New map: The Florida Peninsula

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.06.
arop
Dispatcher

New map: The Florida Peninsula Unread post

:-D I have the plesure to present my latest map, called The Florida Peninsula, for RRT3 v 1.06, beta version. It's an improved version of my old Florida map, built as a bigger and brand new map. Attached to the map file, there is a read me showing all the locomotives used in this scenario. AI's (max number possible, but all optional) are tamed a little, a way so the only are able to build 125 sections of track, it will prevent them from building long lines across the map, they can only connect to the nearest town, which looks better (according to my opinion). The Avaibility of locomotives for AI,s is limited too, preventing them from using BIG engines on short lines. In my first test game I had silver in 1940 :salute: All comments are wellcome.

Edit by Hawk: Map file deleted. Now in the Archives.
Attachments
FLORIDA, Read Me. -loco list..rtf
(1.29 KiB) Downloaded 348 times
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: New map, The Florida Peninsula, beta version Unread post

It would be so much easier if you would just list the non-default engines used instead of having to sort through the list you gave and try to figure out what was default and what need to be added. ;-)
Hawk
Sugus
Engineer

Yes! It would ... :oops:
There's no business like RT business ...
arop
Dispatcher

I'll think about it, next time I build a map : :-) . But there is an alternative :-P Remove all events concerning locomotive avaibility in the ledger and choose the engines you prefer from your own loco list?, then I don't think the game will crash?
RayofSunshine
CEO

As I like the "flats" of terrain, this to me is a great scenario for players who basically just like to play. But in this scenario I have a few suggestions, or hints. I only played the Med level without any AIs, which might make a difference in the requirement. The requirement for that of 1000 lds of alcohol to be hauled into GA. In my play, all a player has to do is to just haul it anywhere.
The track does not have to be connected. Hence I started a number of different locations. 1st that of Jacksonville to maintain revenue in hauling pass/mail/etc. expanding west to Tallahass.
2nd to that of Orlando, as it had a Distillery and lots of Produce in the area, extending north to Jacksonville.
3rd around Palm Springs, with multiple sugar farms, building a Distillery at Delay, and expanding both south to Miami, and just north for future cnn to Jacksonville.

This to be the biggest hint. Prior to laying track into an area, buy up all the industries, even with slight profit losses. There are some industries which are beyond your revenues, so I bought my own at the time. Later to buy them at a greater cost. Buying too many is not a waste, as the requirements of the LIP and the PNW are not easily to get acquired. Considering that although there are great bonuses, the laying of track for the bonuses, and doling revenues for both the industries and the stock dividend, it takes a lot of revenue.

I did manage to get all the bonuses. 30G/60G track laid. JXN to MIA track laid. and the 1000 loads of sugar, produce, and alcohol, of which was only a BZ medal, I was not able to get the BZ for the LIP and PNW. They might have been possible, but I decided to stop within 7 years of the deadline. I believe the only industry which I did not get involved was that of the Quarry/Furnace, as I have never really received much revenue from them, and especially a satisfactory amount of profits.

I found it to be a very challenging scenario in the requirements, as believe that any player will find it a well worthwhile scenario, whether a beginner or more advanced.
This one caught me "off par" and hope to be more successful in future attempts.

thanks again Arop for your endeavors of time, talent, and immaginagion. :salute:
arop
Dispatcher

!$th_u$! for your comments. The topography in Florida is really flat, actually I had to exaggerate the heights a little, making it possible to cross rivers on bridges without steep embankments. About haulage to Georgia, I must try to figure out how to set the trigger conditions properly, maybe something like " Company Loads of ..... hauled to Territory". In this scenario I have set the passenger production to +50%, because in my research I found, that in the real world, passengers once was among the most important costody due to the heavy tourism in this region, trains with names like "Silver meteor" and "Miami Special" and many more are to be remembered. Mayby it could be relevant to add an avg. express speed bonus and a haulage bonus for passengers (Remember: bonuses are optional only and no part of the win conditions, but can help boosting the PNW a little buying/buying back stocks). The typical profile of the freight traffic in Florida was as follows: various goods to Florida, in return: fruit (fast freight), and other agricultural products. Locally, phosphate and limestone once was an important costody and the only mining products of Florida. The topography and the many fast freights mirrored the use of locomotives in this area: The 4-6-2 Pacifics or 4-8-2 Mountains, typical passenger engines, were often used on the long distance freights with perishables, really big engines as the Challenger or the Big Boy etc. were never used, but the companies had some 2-6-0 Moguls, 2-8-0 consolidations and 2-8-2 Mikados for general freight and a lot of 4-6-0 Ten Wheelers at first for expresses, later on for mixed duties on secondary lines. Dieselisation came early in Florida and steam soon dissapeared to "the eternal scrap heaps". Finnally to say: I'll wait a little, but not too long for other comments, before I want to make any changes and publish this map :salute:
Last edited by arop on Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
belbincolne
Engineer

Cant remember much about this. Know I got Gold on Expert very easily and was surprised because I never carried anything to Georgia but was credited with carryings anywhere so that I'd almost met the targets before I'd even railed into Georgia. Didn't add any engines and just used whatever I'd already got installed. Sorry but, as you know, this type of scenario isn't my favourite but do appreciate the work you put into them.
belbincolne
Engineer

Just replayed with the new map. Got Gold on Expert in 1916 24 years early so it is pretty easy. Dont think I found any flaws at all - the only possibility was not getting the bonus for goods hauled. I certainly didnt get it three times but thats probably correct and I didnt notice getting it once but that may have skipped my attention. Another thing is that there was a lot of rock but the flow from there didn't continue so that the Furnace whilst profiable originally rapidly went into the red as couldnt build a ceramics factory. Similiarly Steel was a bit useless cos there was only one of coal / iron on the map. Anyway enjoyed playing it.
arop
Dispatcher

!$th_u$! for your comments! When I played it last time I had a tough fight against 10 opponents, and was happy that the AI's were limited to build short lines only. By time I managed to take them all over to become fragments of my network (AI's also counts when you are trying to connect the demanded cities). There is no steel production in the agricultural Florida, steel being "imported" from the industrial North to be used in the construction business and a few Tool and Dye factories. Coal from the North goes to electric plants only. Both costodies, and some other goods are dependable on ports and warehouses, I have set them to approx. 50% in the editor, but I positively cannot guarantee they will appear/disapear during the gameplay :salute: .
KingSooper

Anyone else have issues with lumber? After the first hurricane, the price of lumber went to zero and nothing changed after a few years.
RayofSunshine
CEO

With a little "lull" in there being more betas being updated, I decided to try this scenario again. Did fairly well, but was not able to purchase farms fast enough, as although the AIs seemed to be restricted to "short lines", there were 2 of them which bought up everything in sight. Hence the revenue from their investments excelled, and drove up their revenues, and was not able to get control of them. Therefore, my LIP sufferred, and without that revenue, my PNW also went nowhere.
The seasonal diasasters took a toll on the revenue which would have come from my "distilleries". Rare to get them into any profit.
Not much doing with the logs/pulpwood/lumber/paper industries as well.
Textile was very profitable, and also the Dairy industry. However, as mentioned, I basically was not getting an adequate amount of revenue from the "farms", as the majority of them were in the 2 leading AIs aggresiveness.
Still a very interesting scenario, and worth the challenge. :salute: !*th_up*!
arop
Dispatcher

!$th_u$! for your comments. The final version can be found on this site in the map section :salute: