Movie trains

Discussion of anything, within reason (no politics or religion, please).
Eb Zane
Watchman

Movie trains Unread post

Can anyone here provide the train type useed in the James Stewart movie "Night Passage"? It was one with Audie Murphy and the songs "Follow the River" and "You Can't Get Far Without a Railroad"

Thanks
EZ
AZ Rail Rat
Dispatcher

Unread post

Real hard to tell wheel arrangement from the DVD cover. I don't think it's a Consolidation, Atlantic or Pacific, but is somewhere along that time frame. Got any screen shots from the DVD?

Looks like it might be the same engine or type used in "Emperor of the North".
AZ Rail Rat
Dispatcher

Unread post

Emperor train was a Mikado, so don't think it was that.

Hey, check this out. :shock: Almost everything you wanted to know about trains in the movies. I say almost, because the two trains talked about in "Night Passage" don't really say that was the starring train:

http://www.toytrains.info/trainmovies.asp

"Features the D&RG railroad, narrow gauge, between Durango and Silverton. Director James Nelson filmed around Silverton in September and October, 1956. He portrayed the beauty of Fall in the high country so effectively that audiences can almost feel a chill in the air. In one memorable scene, James Stewart rides down Blair Street in Silverton while K-28 2-8-2 No. 476 (with a fake diamond stack) passes in the background. In another, No. 476 smashes through a wooden water tank that outlaws had pushed in front of a train (03/20/2005)"

So, go to the Durango and Silverton Scenic Train site and look at their stock. See if any are the same as in the movie.
Eb Zane
Watchman

Unread post

That Toy Train site has a lot of good links. Now I'll have to wait until they run the film again here on TV. Most likely between now and Easter to get another good look.

Thanks for the help.

EZ
MountainMan
Cat

Unread post

Could have been Baldwins, since they made narrow guage stuff.

Here in Colorado, frieghts were usually hauled by 2-8-0's while passenger trains used 4-6-0's.

If you see anything narrow guage in movies today, it is often running on the Cumbres to Toltec line.
wsherrick
Engineer

Unread post

I'm not sure who first built the K class 2-8-2's but they were first standard guage engines that were rebuilt by the Rio Grande for narrow gauge use, hence the obviously oversize boiler. The rebuilds were done during the 20's.