Refreshing my memory

General discussion about Railroad Tycoon II.
LWVRR1964

Refreshing my memory Unread post

Howdy folks, I've been playing some RRT2 and I need to refresh my memory one a few things.

I've been trying to create a RRT2 map from a grey scale map. I done this so many times before. For some reason I can't get it to work. I've tried different file types and when I try to create the map the game crashes.
Can somebody refresh my memory and tell me the basics on creating a map in RRT2?

Also here is something else I was wondering. Has anybody ever been able to add logos to RRT2?
Gwizz
CEO

Unread post

It has been a long time since I converted from a grayscale map. I can't remember by doing this I would create a crash.

Sometime I created a crash when I covered up part of a farm with water. Sometimes this works to reduce the size of a farm and sometimes I got a crash.
LWVRR1964

Unread post

This was a grey scale map I used for RRT3. I've added maps to RRT2 before with no problem. So I really don't know if it's the map giving me the problem or am I forgetting something in the process.

I tried resizing the map to different sizes. I tried different file types ie: pcx, jpeg, and tga and even bmp. I get different errors for each type.

I'm a little lost on this one!
Gwizz
CEO

Unread post

Do the maps just throw errrors at you or do they crash the map.

What have you done so far to either map.

I'll down load a gray scale map and see what RT2 does to it.
Gwizz
CEO

Unread post

I guess I forgot how to convert a grayscale map.

It could be the new map technology being used causing this problem.

You might try a topo map or sites like the following.

http://nationalmap.gov/gio/viewonline.html

http://topomaps.usgs.gov/
bombardiere
Dispatcher

Unread post

This was a grey scale map I used for RRT3. I've added maps to RRT2 before with no problem. So I really don't know if it's the map giving me the problem or am I forgetting something in the process.
It has been a very long time since I have do anything with RRT2, so I have forgotten most. However, I do remember that RRT3 used different type of grey scale maps. The RRT2 map really had to be a grey scale map. (black was the ocean and white the highest peak?) I can't remeber exact details, but it can't accept colours like RRT3.
LWVRR1964

Unread post

The map I'm using dosen't have and ocean so I'm ok with that. I think I'll try a different map and see what happends. Here are the errors I got.

PCX-I would get an "Error reading PCX Map" then the game would close down.

JPEG-This would have the same error, but the error message would be in a white box, then I would get a MS error message.

TGA-Here the map would load and it would let me set the height range, after that the game would crash with a MS error message.

Something tells me that I'm missing a very basic step...just can't figure out what it is.
Gwizz
CEO

Unread post

Taken from manuel and shortened.

Use only an indexed grayscale image. nothing else will work.
Convert other images in an image editor before using.

RT2 imports black as low and white as high. Edit image if different.

In editor

1. Click select new map.
2. Set width and height to match map as if from scratch.
3. But, click from image. (File import box will appear)
4. It will show sample file (Example.pcx) or type path to it and chick OK.
5. See dialog to set height scale of imported image.
6. 100 is average. a smaller number give a flater map.
7. Pick and edit the map.
LWVRR1964

Unread post

Thanks, my only question now is... what is 'indexed' grayscale image?
Gwizz
CEO

Unread post

In a grayscale image, each point is represented by a brightness value, ranging from 0 (black) to 255 (white), with intermediate values representing different levels of gray.

Indexed images, is a bit more complicated to understand. In an indexed image, only a limited set of discrete colors are used, usually 256 or less. These colors form the “colormap” of the image, and each point in the image is assigned a color from the colormap. Indexed images have the advantage that they can be represented inside a computer in a way which consumes relatively little memory, and back in the dark ages (say, ten years ago), they were very commonly used. As time goes on, they are used less and less, but they are still important enough to be worth supporting in GIMP. (Also, there are a few important kinds of image manipulation that are easier to implement with indexed images than with continuous-color RGB images.)

Some very commonly used types of files (including GIF and PNG) produce indexed images when they are opened in GIMP. Many of GIMP's tools don't work very well on indexed images–and many filters don't work at all–because of the limited number of colors available. Because of this, it is usually best to convert an image to RGB mode before working on it. If necessary, you can convert it back to indexed mode when you are ready to save it

GIMP makes it easy to convert from one image type to another, using the Mode command in the Image menu. Some types of conversions, of course (RGB to grayscale or indexed, for example) lose information that cannot be regained by converting back in the other direction.

Taken from http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-images-in.html

Here is a free Image Editor http://www.irfanview.com
I have not used it for grayscale, but it should work.