Battle for California

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.06.
RayofSunshine
CEO

Battle for California Unread post

Since I have downloaded/installed the TMs for Steams Train's scenarios, some of my regular scenarios end in being either hung up, or just crashed. *!*!*!
Now I am having the same problems with Lama's scenario. Don't know the reason, and playing on an XP with the 1.06 Patch. **!!!**
I might have to undo the TMs additions, to see if they are the problem, although I did not have a problem with most of Steam Train's scenarios. Other than that I was not able to attain the medals. LOL Never had this problem with any of Lama's scenarios previously. :salute: {,0,}
Shamough
Conductor

Re: Battle for California Unread post

Did you TM the 1.06? Or do a new load of RT3 and then C2C it and then upgrade it to 1.05 and then TM it?

TM don't likee 1.06.
Card carrying member of the original RailRoad Flat Earth Society.

If it ain't flat it ain't flat enough!
RayofSunshine
CEO

That is odd Shamough,
As I played all of SteamTrain's scenario without a problem, except that of Genesse & WY, which hung up.

My system had been installed with RT3-C2C-1.05 and 1.06 for years without a problem. It has just been since I installed the TMs that my problems started.

And Lama stated that this was a 1.06 system. *!*!*! But thanks for the info. Didn't know there was a problem with TM not being compatible with the 1.06 Patch. :salute: {,0,}
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I think there might be a bit of confusion here.
I think Ray is talking about some of the TM extras. Not TM in particular.
Steam Train's maps do require some of the rollingstock that is listed as being for TM, but they still work in 1.05 and 1.06.
Also some of Steam Train's maps require the railyard structure, which I believe does work in 1.05 and 1.06.
Hawk
Lama
Brakeman

I created the map with a vanilla 1.05 patched to a full 1.06 (all options enabled, engines and all).

You could try branching off a new installation from your vanilla 1.05, maybe?
RayofSunshine
CEO

Thanks Fellas,
For the info, and sorry for me adding to the confusion. Hawk is correct in his comment that the mentioned TMs were the Railyard Stuctures, as well as the Building Structure additions in order to play SteamTrain's scenaios. !$th_u$!

Being that I was able to play most of those scenarios without any problem, I still have to do some research on why the Genesse & WY keeps "hanging up"? **!!!**

Will try to see if a reinstallation of the "vanilla 1.05" is what is causing the problem with both the Battle for Calif, as well as that of Genesse. However, doesn't the "formula" which Hawk indicates, that the C2C, 1.05, and 1.06 have to be installed in that order to work? *!*!*! Why is it called "vanilla"? :salute: {,0,}
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Vanilla simply means no extra add-ons. Just the patches.

Maybe you should consider separate installs for 1.05 and 1.06, as described in this topic: viewtopic.php?f=82&t=2363
Hawk
RayofSunshine
CEO

Well I didn't do none of the above suggestions, but did manage to play a full game, well at least to get a BZ. No problem, but this time more difficult. The 1st attempt of which I did get a BZ, but it then 'hung up", I was given the territory of access in the Central California, and managed to get an adequate amount of revenue, for the LAX SFO connection. This attempt was a bummer, as the initial access was to that of the LAX area. (don't remember the access name) But a very different 'story' in trying to get revenue, as well as access to Central, let alone the $1M for that access. A real different system of play. *!*!*!

There may not be a connection, but I removed all of the Railway Structures and Buildings, which then would not let me even operate RT3. SO, I reinstalled them, and thereafter, no problems. **!!!** :salute: {,0,}
Lama
Brakeman

What's a BZ, Ray?
Gumboots
CEO

Bronze. ;-)
Lama
Brakeman

Duh! :lol:
RulerofRails
CEO

This is a fantastic map. I was just beating myself up trying to get a win in less than 15 years (Expert). I was having trouble growing PNW fast enough and keeping it when the economy went sour. On my last successful attempt I needed to backtrack twice to the beginning of the year. Unfortunately, that changes the game as the economy may not follow the same route and this time kept me out of Depression.

I started by building a Meat Packing Plant just up the coast from Santa Barbara and buying the only Ore Mine on the map near Mojave. The second year I built a Textile Mill nearby. The San Joaquin company didn't choose good routes to start. And there was no "Goods" Warehouse in Sacramento. This allowed me to take it over in the third year. Then I bought more industry and expanded my rails south. If a takeover isn't possible trying to split between investing in my company and the San Joaquin Railway is tough because growth is fast but getting the book value up enough to cover your positions when the economy crashes is more challenging.

This is just what I like: a good challenge on a nice map. The terrain makes for some good price gradients and balance and goals are perfect. Lama, thank-you for this map! Enjoyed it a lot.