5 China maps, welcome to play

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.06.
zjh19970214
Hobo

5 China maps, welcome to play Unread post

Hi there,
I made 5 China maps, which covers all parts of China. They are all in English language, because the English version RRT3 does not support Chinese letters.
Since I am a Chinese, I know more about the development of China's economy and railroad system. Every player can experience the development, from the events I set. For example, before 1964, you can only use steam engines. Before, 1990, no train has a top speed faster than 80 mph.
I have tested them many times, modified them many times. They are all bug free, error free, and not hard to get gold medal (at least I can).
Although RRT3 is becoming a thing of past, I hope people can still have fun with my maps.

China Northeast
http://www.mediafire.com/file/jnenbe1qt ... t.zip/file
China Northwest
http://www.mediafire.com/file/heexlzw89 ... t.zip/file
China Heartland
http://www.mediafire.com/file/mavy0ovrg ... d.zip/file
Southern China
http://www.mediafire.com/file/1w9kcphqf ... a.zip/file
Trans Qinghai-Tibet Plateau
http://www.mediafire.com/file/lmn44d1p0 ... u.zip/file
ChinaRailwayLogo
http://www.mediafire.com/file/42to6p5t9 ... o.zip/file

I included a readme file in each of the archives.
Last edited by zjh19970214 on Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have been playing RRT3 for 15 years :-D
Gumboots
CEO

Re: 5 China maps, welcome to play Unread post

None of those links seem to work. The other links (in your previous post) still work.
zjh19970214
Hobo

Gumboots wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:37 pm None of those links seem to work. The other links (in your previous post) still work.
my fault. Fixed
Gumboots
CEO

Hey has anyone had a chance to play these yet? I've been too busy with other things. If they're bug-free and play well I'll archive them.

No offence to zjh19970214, but it's always worth getting someone else to check over anything you code. That applies to all of us. ;)
zjh19970214
Hobo

Gumboots wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:43 pm Hey has anyone had a chance to play these yet? I've been too busy with other things. If they're bug-free and play well I'll archive them.

No offence to zjh19970214, but it's always worth getting someone else to check over anything you code. That applies to all of us. ;)
Ok, I understand you. :)
RulerofRails
CEO

Hi zjh19970214,

I finished test-playing all 5 maps. I played them with no bonds and without pause at "Normal game speed." I never built an industry or Hotel and only invested later in the game where there was an Industry profit goal. They are setup for long timespan, so maybe they are supposed to be played without pause?

In general they are solid, no major game-breaking bugs but I have a few notes. I indicated various typos. I didn't keep a full list. I'm happy to do a more complete listing on those (it's possible to pull event text in 1.06's de-bug mode) if you desire to fix them.

China Northeast
There are a couple typos/incorrect grammar in the texts.

China Northwest
Xining CVar1
Applying Pas. Production boost to player company. Should it apply to game?
Or is it intended to boost Hotels only? The player can't own houses.

Possible simple fix
New event, set to one-time-only fire
If CV1=1 Pas. Production 15% applied to whole game

Same deal with Urumqi CVar2
Applying Cargo Production boost to player company

Or is it intended to boost just the industries you own?

China South
A typo in first 5 year plan text
"Procudtion"

Worried about overflow on Industry profits. There is a lot of traffic on the map. I did a no-bonds rail-only start while not using pause and I easily cracked a billion.

Suggested fix: Use a variable to record that industry profit has previously reached the required threshold for a gold medal. For company value targets this is a good idea.

China Heartland
Procudtion spelling again

Events:
Beijing to Shanghai
Zhengzhou to Wuhan
Changsha to Nanchang

Are applying to company instead of game. Is this intentional? Passenger production by company will only help Hotels you build. I didn't build Hotels.

Suggestion: would be nice to have the total of passengers you hauled last year in the ledger. Use an event firing at the end of the year. For the Effect chose a variable then "=" hit "Use Variable", then choose "YTD Company Passenger Loads Hauled." Set variable logic was added as part of 1.06 patch and makes things like this easy.

Tibet Plateau
Spelling: Monks Perl, should that be "Pearl"?
Grammar: missing the word "is" to make phrase "is worth."

This also using Company applied events, including +50% production for passengers.

Could implement overflow protection on Industry Profits here, but it wont be a problem so often since the economy on the map is smaller.
zjh19970214
Hobo

Thanks for spending time testing my scenarios!
Your suggestions are helpful to me. I will take a look of my maps and modify them later.
Most of the effections should be applied to the whole game rather than the player.
Thanks so much!

