Economics not looking good

Discussion of anything, within reason (no politics or religion, please).
Gwizz
CEO

Economics not looking good Unread post

Seattle, Texas and a few other places have been holding house prices up better then the rest of the nation. Well it looks like Seattle is falling off the good list with the start of a major drop in house values.

My daughter who is quite sharp on the economy, just warned me again to closely watch my retirement funds. Using her past advise I have yet to loose a cent, except for having lower gains, which are small; but, still positive. I still wonder when our dollar is going to fall in value. It has been dropping a bit. But the government's printing presses are still running.
Other countries of the world are suffering more than we are, but seem to still trust the dollar, except for China. Our record high debt must have them worried.

On this side of the pond, Brazil is very strong, having had their depression 5 or more years ago and must have done something right to be able to save their economy.
The rest of us are still in line for this disaster.

My daughter has been watching how the elitists have been positioning there millions.
She said it looks like they are preparing themselves for a big market crash in the very near future. (In weeks not Months) She is shorting the market using Puts as a part of managed group accounts. This is not the same risky shorting as used by the RT games. The group shorts the market without borrowing stocks, to sell. This blocks the avalanche of loss caused if stock value increases instead of decreasing.

I know people who have loss over a $100,000 dollars so far, not counting house devaluation. The future just does not look good for us. :evil: :twisted:
JayEff
Conductor

Re: Economics not looking good Unread post

I have done well betting on China. My shares in a Chinese forest products company are up 60% since October. And a copper company. Copper has come back strong since last fall because the Chinese are still buying it.

Canadian insider sentiment (buying/selling ratio by CEOs, CFOs and directors) is still rated strong, and 112%. But it was up over 500% for most of last fall.
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Gwizz wrote:On this side of the pond, Brazil is very strong, having had their depression 5 or more years ago and must have done something right to be able to save their economy.
The rest of us are still in line for this disaster.
One thing that they did was to get the monkey of foreign oil imports off their back by developing ethanol (from sugarcane) as a fuel. Don't know what impact it had in thier overall economy, but I suspect it helped a great deal not having to send all that money out of the country.
Gwizz
CEO

With new ethanol studies saying it is hard on auto engines, ejectors, catalytic mufflers, lower mileage, etc. I would think the costs involved with ethanol fuel would off set some of the benefits of producing their own fuel. But, they did do something right.

I heard again today that the wealthy people in Settle who own high end homes are now abandoning their homes.
It seems their home values are now lower then the debt they owe on their homes.
Many of these people have influence in politics.
I wonder what they are saying to the people they elected?
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Gwizz wrote:With new ethanol studies saying it is hard on auto engines, ejectors, catalytic mufflers, lower mileage, etc. I would think the costs involved with ethanol fuel would off set some of the benefits of producing their own fuel.
Only because it's being put in engines designed to run on gasoline and modified to run on ethanol. Design an engine from the ground up to run on ethanol and you won't have these problems I think.
Gwizz
CEO

wolve, I'm sure you are right. The US has not mandated a conversion process. Maybe the Government's control of GM may change some of this, but I doubt it.

It irritates me that our country, mostly big business is sitting on so much safe technology.

In the Forties and Fifties this technology, as inventions, started going black and have continued to be black to this day.

I researched Cold Water Fusion from the first day it hit the news in the Eighties.
It is a safe and almost free fuel source. Since the government now owns all water, water is now taxable. This technology went black. Those who discovered it had to leave the country to continue their work in Switzerland where Toyota now funds this technology.

I have used Methanol in the past. It is some what different from Ethanol, but, if Methanol catches fire you can't see it burning. You get burned before you even know your on fire.
So, I'm a bit skeptical about using straight Ethanol as a fuel.
It may even burn visibly, I'm not sure.

Some people advocate the use of hydrogen as a common fuel. But, you have to be so dawn careful because of its' explosive nature.

There is a patent that splits water into oxygen and Hydrogen in an amount only needed to run the engine from moment to moment, greatly reducing the explosive nature of the fuel. The exhaust is only water, heavy water, but still water. That inventor refused to sell his patent to big business and was poisoned. He is in a better place now. I bet he again runs his spiritual cars on water. :-D

The worlds political structure fights against any new technology that reduces their profits.
So for now, we are stuck with what we have. :twisted:
nedfumpkin
CEO

It's always been a puzzle to me that police officers and taxis essentially use the same vehicle, albeit, the police have mega mods. But so far, nobody has ever designed a cruiser/taxi from the gorund up. Instead, they convert regular cars. The same for propane/natural gas...for 20 years they have been doing conversions, but not so far has one been designed from the ground up.

This leads me to believe that it is all a giant hoax to steal your money. Everything.

