Did you give your childern an odd or funny name?

Discussion of anything, within reason (no politics or religion, please).
thegrindre
Engineer

Did you give your childern an odd or funny name? Unread post

I thought this was rather interesting... It's a news blurb from Yahoo news. There's no killing, blood or guts in this one. LOL

Judge: "Girl's name, Talula Does The Hula, won't do!"

WELLINGTON, New Zealand - A family court judge in New Zealand has had enough with parents giving their children bizarre names here, and did something about it.

Just ask, Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii. He had her renamed.

Judge Rob Murfitt made the 9-year-old girl a ward of the court so that her name could be changed, he said in a ruling made public Thursday. The girl was involved in a custody battle, he said.

The new name was not made public to protect the girl's privacy.

"The court is profoundly concerned about the very poor judgment which this child's parents have shown in choosing this name," he wrote. "It makes a fool of the child and sets her up with a social disability and handicap, unnecessarily."

The girl had been so embarrassed at the name that she had never told her closest friends what it was. She told people to call her "K" instead, the girl's lawyer, Colleen MacLeod, told the court.

In his ruling, Murfitt cited a list of the unfortunate names.

Registration officials blocked some names, including Fish and Chips, Yeah Detroit, Keenan Got Lucy and Sex Fruit, he said. But others were allowed, including Number 16 Bus Shelter "and tragically, Violence," he said.

New Zealand law does not allow names that would cause offense to a reasonable person, among other conditions, said Brian Clarke, the registrar general of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

Clarke said officials usually talked to parents who proposed unusual names to convince them about the potential for embarrassment.

(0!!0)
a.k.a. Rick

At my age, 'Happy Hour' is a nap...
KevinL
Dispatcher

Re: Did you give your childern an odd or funny name? Unread post

This goes along with the parents today having very little responsiblity for their actions. Its always someone elses fault. Why is it only the stupid ones are breeding? **!!!**
Computer: 3.2GHz i3, 6.0GB Ram, 1.5TB HD, Win7, RRT3:1.06, SMRR:1.10
Currently playing: RRT3 - Campaign Scenerios
Currently creating: RRT3 - Southwest scenerio
proudcanadian
Conductor

The only thing I wonder about all this is, What are these parents thinking?! Who in their right mind would name their child Number 16 Bus Shelter? Then again, what court allowed that name to be passed? As the article says, children with those kind of names would be confined to a life of social humiliation. It's just not right.
There is honestly something wrong with people today...
I don't drive a dogsled to work, I don't live in an igloo, and we're the SECOND LARGEST COUNTRY ON EARTH!!!
AZ Rail Rat
Dispatcher

While watching the IRL (Indy Race League) this weekend, I asked my son (30) if his last name was "Power", would he name his son "Will" . . .

"Of course." he replied.

I then asked, if his last name was "Head", I suppose he would name his son "Richard" . . .

"Yep" ^**lylgh ^**lylgh ^**lylgh
Ferroequines UNITE!!!

http://azrailrat.com/
Hawk
The Big Dawg

True story----When my brother-in-law and his wife had their first son, he wanted to name him Gan. Strange? His last name is Green. His wife flat out refused. So they settled on Don, and his middle name is Wann. :roll:
Hawk
thegrindre
Engineer

'Nother true story: Back when I was in school there was a girl who's last name was Pebbles.... Yup, they named her Sandy. **!!!**

(0!!0)
a.k.a. Rick

At my age, 'Happy Hour' is a nap...
wsherrick
Engineer

So I guess you don't think,"Ovaria," would be a good name for a girl, then.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

wsherrick wrote:So I guess you don't think,"Ovaria," would be a good name for a girl, then.
Not unless she was bred for the sole purpose of proliferating. ^**lylgh
Hawk
ostlandr
Brakeman

One of the children delivered by the same doctor who delivered my daughter is named Female (pronounced "Fehm-ah-lay".) The mother hadn't picked a name by the time she left the hospital, so the birth certificate said "Female" and the mother's last name. The mother thought it a nice name, and "kind of African sounding", so she kept it. :roll:

One wonders if by this time the child has a brother Male (pronounced "Mah-lay").

