Dumb Tourists

Discussion of anything, within reason (no politics or religion, please).
proudcanadian
Conductor

Dumb Tourists Unread post

I really don't know why I'm posting this now, but it's a funny little anecdote that occured a few years ago when me and my family were visiting Mackinac Island, Michigan. Here goes...

As I said before, a few years ago, we were on Mackinac Island, which is a great place to visit if any of you ever get to this side of the continent (or the world for that matter). There's a lot of history there, including a fort dating from the late 1700s, and it really makes it come alive in the fact that no cars have been allowed on the island since 1905, and the only ways to get around are by walking, biking, or taking horse drawn carriages. Not to mention the fudge there is the best I've ever tasted. ;-)

Now back to the story. We took along our bikes and went to the far side of the island, then up a road that was built on the path that the British army took when the British took over the island during the War of 1812. Eventually, the road passed by the site of a battle in which American forces attempted to take back the island in 1814, but were driven back. On the site of the battle, there is a Michigan historic plaque that describes the battle. We stopped for a moment to read it. Another group of people had stopped as well, and were also reading it.

Now before I go on, I will describe what was surrounding the plaque. It stood in a small clearing by the side of the road, which was probably only about 20 feet across, and cut 10 feet into the bush surrounding it, back from the road. There were also two park benches beside it.

Eventually, the other group stopped reading, and one of them remarked, and I kid you not, "Well that looks pretty small to be a battlefield, don't you think?"
And then, the other responded, "Well you've gotta remember, people was a lot smaller back then." !*00*! ^**lylgh ^**lylgh
I don't drive a dogsled to work, I don't live in an igloo, and we're the SECOND LARGEST COUNTRY ON EARTH!!!
Gwizz
CEO

Re: Dumb Tourists Unread post

My story isn't funny just interesting.

Your small people comment reminded me of this.

We visited Sargas (sp) in New York State. (I think or close by) This was the site of the first foundry in the US colonies. The park ranger was a very short gal who walked very tall and said so. She barely fit under the floor beams overhead. She said her height helped her get her job. She showed us a hammer with a long handle (about 8 feet long) and asked us if anyone wanted to pick it up and hit the anvil like the Irish forgers used to do.

A brutally muscled young man in his mid 20s volunteered. He picked it up and the park ranger said no. Pick it up at the end of the handle. She said it would be too hot to hold it that close to the hot metal. Well, he gave it a try and was Barely unable to pick it up with both hands. She said no one hand. If you were a metal worked here, you would be holding tongs in the other hand which gripped a hot chunk of metal. The workers did wear leathers where the tongs slipped into pockets that could twist so the hot metal could be turned with the tongs. The young man put the hammer down without trying to hit the anvil.

The mill was water powered and some of the very heavy work was done with one of the 3 water wheels.

She said these guys were super strong. No one gave then a bad time. Every one knew who they were, because one arm that held the hammer was always three times larger then the other. The tallest worker was less than 5 feet, which was the height of the Floor beams. The beams were huge in cross section and close together.

Because of the heat the mill ran only in the winter time. In the summer they cut wood and piled it in round piles. These piles were plastered with mud with a small hole at the bottom and one on top. A fire was started and the holes closed with mud. The piles would smolder for a month or two. This turned the wood into charcoal. When winter started these piles would be opened and the charcoal used to heat the iron ore. The oven was loaded with layers of charcoal, iron, lime stone (I think) and continue for a number of layers. When the iron had melted the clay plug was knock loose at the bottom and the iron ran out into channels dug on the ground. Chunks of these channels were picked up by 2 workmen and squared up under the hammer on the big water wheel. A slitted hammer on another water wheel cut the pieces into chunks that the individual forger to handle. I forget what the third water wheel was used for. barges hauled the finished products away. (mostly iron bars to make tires for wooden wagon wheels) The other water wheel may have been used to make square nails and rivets. It had not been restored yet when I visited a long time ago.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

proudcanadian wrote:Eventually, the other group stopped reading, and one of them remarked, and I kid you not, "Well that looks pretty small to be a battlefield, don't you think?"
And then, the other responded, "Well you've gotta remember, people was a lot smaller back then." !*00*! ^**lylgh ^**lylgh
Would I be guessing correctly that those folks were under 30 years old?
Hawk
Canadian Viking
Brakeman

In my youth I worked several summers at a gondola that carried tourists to the top of Sulpher Mountain in Banff National Park. One lady, enjoying the mountain top view, was looking at the higher Sundance Range to the west and asked, "Is that real snow over there?" **!!!**

Uhh, no ma'am. The park wardens sprinkle powdered sugar on the mountain tops so they will look better in your photos! ^**lylgh ^**lylgh ^**lylgh

Actually, I told her that yes, it was real snow. But we workers had fun in the staff room later thinking up more creative responses!

Another worker told me that a tourist asked him, "How much do those mountains weigh?" The worker asked if the tourist would like to know the weight with, or without, the trees included!! ^**lylgh ^**lylgh
proudcanadian
Conductor

Hawk wrote:
proudcanadian wrote:Eventually, the other group stopped reading, and one of them remarked, and I kid you not, "Well that looks pretty small to be a battlefield, don't you think?"
Would I be guessing correctly that those folks were under 30 years old?
To answer your question, Hawk, I'm not quite sure, but I'm assuming they were in their early 30's or late 20's.
I don't drive a dogsled to work, I don't live in an igloo, and we're the SECOND LARGEST COUNTRY ON EARTH!!!
EPH
Dispatcher

My favorite button:

"If it's tourist season,
Why can't we shoot them?"
The optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true." - James Branch Cabell