RulerofRails wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:53 pm Hi zjh19970214,

I finished test-playing all 5 maps. I played them with no bonds and without pause at "Normal game speed." I never built an industry or Hotel and only invested later in the game where there was an Industry profit goal. They are setup for long timespan, so maybe they are supposed to be played without pause?

In general they are solid, no major game-breaking bugs but I have a few notes. I indicated various typos. I didn't keep a full list. I'm happy to do a more complete listing on those (it's possible to pull event text in 1.06's de-bug mode) if you desire to fix them.

China Northeast

China Northwest
Xining CVar1

Possible simple fix

China South
"Procudtion"

Worried about overflow on Industry profits. There is a lot of traffic on the map. I did a no-bonds rail-only start while not using pause and I easily cracked a billion.

Suggested fix: Use a variable to record that industry profit has previously reached the required threshold for a gold medal. For company value targets this is a good idea.

China Heartland

Events:
Beijing to Shanghai
Zhengzhou to Wuhan
Changsha to Nanchang

Are applying to company instead of game. Is this intentional? Passenger production by company will only help Hotels you build. I didn't build Hotels.

Suggestion: would be nice to have the total of passengers you hauled last year in the ledger. Use an event firing at the end of the year. For the Effect chose a variable then "=" hit "Use Variable", then choose "YTD Company Passenger Loads Hauled." Set variable logic was added as part of 1.06 patch and makes things like this easy.

Tibet Plateau

This also using Company applied events, including +50% production for passengers.

Could implement overflow protection on Industry Profits here, but it wont be a problem so often since the economy on the map is smaller.
RulerofRails
CEO

I pulled the text from the maps while in the debug mode. I have also replaced new lines "\n" with a space.

The first page or so, is instructions, they can be ignored. But you can spellcheck the rest in a document editor. Maybe it's helpful?

PS. If you want to play with the debug mode for yourself, should be done at own risk, you might check this: viewtopic.php?p=35984#p35984 Please note that you can't import the text from this zip because I removed "\n" for the sake of spellcheck, but if you get there you can easily export it fresh.

Also, you probably figured it out, but inside the game, the text from any text box will be copied if you hit Ctrl + C. You could edit externally, then to put it back press Ctrl + V. Please note that this is an automatic overwrite, you are wiping all the old text.
Attachments
Text from China maps.zip
(24.62 KiB) Downloaded 232 times
zjh19970214
Hobo

RulerofRails wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:09 am I pulled the text from the maps while in the debug mode. I have also replaced new lines "\n" with a space.

The first page or so, is instructions, they can be ignored. But you can spellcheck the rest in a document editor. Maybe it's helpful?

PS. If you want to play with the debug mode for yourself, should be done at own risk, you might check this: viewtopic.php?p=35984#p35984 Please note that you can't import the text from this zip because I removed "\n" for the sake of spellcheck, but if you get there you can easily export it fresh.

Also, you probably figured it out, but inside the game, the text from any text box will be copied if you hit Ctrl + C. You could edit externally, then to put it back press Ctrl + V. Please note that this is an automatic overwrite, you are wiping all the old text.

Thanks for your help. I followed your suggestions and fixed issues in my maps, and modified some grammer or spelling errors by looking up these text files. Now I have uploaded my maps.

Thanks!
zjh19970214
Hobo

I modified errors/bugs/issues in my maps and uploaded them again.
You can download them now:

China Northeast
http://www.mediafire.com/file/xnmwefuqf ... t.zip/file
China Northwest
http://www.mediafire.com/file/tbc2wtjyj ... t.zip/file
China Heartland
http://www.mediafire.com/file/7zek0gjbe ... d.zip/file
Southern China
http://www.mediafire.com/file/bdhk8ptgt ... a.zip/file
Trans Qinghai-Tibet Plateau
http://www.mediafire.com/file/odoqv7n4a ... u.zip/file
ChinaRailwayLogo
http://www.mediafire.com/file/0rbjhzj4q ... o.zip/file

Thank to RulerofRails and Gumboots!
zjh19970214
Hobo

I played them in the same style as you did. Yes you are right, I want players to play them without pause at "Normal game speed", and focus on building tracks.

I did the following modifications:

China Northeast
Modified some typos.

China Northwest
Pas. Production boost should be applied to the whole game. I modified it by creating a new event.
I also changed similar issues in other events. Thanks!

China South
Some typos are modified.
I changed the goal of Industry profits from LTD to YTD. So that there will be no overflow.
And I added one line on the ledge to show the industry profits of last year.

China Heartland
I modified the effects of these events.
I also added one line on the ledge to show the total of passengers you hauled last year. Thanks for your suggestions!