Of course, our own daughter was almost named Angharad. . .

http://www.thinkbabynames.com/search.ph ... s=Angharad

But we decided that a name that odd was one strike against the kid to start out with.

And then it was almost Morgan (after the Morrigan, celtic goddess of war and passion) but when she was born with blonde hair, blue eyes and fair skin, we settled on Erica.

True story- 100% true. One of the old family names where I grew up is Hunt. One family, good church-going folks, named their firstborn son after the archangel Michael. (You see where this is going, don't you?) Anyway, one night when he was in his 20s or so, his parents were involved in a fairly serious automobile accident. Mike was having a few beers at his favorite tavern when the State Police called to try to get him to come to the hospital. Just to make matters worse, nobody called him by his given name, but by his nickname- "meatball" (sort of a combo of "meathead" and "goofball", and it fit. . .)
Needless to say, the barmaid kept hanging up on the police dispatcher. :lol:
To make a long story no more painful, a trooper had to respond to the tavern, walk in, and say (I kid you not) "Is Mike Hunt here?"
FYI the parents survived with just some bruises and a few broken bones.

I also used to work with a gentleman named Richard Harder, and yes, his nickname was Dick. No, the thought never occured to his parents when they named him.
Watch this space for Equus Ferrius Corporation's website! Soon to build biomass fueled steam locomotives, and lease a short line. We're going for it!
djf01
Watchman

I went to school with a kid with the innocuous first name Sean. But his last name was Lamb.
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

When my dad was doing an OB/Gyn rotation during his medical training at Detroit Receiving hospital, a woman didn't know what to name her baby, and another intern suggested naming the boy "Flatus", adding that it was from the Latin, meaning "to be heard from".
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I wonder if he followed in the infamous Le Pétomane's footsteps? :mrgreen:
Hawk
KevinL
Dispatcher

Have we all heard the joke about the brother who named his sister's kids "Denise" and "Denephew" ?
Computer: 3.2GHz i3, 6.0GB Ram, 1.5TB HD, Win7, RRT3:1.06, SMRR:1.10
Currently playing: RRT3 - Campaign Scenerios
Currently creating: RRT3 - Southwest scenerio
Grandma Ruth
CEO

We have now! :lol:
"I will not take 'but' for an answer" - Langston Hughes
Knave
Conductor

We actually spent a lot of time and put forth effort in naming our kids. We didn't want them to have names that rhymed with body parts or bodily functions. And there were a few other considerations as well. Nick names were different. I found myself referring to my Daughter as Pumpkin. Or Stinky. Or Princess. She liked Princess. Her wedding gown came in. She was in the parking lot while she looked at it when she called her Mom. "Mom" she said, "I feel just like a real Princess"
Never, Never, Never give up. Winston Churchill
WPandP
Engineer

ostlandr wrote:Of course, our own daughter was almost named Angharad. . .
I've just been reading "Scarlet" by Stephen R. Lawhead, book two of his take on Robin Hood (or "Rhi Bran y Hud" as he writes), and one of his main characters is Angharad! I like it that you thought of going back to some celtic roots that way, even if you didn't actually go through with it.

Personally, I like the name "Ian" a lot, though I am single and have no kids.
=Winchester, Paston & Portsmouth=
====== We Provide Pride! ======
canis39
Brakeman

I actually work with a guy named Michael Hunt...and yep, he goes by Mike.
like fantasy football? check out Goal Line Blitz! http://goallineblitz.com/game/signup.pl?ref=28815200'
visit my mini city: http://salt-rock.myminicity.com/
Gwizz
CEO

I had a boss with the last name of Strain.

You can guess the first name his parents gave him.
As a kid he must have been continually ribbed.
I often felt his ugly personality was caused by his name.
He was the worst boss I ever had.
Braindead6
Brakeman
Location: Northern Middle Tennessee (within spittin' distance of Kentucky)

I then asked, if his last name was "Head", I suppose he would name his son "Richard" . . .
Actually I know a man named Richard Head.

Most of you who follow women's college basketball will know his daughter's name.
Pat Summitt!

Jim
I never worry about what other people do. I have enough trouble remembering what I already did