Railroad Tycoon 2: Platinum past XP

General discussion about Railroad Tycoon II.
tycoonk4

Railroad Tycoon 2: Platinum past XP Unread post

Hi, New guy.

I am just wondering-will Railroad Tycoon 2: Platinum work past XP such as Windows Vista and 7?
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: Railroad Tycoon 2: Platinum past XP Unread post

It should, according to this thread at The Terminal.

http://forum.dune2k.com/topic/22868-rt2-on-vista/
Hawk
tycoonk4

Oh,thanks. But I plan on upgrading to 7.
Blackhawk
CEO

I don't have windows 7 but I've been able to play RT2 Platinum on Vista 32bit with no problems.
Silverback
Watchman

I Play RTII on 7 (I use 32 bit 7 ultimate) but don't see why 64bit wont work. Install as administrator and apply the latest (1.56?) patch if you can. you may get permissions issues overwriting some files with the patch but I can't remember if I did or not.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Silverback wrote:you may get permissions issues overwriting some files with the patch but I can't remember if I did or not.
Wouldn't that depend on whether or not you install RT2 in the default directory?

In other words, if you install in the default directory, or to put it simply - the Program Files directory - you will get problems patching because Microsoft decided, in their infinite wisdom?, that you can't do what you want with files in the Program Files directory.

If you install RT2 in a different directory, say - C:\Railroad Tycoon 2 - you shouldn't have that problem and might possibly avoid other problems, such as with finding saved games and such.
Hawk
Blackhawk
CEO

I don't think just moving the game out of the program files folder saves you from all the permission issues. (I didn't really have any with getting RT2 to work, i may have been asked are you sure you want to do this and you must run it as an administrator but other than that it worked fine)

The permission issues comes from the UAC (User account control) in vista and win7. It's particularly annoying in Vista as they pop up for relatively minor things. So if a .exe file is being replaced or patched, the UAC would ask you are you sure you want to do this and it must be done as an administrator. Even if it's not installed in the program files folder.

I've heard the UAC has been toned down in Win7 though so maybe win7 doesn't act like that. Technically in vista you can turn off the UAC but MS recommends against doing that.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

From what I've read, in Win 7, installing programs outside of the Program Files directory eliminates all that UAC stuff.
That's what is one of the suggestions for installing MSTS on a Win 7 system, according to posts I've read over at TrainSim.com.

Granted, I don't think that applies to Vista, but like you said, they toned down that UAC garbage in Win 7 and I'm pretty sure it only applies to the Program Files directory now.
Hawk
Blackhawk
CEO

That's good information to know for the eventual day I may have to upgrade to win7. It does seem sort of arbitrary for MS to think a program/game installed in the program files folder is more important than a program/game installed elsewhere, but I guess that's what we can expect from MS these days.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

MS got so many complaints about that UAC junk in Vista they decided to tone it down a bit in Win7 (they actually listened to users?) and gave users more options on how it works. It's my understanding that in Win7 you can even turn it off, plus there's a fourth setting in Win7 that allows the user to leave it active but not as intrusive and controlling.

Bear in mind, my comments are based only on what I've read. I still use XP, and will for as long as possible.
Hawk
KenRuof
Hobo

I have win 7 x64, I have RRT2, RRT3 all flavors and they run fine. Yes the graphics on RRT3+ is a little off but I have no other problems with them. I started in the MSDOS days and since day one of computer gaming I have never installed a game in the dos / windows related folders, it avoids much problems.

Ken