Password Change!

News and announcements about the website and forum.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Password Change! Unread post

Due to the incredible rash of spammers trying to register to the forum the past few days (not just this forum as it seems to be all forums according to what I've read at the phpBB Community Forums), I strongly recommend that everyone change their password.

I've change the password requirements to a little stronger settings to help fight the possibility of these spammers trying to do a brute force hack of users passwords, especially if you use the same password in more than one place.

I highly recommend a password of at least 6 characters (a minimum of 8 would be better) including upper and lower case letters as well as numbers.

Not only will this help protect you, it will also help protect the forum.

I've been bombarded with upwards of 50 registration attempts by spammers just in the past two days. I have made some changes to the registration settings that seems to have slowed down these attempts quite a bit, but I still recommend changing your password.
Hawk
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Re: Password Change! Unread post

How does one do this? I looked at the User Control Panel and couldn't figure it out.
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

OK, I found it. It's in User Control Panel -> Profile tab -> Edit Account Settings
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Glad you found it, and thanks! :salute:
Hawk
BikerTim
Brakeman

Did it! Thanks for the warning!
Life is not fair, but it is still good.
RayofSunshine
CEO

Thanks MSU,
To figure out the process. We dummies have to be "shown", even if we are not from Missouri. LOL
Hackers are a problem, and a few of my "computer pals" have had the experience of a virus. For myself, I don't get as many as Hawk, but a dozen a day. Reporting them as "spam" doesn't slow them down very much, *!*!*!
But !$th_u$! both for both the warning as well as the "process". :salute:
kriss
Hobo

V Bulletin has a facility for putting all new users on post moderation until their first post is approved, don't know if you have anything like that available to you Hawk but it's certainly useful on another site I mod on where we had a rash of spambots.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Yep! I have that available and set up. All new members first post has to be approved by me. ;-)
Hawk