Recruiting for real-world rail project

Discussion of anything, within reason (no politics or religion, please).
ostlandr
Brakeman

Recruiting for real-world rail project Unread post

Hey Gang!

I now have a team together to tackle a real-world project. A group of us- in this economy- are going to try to start up a company. The two initial projects are to design and build a prototype biomass fueled modern steam locomotive using some cutting-edge technology, and to try for an operating lease on a short line. Yeah, either one is crazy, and trying both at once is doubly crazy, but we intend to hedge our bets. If one project hits the wall, we throw all our resources at the other.

We're looking for other folks who are crazy enough to try this. *!*!*!

Here are the requirements:

Be a railroad nut, but not a "foamer".

Be able to start with iron ore and trees and produce a working steam locomotive from scratch, or at least be able to describe exactly how you would go about it.

Understand the KISS principle, Murphy's Law, the Law of Unintended Consequences, and TANSTAAFL.

Be able and willing to do actual physical work, up to and including laying track by hand.

Be financially secure enough to work on this project nights and weekends for no pay, kicking in some cash for startup expenses, until it takes off or goes bust. If it takes off, you will be on board as a part owner.

Be able to travel to the Albany/Schenectady/Troy, NY area regularly at your own expense. We will try to do as much business electronically online as possible, especially before the physical work starts.

Preferred but not required:

Know who John Galt is.

Computer skills helpful but not required.

Useful skill sets such as real-world railroad experience, welding, machining (CAD/CAM?), mechanics or a PE after your name are always good.

FYI, right now this is just an idea, a few sketches, a draft business plan, and four certified lunatics. If you're crazy enough to follow us into this nightmare, most likely losing every minute of work and every cent you put into this, drop me a line at ostlandr@earthlink.net and send a resume along (Word is fine, RTF or plain text are fine also.) It may be a month before you hear back, but once this train gets rolling we will be on tight deadlines

NOTE: We are NOT, repeat NOT, looking for investors at this time. In fact, SEC rules will probably limit investors to "Angels"- people who can prove they can easily afford to lose every penny they put in and not miss it. We do expect to go public eventually.

!$th_u$!
Watch this space for Equus Ferrius Corporation's website! Soon to build biomass fueled steam locomotives, and lease a short line. We're going for it!
WPandP
Engineer

Re: Recruiting for real-world rail project Unread post

Who is John Galt?

!*th_up*!

Yay! I got to be the first one to say that.

This sounds exciting, I hope you'll keep us informed. Unfortunately, I don't meet your qualifications - I can't drive to your neck of NY from Cincinnati, and I'm allergic to physical labor.
=Winchester, Paston & Portsmouth=
====== We Provide Pride! ======
JFMarvelous
Watchman

Have you read "Atlas Shrugged"(1943?) by Ayn Rand
coruscate
Dispatcher

I did.

Just don't name it the John Galt line and we're all good 8p
ostlandr
Brakeman

Unfortunately, there's no Hank Reardon around when I need him. That low cost, high strength alloy of his would be just the ticket.
coruscate wrote:I did.

Just don't name it the John Galt line and we're all good 8p
Watch this space for Equus Ferrius Corporation's website! Soon to build biomass fueled steam locomotives, and lease a short line. We're going for it!