Cold War Colorado for v1.06

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.06.
Cash on Wheels
Conductor

Cold War Colorado for v1.06 Unread post

My third map release is ready for beta testing. Cold War Colorado.This one is fast paced, challenging & event-stuffed like Madagascar & the Bermuda Triangle. Like the other two you need good with PNW and pay attention so you do not lose track of time!

I have an optional building.bca file below. Use for this map or any other. THis file makes the electric plant burn 6 coal a year and no oil. Instruction for installation are on post #7-9 below on this thread.

****Spoilers may be below!****
Electric Plant CWC.zip
(276 Bytes) Downloaded 395 times
This map is intended to play with this fix-

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4014

This stops coal from moving all over the place.

Submitted to Archives 2/9/17
Last edited by Cash on Wheels on Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:53 am, edited 8 times in total.
RulerofRails
CEO

Re: Cold War Colorado for v1.06 Unread post

Only just started playing the map. There was little high-value cargo ready to haul so I went for a cautious industry start. Many farms were discounted at game start. Also, I can buy them anywhere, even in territories that I don't have access to.

Main thing I wanted to report was that I selected two AI players. The first one started a company connecting Grand Junction to Somerset with two tunnels. His track value is $93.3M so of course his company has a mountain of debt and his share price collapsed to $1 within the month. I resisted the urge to do a max short on him which would have been worth a couple million in PNW. I suppose this was not intended?
Cash on Wheels
Conductor

RulerofRails wrote:Only just started playing the map. There was little high-value cargo ready to haul so I went for a cautious industry start. Many farms were discounted at game start. Also, I can buy them anywhere, even in territories that I don't have access to.

Main thing I wanted to report was that I selected two AI players. The first one started a company connecting Grand Junction to Somerset with two tunnels. His track value is $93.3M so of course his company has a mountain of debt and his share price collapsed to $1 within the month. I resisted the urge to do a max short on him which would have been worth a couple million in PNW. I suppose this was not intended?
That's a first for me. But that is not the only weird start to the game the AI has used on me.
key west.jpg
More problems I noticed is none of them start in Texas or N. mex , and those 4-6-6-4 challengers will drain AI bank accounts early in games. Maybe I should use different AI. (the game was suppose to ship with an option of up to six AI! not 2!)
Gumboots
CEO

Don't let them buy Challengers. ;-) Those are very expensive to run (massive fuel costs) and will definitely send an AI broke unless there is a lot of lucrative traffic around.
Cash on Wheels
Conductor

Betas Removed
Last edited by Cash on Wheels on Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
RulerofRails
CEO

Challenger and Big Boy with more economical settings. These settings will likely be further refined in the future as part of larger projects underway. Note: If you are using Lirio's loco update pack, this will revert the introduction dates for these locos to the default 1.06 ones.
Attachments
Challenger, Big Boy more economical.zip
(1.32 KiB) Downloaded 348 times
RayofSunshine
CEO

Well Cash on Wheels,
The explanation of the scenario was interesting, so I downloaded it. But as instructed, I made a Back Up Folder, which I did not have, transferred the regular Electric Plant to that Folder, and then copied your Electric Plant CWA to the Building Data folder. !*th_up*!
However, when I tried to boot up scenario, it advised that "it could not find the Electric Plant, which I checked to make sure that the transfer(copied) transaction had actually been made. **!!!** *!*!*!

Now, if this is just happening with my system, I will resort back to the initial programmed Electric Plant.
:salute: {,0,}
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I just tried this and the scenario loaded just fine.
Are you sure you put the Electric Plant CWC.bca in the Data/BuildingTypes folder in your 1.06 install, assuming of course you have a separate 1.06 install?

Also, are you sure you didn't accidentally remove the bty file instead of the bca file?

If you do as the text says for this electric plant, you should have 2 electric plant files in your Data/BuildingTypes folder in your 1.06 install:

Electric Plant CWC.bca
Electric Plant.bty
Hawk
Cash on Wheels
Conductor

For future reference to anyone else this is what your buildings folder should look like.
CWCEP1.jpg
Your Electricplant.bca goes into the already created 'backup folder' in 1.06
CWCEP2.jpg
when you are done with this scenario just move electricplant CWC.bca to the backup folder and put electicplant.bca back in the buildings folder. Do not touch the .bty files, those are graphic files.Nothing should be deleted or copied!
Last edited by Cash on Wheels on Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
RayofSunshine
CEO

Okay Hawk,
As usual, I guess I screwed up. I find that I do have the E.P.CWA.bca and E.P.bty, but also the the E.P.bca, which is also in the Back up Folder. Evidently I "copied" the E.P.bca to the folder, and did not then delete it from the initial Building folder. **!!!** ^**lylgh Will give that a try. Thanks again, as usual.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I believe I got Ray straightened out. I sent him the necessary default files via email just a few minutes ago.
It seems he got confused with the electric plant and electronic plant files and accidentally, somehow deleted files that he shouldn't have. :mrgreen:
Hawk
RayofSunshine
CEO

Yea, yes to Hawk, he is my guardian angle. :lol:
I found some problems. The 'introduction brief' shows cnn of Den-Leadville by 1944, Glenwood-1947, and GJT by 1940. However, the year end ledger shows them as 1934, 1947, and 1940. Now considering that the start date of the scenario is 1940, the rest is impossible. *!*!*! !hairpull!

I could be wrong about the "default" start date of 1940, as maybe I missed that the date could be changed.

Some what at the loose ends of anything available for hauling between Den and Castle Rock, as I ran an engine between them for a year, without any haul. Doesn't seem possible for the 1940. *!*!*!

