Bridging the Mississippi

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.06.
ishaybas
Hobo

Bridging the Mississippi Unread post

Anyone managed to crack this one on Expert?

It seems like there is not enough cargo to go around,
and without the ability to buy or build industry,
your expenses in expert quickly turn into debt, and the interest kills
you before you reach 1850 and have only 4 cities connected.

I tried several starting positions, none were different.

Any ideas?
belbincolne
Engineer

Re: Bridging the Mississippi Unread post

I dont know about Expert I've had two quick tries on Normal and got nowhere! There's just no cargo. On first try I connected first 5 cities but a month late and promised money didn't arrive so abandoned and on 2nd I didn't even get that far!
andy-rails
Hobo

this scenario is quiteimpossible at any try...not enough cargo at all! **!!!** *!*!*!
Orange46
Dispatcher

belbincolne wrote:On first try I connected first 5 cities but a month late and promised money didn't arrive
I assume you waited for the new month after you took over the L&M. Although I never tested on normal, this part always worked on easy and expert.

I can understand the problems at the start of the game; it can be quite difficult to get traction. I almost abandoned my final test on expert, but then suddenly everything clicked and I had my best game ever. And for ishaybas, I have noted that some cities ( e.g. Cleveland) don't perform as well as I would have liked if connected to too early.

I did start a new game on expert before writing this post, and after a miserable 1831, things picked up and I have 6 cities in late January 1833 and Cleveland is not one of them. Sadly, I discovered an oversight in my testing that will affect those who are behind schedule and in 1856, so I will have to put out a revised version. But first, I would like to see what else might be found. Edit-and my new Grand Rapids-Lansing train has a $157,000 load. By the way, I only have one water tower outside of Adrian and no maintenance sheds.
Quality is Job 1.01
ishaybas
Hobo

Hey,

What do you mean exactly:

"I assume you waited for the new month after you took over the L&M"

Thanks
Orange46
Dispatcher

In 1842 or if later, when you connect to the 5 cities, a new briefing comes up and it tells you to take over the L&M and that funds will arrive next month.
Quality is Job 1.01
ishaybas
Hobo

I never reached a point I could connect to even two of the cities in expert :)
Orange46
Dispatcher

In this scenario you have to really watch your money, as you don't start with much and the cargoes are just milk and produce, besides express. The milk can be milked, however, by watching for where it is demanded and sending it there in bulk. The maintenance sheds can wait until you have money or you are buying more expensive engines. A shed costs $5k a year just to maintain, while the early engines only cost $10k. You also pay 10k or more interest each year on the $100k you spent to buy the shed. So, each year you could buy 1 to 2 engines for the carrying cost of the shed.

Cities - for some reason Cleveland isn't a good place to go to until after you have connected to Saginaw and Grand Rapids. Then, it is a wonderful place.

The scenario gives you more seed money in the easier levels.
Quality is Job 1.01
belbincolne
Engineer

As I said I had gone into Jan - was waiting for a train to pull in with a decent cargo and end of year came quicker than I expected. Anyway carried on and took over and no cash arrived after some 18 months - actually of course thats just what should happen so cant complain. Will give it another try.
Orange46
Dispatcher

I'm in 1838 in my current play, so I will see what happens.
Quality is Job 1.01
ishaybas
Hobo

Hey Orange,

Which cities have you connected first then?
Orange46
Dispatcher

Usually, and in the game I'm now playing, Detroit, Lansing, Saginaw, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, then Kal, SB, Chicago and then down to Lima and either Fort Wayne or Indianapoli. Some connections are affected by how much money I have and I have skipped Kal and SB if I can build straight to Chicago from GR, but that happened only once. I want to use all of my money at the start of each year that my credit rating goes up to B, but I don't want to go to tiny cities unless they are leading me to a bigger goal, like Chicago. I lost every time I went to Cleveland before Saginaw, but that may have been just bad luck.
Quality is Job 1.01
ishaybas
Hobo

which difficulty level are you playing?
Orange46
Dispatcher

Expert.
Quality is Job 1.01
ishaybas
Hobo

And do you micro manage your trains?
Orange46
Dispatcher

Yes, but only until I get to about 10 trains. However, most trains run regular routes even before 10, as irregular routes require more water towers. This scenario is designed for micro managing because there are not that many trains that you have to worry about. Express works well using regular routes and there isn't that much freight - and freight is what you need to manage to get every last dollar in the beginning. I rename freights with an "f" to remind me to fix their routes when they arrive at a station. The regulars I mostly ignore, other than to check water and maintenance.
Quality is Job 1.01
ishaybas
Hobo

So you every time you see an F train reaching a station you tend to it?
Orange46
Dispatcher

Well, that's what i would like, but it doesn't always happen. I get lost train watching, especially after building a new route - as I'm watching water levels and stuff - so I miss trains. But, yes, f's are fixer freights. When more than one train is running a regular route, I put them together on the list and then from the train list I can sometimes see if they get bunched up - but in this scenario that doesn't really happen too much. On bigger scenarios where this is a problem- bunching -I label the trains rotes to keep them straight - but not needed here.
Quality is Job 1.01
Sugus
Engineer

Gave it a try today, but was stupid to force a connection to Chicago. Better, I got Cleveland first - was some miles short to fullfill the 1842 contract. (BTW: Why doesn't the map "stop me" in this unfullfilled situation?)
There's no business like RT business ...
Orange46
Dispatcher

Sugus wrote:(BTW: Why doesn't the map "stop me" in this unfullfilled situation?)
Your original contract with the E&K said that the date wasn't set in stone. You can easily get Bronze or possibly Silver even if you miss a lot of deadlines. You have until the end of 1891, which is set almost in stone - you get an extra month for all but gold.
Quality is Job 1.01