Real-world rail project-update

Discussion of anything, within reason (no politics or religion, please).
ostlandr
Brakeman

Real-world rail project-update Unread post

Hey gang! Just wanted to let everybody know what is going on. Equus Ferrius Corporation is now a legal business entity in New York. We have a first draft of the design document for our biomass fueled locomotive complete- think GP30 repowered with a boiler in place of the prime mover and steam turbines in place of the traction motors. We think we have a manufacturing site lined up, and we are in the process of getting venture capital funding. Talented folks from all over the globe with the skills to build Modern Steam have agreed to come on board as consultants once we get funded. Still looking for somebody with diesel experience to join the project. Concentrating on getting the locomotive business up and running first. When the economy starts to percolate, and the new carbon taxes and green mandates make biomass fuel a hot commodity, that will be the time to get biomass-fueled trains running to haul the chips out of the mountains.
Corporate website stil isn't up- the business plan is priority #1 right now. Been working on the website myself in MS Publisher but not sure I like the results. May have to break down and hire it done, but my partners and I don't like to spend a dime we don't have to.

That's all for now- will keep everybody in the loop.
Watch this space for Equus Ferrius Corporation's website! Soon to build biomass fueled steam locomotives, and lease a short line. We're going for it!
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Re: Real-world rail project-update Unread post

ostlandr wrote: May have to break down and hire it done, but my partners and I don't like to spend a dime we don't have to.
Hawk has had some experience with Web site design. Don't know if he's looking for work, but you might ask.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

MS Publisher, like any Microsoft product, doesn't do a very good job, especially when it comes to cross-browser compatibility, and it adds a lot of bloat to the code, which could cause the web pages to load slower.

I'd be interested in working on the project with you, and my prices are pretty good. You can get an idea of my work at this link: http://hawks-web.com/ Just check out the links on the 'Samples' page.

I also host web sites and handle domain name registration.
Hawk
ostlandr
Brakeman

Thanks, Hawk. Will keep you in mind.

Cool software isn't always the solution. The other night I spent ten or fifteen minutes trying to use Google Sketchup (3D modeling software) to make a disc with a hole in it like a donut. !hairpull! I finally gave up and dug out the ol' drafting board and tools. Made much better progress, although it would take me a LOOONG time to do a nice 3D rendering. :roll: (I did that once for a house I designed- it was a LOT of work by hand.)
Hawk wrote:MS Publisher, like any Microsoft product, doesn't do a very good job, especially when it comes to cross-browser compatibility, and it adds a lot of bloat to the code, which could cause the web pages to load slower.

I'd be interested in working on the project with you, and my prices are pretty good. You can get an idea of my work at this link: http://hawks-web.com/ Just check out the links on the 'Samples' page.

I also host web sites and handle domain name registration.
Watch this space for Equus Ferrius Corporation's website! Soon to build biomass fueled steam locomotives, and lease a short line. We're going for it!