Tibet Plateau
I modified some typos and event effects.
Besides, I deleted the industry profits goal for Gold.

I modified some typos in all these five maps, though some of the grammar errors may still exist, I am sorry about my English.
Thanks for your help.

RulerofRails wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:53 pm Hi zjh19970214,

China Northeast

China Northwest
Xining CVar1

Possible simple fix

China South
"Procudtion"

China Heartland

Events:
Beijing to Shanghai
Zhengzhou to Wuhan
Changsha to Nanchang

Tibet Plateau

zjh19970214
Hobo

Gumboots wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:43 pm Hey has anyone had a chance to play these yet? I've been too busy with other things. If they're bug-free and play well I'll archive them.

Hi Gumboot,

I followed suggestions from RulerofRails, modified my maps and uploaded them again. You can check them out and archive them if they looks great. Thank you!
Gumboots
CEO

Yes, sorry about that. I have been a bit slack. I'll get onto it this week. :)
Gumboots
CEO

Ok, am getting on to this. It's been so long since I did new archives for maps that I'll have to refresh my memory as I go, but I'll get there. :)
zjh19970214
Hobo

Gumboots wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:23 pm Ok, am getting on to this. It's been so long since I did new archives for maps that I'll have to refresh my memory as I go, but I'll get there. :)

Sounds good. Thank you!
Gumboots
CEO

Turns out that when my old computer died just after Christmas, I somehow lost 1.06. So I'll have to set up a new installation of 1.06, with all the default locomotives, before I can do the necessary screenshots for these maps. I suppose I should have one anyway, since it will be handy for this sort of thing.

Yesterday I got sidetracked into taking complete backups of the website and forum. Will look at making a new 1.06 over the weekend.
Gumboots
CEO

Ok Got them archived. Sorry for the delay.
Maps are here: http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/map_arch/rt3_asia.htm
China Railway logo is here: http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/Xtras/Logos.htm
zjh19970214
Hobo

Gumboots wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:56 pm Ok Got them archived. Sorry for the delay.
Maps are here: http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/map_arch/rt3_asia.htm
China Railway logo is here: http://hawkdawg.com/rrt/rrt3/Xtras/Logos.htm

That's wonderful! Thanks for your hard work. I love this forum, love RRT3, forever.
Sugus
Engineer

I played China Heartland on normal and as you can see in
CH11a.jpg
I only got the Silver medal. In my oppinion the goal to reach 1000000 loads of passengers is both too hard and too dominant, so that the remaining win conditions shrink to peanuts. No offence, but it's not really interesting to only start passenger train after passenger train for 30 or more years. (Connections and miles of track are done within 30 years.)

The yearly status (ledger) should show the TOTAL loads of iron and coal, not (only) the success of the last year.

Finally, I'm not at all a friend of train crashes - ever seen a burning locomotivve? - and earth quakes. Nevertheless, I'll have a look to the other maps in the next weeks.

Anyway - good to have these five additional Maps! :salute:
There's no business like RT business ...
zjh19970214
Hobo

Sugus wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:51 am I played China Heartland on normal and as you can see in

CH11a.jpg

I only got the Silver medal. In my oppinion the goal to reach 1000000 loads of passengers is both too hard and too dominant, so that the remaining win conditions shrink to peanuts. No offence, but it's not really interesting to only start passenger train after passenger train for 30 or more years. (Connections and miles of track are done within 30 years.)

The yearly status (ledger) should show the TOTAL loads of iron and coal, not (only) the success of the last year.

Finally, I'm not at all a friend of train crashes - ever seen a burning locomotivve? - and earth quakes. Nevertheless, I'll have a look to the other maps in the next weeks.

Anyway - good to have these five additional Maps! :salute:
Hello,

Thanks for your advice.

The goal is 100,000 loads of passengers, not 1000,000. So you are very close. I played it on "expert" level, and got the gold medal in 1998. However, people have different ways to play the game, that's true. :-D I'm a little bit crazy, since I have 320 trains running in this map :-D
In this way, even if I did not make any change on the trains' cargo (In other words, all trains are transporting all kinds of load, there is no train which can only haul passengers) , I still got the medal. You can try again :-D Or just change this goal from the map editor.

You say "The yearly status", did you mean the ledger in your pic? It is showing the total loads of iron and coal.

Finally, unfortunately, you will meet more train crashes in map "China Northwest" (because the distances between cities are very long in this large map), and more earthquakes in map "Trans Qinghai-Tibet Plateau" (It's true that Tibet and Sichuan always have earthquakes).
I have to admit that these five maps are hard to get the gold medal, but should be easy to get the bronze or silver.
I want to make them more challenging :-D