Hello and Station Penalties

General discussion about Railroad Tycoon II.
Sawdust

Hello and Station Penalties Unread post

Hi all. I just joined the forums here. I dusted off my old copy of RRT2 Platinum the other day to play a bit. RRT2 still seems to be the best railroad game around even though it's like 8 years old!

I have a question about the effects of warehouses, post offices, and similar station add-ons. The game says that these buildings reduce the wait time penalty for certain cargo types. What does this mean exactly? Does it make cargo less likely to disappear if it hasn't been picked up in a while...or do they affect the price for which the cargo will ultimately sell?
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

If you look in the main Railroad Tycoon folder in Windows Explorer you should see a file called Strategy Guide.html. Open that and jump down to Chapter 5.1 and that will better explain the station add-ons than I could in a small space such as a post. :wink:

Of course that file may or may not be available, depending on which version you have installed. I have the Platinum version.
Hawk
Sawdust

Unread post

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know (or had long forgotten :-)) that that Strategy Guide was there.
The definition of "reduction in pickup delay penalties" was explained very well:
"The fourth upgrade category holds those structures that reduce the penalty for delays in freight pickup. This does not mean that the revenue you receive is affected at all. Instead, the amount available to deliver is increased. When cargo is ready for pickup, it slowly degrades. Overtime, that cargo will dwindle and be lost. These upgrades reduce the rate at which this happens for resources that would otherwise quickly decay and should be placed in the station that is collecting the materials."
This is the purpose of the five add-ons: Post Office, Warehouse, Grain Silo, Refrigerated Storage, and Liquid Storage.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

Glad to be of help. :D
Hawk
jeffryfisher
Hobo

Re: Hello and Station Penalties Unread post

In my modded version of RT2 platinum, large hotels preserve passengers, and ice houses (refrigerated storage) also preserves food.

My March 2012 mod can be found in the zip file with my "US History" map.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: Hello and Station Penalties Unread post

Another thread that's almost 4 1/2 years old and Sawdust isn't even a member here anymore. ;-)
Hawk