New Map: Egypt by rejima

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.06.
rejima

New Map: Egypt by rejima Unread post

Hello, I have been working on a map of Egypt, this is my first attempt at a map, please forgive the many mistakes. I need beta testers. Thanks.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: New Map: Egypt 1854-1904 Unread post

You could attach it to a post so folks could download it and test it. ;-)
Hawk
rejima

Yes, sorry, here it is.

Edit by Hawk: Map available in the archives in the Africa section.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

It should be noted; this is a 1.06 map. ;-)

Please understand, I'm not complaining about anything mentioned below. Just commenting on what I have observed. :salute:

I built rail from Alexandria to Beni Suef and Al-Faiyum and started hauling cotton, but I wasn't getting credit for the loads of cotton I hauled. **!!!**
Click on image to view full size
I looked into the editor and found out why.
I built the station outside of the ports territory.

Time to start again.

It's going to be interesting to see how I'll be able to haul 150 loads of sugar from the only two sugar farms on the map, since suspension bridges aren't available until 1895, and I don't think cargo will travel by itself across oceans and/or lakes.
Another interesting thing I noticed. As you can see in the status report, it shows Cairo is connected to Alexandria,
but I don't have a station or track in Cairo. Only a large station in Giza. :mrgreen:
If you click on the image above to see it full size, you'll see one lone church behind the Pyramids. That's why I built a large station in Giza. ;-)
Hawk
rejima

Thank you very much for your comments, its my first attempt to make a map, I will try to fix those mistakes. Making the ports area bigger I would fix the Alexandria problem. About the sugar, there is an event that will create more sugar farms. Regarding the Cairo connected to Alexandria problem, do you think I should remove Giza as a city? I like it because it is besides the piramids and it is very nice to pass by them! :-D
rejima

Here's an updated map, I think I fixed the problems that you mentioned. Thanks!

Edit by Hawk: Map available in the archives in the Africa section.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I don't think you should remove Giza. Maybe you could move it over a little bit. I'm not sure how realistic that would be though.
If you use a medium station that issue won't be a problem, but I like large stations. :mrgreen:

In 1859 I got the messages about building the Suez Canal and realized that starting in Alexandria may not have been a good idea. ^**lylgh
I should have started in Cairo.
I'll try the new map, since I want to start again anyway, this time in Cairo.
Thanks for the tip on the sugar farms. :salute:

Not bad for your first map. !*th_up*!

It's my bed time right now so I'll give this another try tomorrow. Maybe others will jump in and give it a try also.

One more thing I'd like to mention. If you create maps in Version 1.06, it's a good idea to let folks know.
1.06 maps won't show up in the selection list of Version 1.05, and some of the members here, including me, have multiple installs of RT3.

1.05, 1.06, and TM. (0!!0)
Hawk
RayofSunshine
CEO

There is a problem in starting in Cairo as well Hawk. The first access to get across the Nile is just short of Minyae, and then each year the floods wipe it out. So, if you start in Cairo, you also so not have access to Port Said, as it requires a "high bridge". I don't see any alternative except to start on the west coast of Giza, Alexandria, etc, and establish a railway for a number of years, hauling the required commodities, and then possibly elect to run a branch rail line along the east of the Nile. At least having a adequate amount to replace bridges each year. *!*!*!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Ray of Sunshine wrote:The first access to get across the Nile is just short of Minyae, and then each year the floods wipe it out.
Pay a little closer attention to the newspaper about the floods. Note the words 'single track bridges'. ;-)
Hawk
RayofSunshine
CEO

Will try to be more observant Hawk.
Now the problem is that of the requiremets for the Suez Canal. I hauled a number of coal hauls from an area around MUT to the Suez, but didn't get any tabulated credit. Then I noticed a warehouse near ISMALI which was demanding the same commodities as that for the Suez, so I ran a consist of 4 coal from Cairo. No credit tabulation for it either. Don't know if anyone is having the same problem, but just to let it be known. :salute:
RayofSunshine
CEO

I have not gotten and feed-back, but am still having the problem of trying to get credit for hauling coal to the Suez. Tried re-downloading the scenario, but no different result, although no crashes. !hairpull!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Are you hauling coal to Suez or Ismailia? I'm pretty sure coal is supposed to be going to the warehouse just north of Ismailia.
Hawk
brunom
Dispatcher

Hi

I am one of the four guys that downloaded your map. So far I only had time for a quick start, which didn't really go that well (see below the "details") and will play again soon. In the meanwhile, I wanted to congratulate you on the map looks - a good paint job and overall perfect look. I noticed one or two messy curves in the Nile, but nothing serious.

As for my gameplay. Started in Alexandria placing a lumbermill and railroading to Mynia to haul cotton. That was easy and straightforward, so, with two bonds issued I also bought a couple of expensive locos and started having profit from year 1. It seemed easy and I connected further down to Asyut. All good, but I issued bonds for that. Then a strong floods year washed away my wooden bridge...

I was expecting that, having read the msgs in here, and I was still well in the profit zone (economy was booming, btw). So, being the careless, over-confident manager that I am, I just took another 2M in bonds and built a state of the art, long, double-track bridge in shiny new stone arches... I was so proud...

Evidently, 19th century engines crash a lot, and they started crashing. Evidently, over 4M bonds issued in a startup company is a heavy burden to cope with. Evidently, the economy boom wouldn't last forever. Evidently, the lumbermill profit slowly went down as the market grew mature.
Evidently, after all that, I went into red figures.

Next start will be better. So far, the little I played, nothing wrong to report. Before the final release, I would fix those river details..

Well done, and will get back to this soon
B

!**yaaa
belbincolne
Engineer

Hi. Playing this now - cant recall whether its first or 2nd map. I'm always very careful about station placements so I've not lost any shipments. Really I think the scenario is too long - I'm a couple of years after the canal has been built and it takes a heck of a long time to save at the end of each year.

