So how bad is Vista?

Discussion of anything, within reason (no politics or religion, please).
coruscate
Dispatcher

So how bad is Vista? Unread post

Well last week I was saving a RTII map file into the right folder, but vista autopicked "mpeg" for a "mp2" file, before I noticed I had already hit save. Since I wasn't saving over anything no biggie right? Well guess what, Vista had hidden the file from me, but RT2 saw it and crashed when booting... except when I started as admin.

I figured I wouldn't care once I got RT3. Well earlier this evening I was editing my San Diego County map (mostly done by the way, in 24 hours) and added some maps from this site. Had the window open, editing my map more, closed the game... and then Vista hides my own map from me. Yet I can still see the ones I downloaded. I reboot RT3, my map is still there. I can even restart my comptuer and still can play my own level. It's just hiding it from me so I have no clue when I will be able to share it @_@

I have Windows Live One Care... the question is, will tech support listen or will they ultimately just wring their hands and just blame me or the software? We shall see.

But yes, I've been with Windows since 3.1.

Vista is bad juju.

Avoid it like STDs, so wear gloves if you touch a computer that has it!
thegrindre
Engineer

Re: So how bad is Vista? Unread post

This pretty much sums it all up in a nut shell...

http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h87/P ... asucks.flv

(0!!0)
a.k.a. Rick

At my age, 'Happy Hour' is a nap...
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

thegrindre wrote:This pretty much sums it all up in a nut shell...

http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h87/P ... asucks.flv

(0!!0)
^**lylgh ^**lylgh ^**lylgh ^**lylgh ^**lylgh ^**lylgh ^**lylgh ^**lylgh ^**lylgh ^**lylgh ^**lylgh etc.
Penn Minuteman
Hobo

Been with windows ever since my old amiga 600. One i am forced to take Vista or nothing. I will be moving to linux forever.

Sorry it happened to you. Hope you can find that file. Though knowing Vista it probably hid it in a vista root directory and sent a secret download to microsoft claiming it is an illegal hack.
Penn Minuteman
Hobo

thegrindre

ROFLMAO!!! thank you! I haven't laughed that hard in a long time! Got tears running down my cheeks!

Owe you one for that laugh.

Penn MM
ostlandr
Brakeman

What you have run into is file virtualization. I don't really understand it myself, but the idea is that any time you try to save to a folder in Program Files, Vista puts it somewhere safe where it won't get lost. In theory, if there are several users on a Vista machine, you will only be able to see your own savegames, custom maps, etc. I will try to look up the fix and post again here, but it has to do with telling Vista to show hidden files or some such in the folder.
Look for a folder in Documents instead of Program Files called RRT2 (or whichever program you're using) and they may be there also.
Good luck. You're gonna need it.
Watch this space for Equus Ferrius Corporation's website! Soon to build biomass fueled steam locomotives, and lease a short line. We're going for it!
coruscate
Dispatcher

The upside is that I can now make and share my maps for sure, at least I hope. I found a quicker path to making height maps, so perhaps after I finish some other obligations I can make some more, not sure what I'll do after two areas that I'm interested in, so maybe I'll take a request after that.
canis39
Brakeman

This is a good example of why, when purchasing my new computer last year, I ordered from a company that did NOT require me to get Vista (Cyberpower).

Good luck!
like fantasy football? check out Goal Line Blitz! http://goallineblitz.com/game/signup.pl?ref=28815200'
visit my mini city: http://salt-rock.myminicity.com/