiment, but am not able to find it. A search put me into the Archives, but again, I was not able to find it. **!!!** *!*!*! Now with my new eye glasses I should be able to see better, but am beginning to think that I may have to get them changed for a higher magnification. LOL

Need help, and thank you. !$th_u$!

Ray of Sunshine
It's at the bottom of page three of the North American section of the map archive here
http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/map_arch/rt3_n_am3.htm
Just remember to do everything Big Jim tells you...
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Just remember, all the maps in the archive are listed in alphabetical order, per section. ;-)
Hawk
RayofSunshine
CEO

Thanks fellas,

Didn't give the alphabetical arrangement a thought, as I thought that it would be listed as a new map.

As the saying goes, "I sat up all night to see where the sun set, and it finally dawned on me".

Ray of Sunshine
Grandma Ruth
CEO

edbangor wrote: with some...erm... 'creative' stock market work (don't ask although it's good job that sort of stuff doesn't go on in real life).
Doesn't it ? :mrgreen:
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it. :-D Hope Ray has a good time!
Barney
Hobo

A very fun map Grandma Ruth. I was kind of hoping that I would have the option to put a contract out on Big Jim. What a PITA he is. Was glad when he got busted finally. As usual, they missed the politician, wonder how that happened. He must have been out stumping for votes in the cemeteries again. LOL. Got to love American politics. Any way I did notice that in the News event for the TVA, Fertilizer is spelled Fertiliser. I know we spell things differently on this side of the pond then proper English, but I do not think that is one of them, but I could be wrong. After all, I was born and raised in the south, what do we know about English, we speak hillbilly any way. As for the map, getting grain to grow in Canada has been rough, however, the rum runners are very consistent. You may have to cut down the area around Cicero, since I still had to clear cars from the train, if the station was to far from the warehouse. I did check, and all you had to do was ping pong the train between Chicago and Cicero to get credit for delivery, which I recall was something you wanted to avoid. At least on this computer any way, but it really does have a mind of its own. As for your map, I will eventually get it right, but the option of having Big Jim whacked, is sure appealing. Thank you and be safe. (0!!0)
Grandma Ruth
CEO

Thanks Barney - what an excellent idea, I thought having Big Jim exiled to London was punishment enough! I'm afraid we are "two nations divided by a common language" as somebody once said. I should really try to remember the American spellings of things when I base a game in America. :roll:
Anyway, glad you enjoyed it.
Barney
Hobo

But what about the option to have Big Jim whacked? Could you imagine floating bonds to pay for a hit on a mob boss. It sounds like something business would do today, come to think of it.

As to language, we do not even speak the same language in different areas of this country. Deep South compared to Yankee New England is the difference between night and day. Truthfuly, I do not think they could even communicate. :-D
Orange46
Dispatcher

GR, keep the english spelling. Oh,and yes, I'm finally on 1.06. Now I know how you felt trying to play and fix our scenario. I'm on my second try with this scenario and I never thought seriously about trying to run two companies (I hate the way the AI bolixes up my train schedules), but since I'm now in the mid 1930's and don't even have a net worth that meets bronze, I was beginning to think this scenario was impossible. But that aside, it is fun. My failed strategy involved buying out cheap companies and sabotaging the track connections of the more successful ones and then providing them with my own connections which were designed to make their trains use my tracks as much as possible. But, this isn't coming close to getting my useless net worth up enough, let alone my cash.

Later in the day: Got a Bronze with $12.5 million.
Quality is Job 1.01
Grandma Ruth
CEO

So glad you're able to do the 1.06 ones at last! !*th_up*! As far as I remember (I'm at work) I had a real difficulty deciding how to play it when writing 1.06 scenarios. Because of the ship-at-a-loss, do I assume that people will "cheat" and make the goals correspondingly hard or is that forcing people to cheat whether thay want to or not? I remember being very impressed with your cheat-catcher in CC and using that somewhere but I can't think if it was this one or the Japanese one.
It must be do-able, I wouldn't upload it to Hawk if not. I seem to remember that in the second version it's not actually necessary to obey Big Jim's every whim in order to win. Have fun!
Orange46
Dispatcher

You did not put the cheat catcher in this one. That's one of the first things I tried and was surprised I got away with it!
Quality is Job 1.01
Grandma Ruth
CEO

It must be in Mighty Meiji then - or maybe it got lost in the revision. The one that's there now was much improved by beta-testing.