Some pretty stiff challenges, considering that there are mountains engulfing Leadville, and cutting off many cities West of DEN, although in reality that is the case. *!*!*!

BUT, it looks like a great scenario for the Tycoon, and I do try the "impossibility" of my talents. ^**lylgh

RayofSunshine
CEO

My playing is far from impressive. Actually, depressing. ^**lylgh Not able to cnn Den to Leadville by 1944.

Tunnel is not financially possible. And the track thru Royal Gourge "chewed" away at revenue rapidly.
Ran 4 Class A1s. DEN to Boulder back to DEN. Den to Castle Rock back to DEN.
CS to PUB then to DEN back to PUB term at CS. PUB to Canon City, to PUB, to Salida, and back to PUB.
Things were operating fairly well, although I had to finally Issue Stocks a couple of times to buy a Maint.Shop
Got booted down the track with only $-48K PNW and $-111K of operating revenue.
BUT, this was better then the initial attempt. ^**lylgh

A great scenario for Tycoons of more talent and aggression. :salute: {,0,}
Cash on Wheels
Conductor

RayofSunshine wrote:My playing is far from impressive. Actually, depressing. ^**lylgh Not able to cnn Den to Leadville by 1944.

Tunnel is not financially possible. And the track thru Royal Gourge "chewed" away at revenue rapidly.
Ran 4 Class A1s. DEN to Boulder back to DEN. Den to Castle Rock back to DEN.
CS to PUB then to DEN back to PUB term at CS. PUB to Canon City, to PUB, to Salida, and back to PUB.
Things were operating fairly well, although I had to finally Issue Stocks a couple of times to buy a Maint.Shop
Got booted down the track with only $-48K PNW and $-111K of operating revenue.
BUT, this was better then the initial attempt. ^**lylgh

A great scenario for Tycoons of more talent and aggression. :salute: {,0,}
*****spoiler post*******

Here's one way that works: Sell off ALL off the stock you own in Colorado Utilities. This should give your player around $710K to start a company. Use $400k of it to start a company. Connect Denver to CR to CS to pueblo. Run ONE train between them Then find some industry to buy. There seems to be more freight north of denver early in the game. Ride that until about DEC 1943. Pause the game and build to Leadville via the royal gorge(yes you can fit some track though there!). Bonds should get you there.
Same for Glennwood springs, focus on east of the rockies until DEC 1946 then build to GW springs.
Same strategy for Grand juction. Also keep your player rich. Dividend$

Remember this is still a beta. There is no punishment for starting in 1937!

Tennessee pass should have a cheap to build tunnel portal. The cheap to build moffet tunnel portal near winter park is for later in the game.

That big boy & challenger will RoR posted above will help also. Because I reduced engine pulling power by 20% in some areas :twisted: anything not named big boy or challenger early in the game will struggle to climb tennessee pass & to Winter Park.
RayofSunshine
CEO

That is very interesting system, which I did not think about RoW,
Although I don't usually use that system of play, but always 1 to give suggestions a try.
So !$th_u$! for the suggestions. !*th_up*!
:salute: {,0,} {,0,}
RayofSunshine
CEO

Some thing different. In my search for a Coffee Farm, or the source of such, I find that the railroad serving the source is that shown as Flura de lure (? spelling). Any way, when I checked to see in the possibility of getting control of that Railroad, there isn't any listing. *!*!*! Is that done on purpose, so as a player cannot either buy their stock or own it? **!!!** Right now I am just running track to it, so as to send "liquor = coffee" supply. Just thought I would ask. :?:
Cash on Wheels
Conductor

RayofSunshine wrote:Some thing different. In my search for a Coffee Farm, or the source of such, I find that the railroad serving the source is that shown as Flura de lure (? spelling). Any way, when I checked to see in the possibility of getting control of that Railroad, there isn't any listing. *!*!*! Is that done on purpose, so as a player cannot either buy their stock or own it? **!!!** Right now I am just running track to it, so as to send "liquor = coffee" supply. Just thought I would ask. :?:
Since Milk left in the sun has a longer life than most of the AI companies in this scenario. U must be trying to buy a liquidated AI track and station. Go to the merge panel.
RulerofRails
CEO

Just a thought, I seem to remember the AI in Oilcan's "Zambu Email" being fairly robust. If you want the AI here to be half-decent, taking a look at that scenario might give you some ideas. I don't remember the details, but there are events for cash etc..
Cash on Wheels
Conductor

RulerofRails wrote:Just a thought, I seem to remember the AI in Oilcan's "Zambu Email" being fairly robust. If you want the AI here to be half-decent, taking a look at that scenario might give you some ideas. I don't remember the details, but there are events for cash etc..
Tried Ocan's Zambu email game. Just like mine, the player is flush with cash to start the game. Which means you can corner the market before the AI get a chance to lay their rails.

The new plan to give the first AI exclusive access to Texas Okla. Second to Nmex.
Then the third or forth can be lamb's for the alter. Soon as Ray post about his troubles around the 1970s recession. OR when he's though with his centuries long rail empire. I will move on. (Anyone whose PNW is not in great standing by the '70s will be in trouble!)

I had to do those cash events with jay cook in madagascar & B triangle. He is one of the AI players that will over extended easily.
RulerofRails
CEO

Cash on Wheels wrote:The player is flush with cash to start the game. Which means you can corner the market before the AI get a chance to lay their rails.
More from curiosity, but what do you mean by "corner the market"? Match the AI chairmen's investment in his own company?