A flaw is that the bridges are washed away so built (wooden) double track - they're washed away too. Have to be stone (or presumably iron - I havent built one since they came in) and double. However my main problem is that I cant get into two necessary territories (and was difficult to bridge the Nile too although I eventually succeeded well up stream). I assume that this will only be possible once suspension bridges come in - unfortunately I cant remember when this is. Consequently for the last 10 years or so I've just been messing about trying to get a profitable industry structure so I'll have the cash for when the bridges arrive or some more oil/cotton etc arrive. I think I can make bronze/silver carryings but oil for Gold looks hard at present.

As soon as I was offered a bonus for helping to carry goods to help build canal I took it - then realised it would be impossible as most were positioned where I couldn't get rails to. Therefor went back to previous save and refused. Was told I'd have to pay taxes etc on Industry - later paid to have someone try to get this cancelled. Never heard any more but would seem that it was as Industry cost is now less than normal - another message needed therefor.

Thats all I can remember for now - will report again when I've got further on.
belbincolne
Engineer

Finished it and got Silver - ran a lot better today so must have been something going on on my computer yesterday to make it run so slowly. Really there's nothing much more to add. You do need to save LOTS of money (or buy into the other countries earlier than you need) so that when suspension bridges arrive (1895) you can immediately connect to the extra cities AND the (in my case) 2 additional oil wells. I connected to every oil well as it arrived and ran a custom consist full load to the nearest qualifying port - two trains from each in most cases and still only transported 147 loads. Either I was unlucky with my seed or you need to reduce this qualification.

The other snag with the scenario is that for many years there's nothing to do except let it run. I put in my own PNW target - and had so much cash that I bought back stock several times (over $20m spent this way I'd guess) and also the huge number of train crashes which meant that I couldn't go away and do something else in January.

Thanks for the scenario :-) :-D :-)
RayofSunshine
CEO

Hawk wrote:Are you hauling coal to Suez or Ismailia? I'm pretty sure coal is supposed to be going to the warehouse just north of Ismailia.
It has been a time since I checked this thread, and was playing a few other scenarios. That said, I had hauled coal to both the Sueq connected. Not getting any response, I built a depot at Simali connected which encompassed the Warehouse. But even hauling coal to it from Cairo, it didn't give me any credit for it either.

With all that was said with the other members, I tried downloading the scenario, again, but this problem still exists. I see other member indicating the different problems, but no mention for getting credit for hauling coal.

Bel, the "high bridge" doesn't come affective until 1895.
RayofSunshine
CEO

So Bel,
Where did you run the coal to get credit? I failed to get credit for either Sueq or Ismalli, which included the warehouse. Have tried a couple of dowloads to see if it was my computer, but that didn't help. The only option I have, yet have not tried, was to just isolate the warehouse with a separate spur. **!!!**
belbincolne
Engineer

Sorry Ray. Never tried to run coal - it wasnt one of the three main requirements was it (Cotton,Oil and ? - I've forgotten) and I rejected the "Help build Suez canal" because my rails started in Alexandria and I couldn't get to where the required commodities for that were located because they needed suspension bridges ( and some $5m territory buy ins which I certainly couldn't afford then). That has however reminds me that the programme acted as though I had taken the "Help" route and failed.

These days I simply cant be bothered to interrogate the scenario design to see if there is a flaw in it - in fact I've forgotten how to its so long since I built a scenario myself.
RayofSunshine
CEO

Bel,
I'm not definitely sure at this point, as I have been playing a number of other scenarios which I had put into the "Bad Maps" inventory. But now that I have checked and replaced some engines which were missing, I have found those scenarios to be playable without "hanging up" or crashing.

To the best of memory, I believe that coal and gravel or something are requirements to build the Suez Canal or Locks or something to that affect. Now due to the number of coal hauls, I started early, as both, there is not that many mines, as well as nearly 3/4 of the map from the destination.

I started my initial depot in Cairo and had a little problem with bridges being washed out, until I got a hint from Hawk that I missed the notation that basically wooden bridges were the ones affected. However, I did have to go a cistance up stream. So as long as I was in the approximate area of coal, I started hauling. And from the point of the bridge crossing, started to lay track to Alexandria. Everything was going good, as I was also expanding upstream toward the only other coal mines, when I ran into the snag of not getting credit for the coal hauls.

Rilght now it is in the Bad Maps, until the problem is fixed, OR, that some how I am in error in the location to drop off the coal hauls. Although I have hauled coal to depots in Suez and a nearby Warehouse, it is possible that the depot is not in an ""exact"" spotting to get the credit.

Might try another attempt after I clear out all the previous "Bad Maps". :salute:
belbincolne
Engineer

Should have thought of putting those I cant play into a bad folder - good idea.

Anyway I re-ran just to see what the position really was. Obviously the seeds may be different with each start (though I suspect not significantly). You require carryings of Cotton - 100 (easy and mill is profitable); Sugar - 150 - not hard despite 50% being on islands not reachable until 1895 and Oil - 200 which I found impossible.

In 1859 to get bonus you can run following to Ismailia - west of Suez canal so nothing can be run from east of there because requirement is 10 years and you cant get there till 1895 plus that early in game you havent the capital to buy in anyway.

On this seed the position was
Coal - 40 - only 1 mine at west extreme - 5 east of canal - very hard to achieve?
Iron - 40 - 7 right in the south - should be o/k if you have already got your rails down there
Rock - 40 - 4 a long way away so may be o/k - 7 east of canal
Logs - 20 - none (except at port of Alexandria) - only a test would show if this can be achieved. 7 were east of Suez

Looks to me as though the start up seed needs a bit of tweaking