Egypt - 1855

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.06.
OilCan
Engineer

Egypt - 1855 Unread post

I would appreciate some beta testers for a new game. A connect and haul type of game with a company book value goal as well.

Start the first railroad in Egypt, in all of Africa for that matter. Follow the historical timeline for that era. Invest in the Suez Canal Company and try to reap a personal fortune. Have lots of fun while you do it.

This is a 1.06V game. I had to use 1.06V for the computations of stock yields and payments of haul loads.

Let me know what worked and what did not work so well.

Note: On August 6, I removed the Beta version.
Last edited by OilCan on Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RayofSunshine
CEO

Re: Egypt - Beta Test Unread post

An interesting concept of challenges. Tried the Expert, as I usally test beta, but without success. Hence I am in ther Medium with a couple of AIs, and doing much better. But I do have a quesiton of reason. What is the purpose of the notices in 3-Mar, 6-June, and 9-Sept, with the comments of AI$150 Boost: and the 65% chance <count this>? **!!!** :salute: {,0,}
OilCan
Engineer

Ray of Sunshine: those are notes to myself, which I forgot to delete before releasing the beta version. The first signals when an AI company gets a financial boost. This was supposed to be a secret to the player. It will be in the final version. The second message told me when a secret, random event occurred. I was testing how often it would occur in a game and so made a note to myself to count the times it occurred. This message will be deleted in the final version.

The last two times I test played the game I did not have any AI in the game, so those messages did not appear and I forgot to delete them before sending out the beta version.

Sorry for the confusion. :oops:
RayofSunshine
CEO

Confusion???? Well, it doesn't take much for me. LOL However, as it didn't seem to be of much concern with my playing, I just continued, while waiting for an explanation.

SO, I did get the Gold in the Medium level near the deadline. And did not have any problems with the programming

Well, other than my thru trains, did not stop for maintainences, and with those with a haul beyond, did not stop until New Dongola.

The only challenge which I did not get hardly a start, let alone a completion, was that of hauling 'coffee' to Alexandria. It was my fault, as I had erronously directed the 'crystals' to Al'Said, even though I had made a note to haul to As Saldium. Not paying attention. When I finally found the error, it didn't leave an adequate amount of time to start getting the loads from Khafarum with the coffee.

This is a very interesting scenario, and true to the "OilCan" creations, it keeps a player trying to find avenues to get the medals. And I enjoyed it very much. !*th_up*! :salute: {,0,}
Sugus
Engineer

I was slightly irritated !hairpull! , because I already have a map named Egypt in my archives. It is from rejima.
To make it available but to avoid further confusion I'll send it to Hawk for the archives as "Egypt by rejima".
And, of course, I'll try to be successful with OilCan's version within the next few days ... (0!!0)
There's no business like RT business ...
Sugus
Engineer

Today - on a first and fast walkthrough - there was no success. Seems that the trips to both Ras Banai as well as Kebabo were flops and that I better should concentrate on increasing the CBV. Ended up with 35 cities, 1695 loads of passengers and - hmmm - a CBV of $21 million: what a shame! :-D
Anyway, this map is really challenging and should be tried by any RT3 fan ... which is not surprising: it's a map by OilCan! !!clap!!
OilCan
Engineer

Sugus! Good so see a post from you! :-D I thought you had maybe moved on to other, less important matters than RT3.

Thanks for the comments about the game.

I will rename this as "Egypt 1937" in the final version so as not to create a duplicate 'Egypt'.
Sugus
Engineer

OilCan wrote:I thought you had maybe moved on to other, less important matters than RT3.
During the last few month I was completely focussed on the "Heroes of Might and Magic" series, my second great love besides RT3.
I collected a lot of user made maps for HoMM 1 up to HoMM 6 and - of course - programmed a corresponding overview utility. :-D
Nevertheless, I'll never stop to play RT3. (0!!0)
RayofSunshine
CEO

The only possible 'duplicate' for your scenario, would only be that of the 'title'. Your scenario challenges are so much different that that of Rejima. I have a number of comments to make on the Rejima's challenges. Very different in their scope, of which I will be starting a new thread. :salute: {,0,}
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: Egypt - 1855 Unread post

As usual Ray, this scenario was fun, interesting and challenging. I didn't think I was going to make it, but I got Gold at the end of year 20. :mrgreen:
Egypt 1855.jpg
Egypt 1855.jpg (54.72 KiB) Viewed 13856 times
BTW! I changed the title of this thread to match the map name. ;-)
Hawk
OilCan
Engineer

Hawk wrote:As usual Ray, this scenario was fun, interesting and challenging. I didn't think I was going to make it, but I got Gold at the end of year 20.
I'm very glad that you enjoyed the game. It is sometimes hard for a map creator to know how other players will enjoy a map; there's a balance between challenge and fun which is sometimes hard to find.

I did enjoy building this particular game story: it came together fairly quickly compared to some others that I have done. I wished I could have snapped a google satellite image onto the map, but that conversation thread came about well after I had created the map and was writing the events. At some point in my life I'd like to see Cairo and the pyramids, but right now is probably not a good time. :-(
Hawk
The Big Dawg

You generally do a good job of creating maps that are fun, interesting and challenging at the same time. !*th_up*!

You're right. I don't think now would be a good time to travel abroad to the mid-east. :mrgreen:
Hawk
RayofSunshine
CEO

Well OilCan,
Although it is not suggested to tour Egypt or most of Africa at this time, there had been some report, that Al Qaeda and/or their 'subordinates', were planning on destroying the Pyramids. It doesn't go along with their agenda of 'worship'. Wouldn't be the 1st time that they attempted to destroy other people's beliefs. BUT if you want to be a convert to Islam, they might consider your visit. LOL :salute: {,0,}
OilCan
Engineer

Now you have done it! You wrote the words 'Al Qaeda', 'destroying the pyramids' and 'convert to Islam' in the same message. I'm certain that the NSA is reading our forum right now and that they have zoomed their satellite cameras onto Hawk's house; they are probably watching him stroll about. Wave Hawk!
OilCan
Engineer

Oh no! I just did the same thing! Let me immediately go on record as saying that I'm OK with the NSA, I sing the national anthem, I pay my taxes and I would have served my country in Vietnam but I was too young for the draft, honest.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I waved and they waved back. ^**lylgh
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

You could do a new map of Egypt 2013. All it'd need to include is smoking ruins everywhere. Easy. !*th_up*!
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

OilCan wrote:Oh no! I just did the same thing! Let me immediately go on record as saying that I'm OK with the NSA, I sing the national anthem, I pay my taxes and I would have served my country in Vietnam but I was too young for the draft, honest.
BUT.............do you like MOM and Apple Pie? ^**lylgh
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Wolverine@MSU wrote:BUT.............do you like MOM and Apple Pie? ^**lylgh
...and Chevy (not Chase :roll: ) and hot dogs?
Hawk
OilCan
Engineer

Wolverine@MSU wrote:BUT.............do you like MOM and Apple Pie? ^**lylgh
Yes, yes, I love my Mom and apple pie! And John Wayne, and Bruce Springsteen, and George Washington, and Chevrolets and hot dogs!