Now explain to me why I can't get any interest on designing high tension wire towers with windmills. The continent is covered with these power lines and they all hang from towers. Now let's say you put a small windmill atop them, you already have the lines running, so you could just add one more string. Think of all the free power from these things that are just sitting there.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Ya' just have to remember folks; We, as consumers, are not people. We're nothing more than walking dollar signs.

In my travels around this once great country, I've come across many instances where some guy added a generator to his water wheel and supplied his house with all the electricity he needed for his family.
Once the 'Powers-That-Be' found out; they forced them to shut down the generators. One particular guy was so successful at producing electricity from his water wheel that the local 'Powers-That-Be' made him supply them with his excess - for free.

It's not about what's best for the country or the world! It's not about the safety, security, freedom, nor well being of us - the ones that pay their salary!
Nope! It's all about the profit.

Understand, I'm not at all against making a profit, but once that concept over-rides the need/desire of the consumer it becomes an issue out of our hands. It becomes an obsession controlled only be the greed for more profits.
Then you have the taxes - but don't get me started on that :-x , but that heavily comes into play.

I have read that it takes a gallon and a half of petroleum products to produce one gallon of ethanol. If that's true, it just doesn't make sense to me, even if the vehicles are designed and built expressly for that purpose.
Hawk
nedfumpkin
CEO

Around here, and in some places in the US, the power companies are urging homeowners to generate their ownpower and sell their excess onto the grid. This is partly because they can't keep up with the demand.

On the other hand, there was the guy in Wales who was arrested for not paying the fuel tax because he ran his car on used cooking oil.

Despite what anyone says, the corn bio-fuel model is a flawed one, and the hope is that if they keep up th fallacy then eventually it will develop into something viable. All the while, Graham slept on, dreaming of a world where he could do what he wanted, and the biggest problem is our disadain for hemp products because they are quite viable as a fossif fuel alternative, but we don't make the equipment for it and there is the war on drugs and every other noun or anything that makes sense. I actually read the other day where someone was convinced that old forest wood pulp was better than hemp for paper making.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I have read quite often that hemp is as useful and versatile as soy beans, another forgotten gem of this planet.
Hawk
proudcanadian
Conductor

Just a random fact, but some drafts of the Declaration of Independence were printed on paper made from hemp.
I don't drive a dogsled to work, I don't live in an igloo, and we're the SECOND LARGEST COUNTRY ON EARTH!!!
JayEff
Conductor

Hemp is not forgotten, but it is mired in regulatory issues because it is the same species as marijuana. But as a crop and as a fabric it has many advantages. And it is one of humanity's oldest crops.
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

GWIZZ wrote:There is a patent that splits water into oxygen and Hydrogen in an amount only needed to run the engine from moment to moment, greatly reducing the explosive nature of the fuel. The exhaust is only water, heavy water, but still water. That inventor refused to sell his patent to big business and was poisoned. He is in a better place now. I bet he again runs his spiritual cars on water.
You would need an electrolysis unit the size of a semi truck to produce the amount of hydrogen needed to run a car engine. And it takes energy to do it, so, patent or not, this would just not work. As far as redesigning a car "from the ground up" to run on ethanol, I didn't mean the entire car, just the propulsion unit. Ethanol burns differently than gasoline, so things like combustion chamber design, spark timing, fuel injection, exhaust cleaning etc. would need to be "tweaked" a little to optimize performance with ethanol. Hawk's right that it takes more petroleum to make ethanol than you get out in the end. This was one of the most poorly thought-out scams to be foisted on us in a long while (Bernie Madoff notwithstanding). Ethanol from otherwise unused biomass is another story. Once the technology is in place for efficient conversion of cellulose to fermentable sugars, it becomes a no-brainer. We're most of the way there now, but it's not going to be the only answer. Solving the "energy crisis" has to be a muti-pronged approach. I heard on the news this morning that because of the recession, sales of solar panels have dropped 40% or more and that it is becoming much more economically feasable to invest in small-scale solar energy, at the household level.
Knave
Conductor

I was a little surprised at the exchange rate for homes that generate power from solar or wind. I am not sure if the rate is a federal mandate or established by local power companies and their regulatory bodies. Here in Alaska it is a 50% exchange rate. What I mean is for every full unit of power you may put back into the system, you get credit for half a unit. I would love to have a solar array backed up by a wind generator. The TV program 'Living with Ed Bagley' had a few shows on his attempt to come off the grid. I don't condone the whole green thing message. However the ease in which a home owner can reduce his energy costs makes one think. My energy costs now are greater than what my house payment ever was. The cost for me to add that technology to my existing home is to great for me to live to see the profit side. To add solar and/or wind to a new construction is minimal. That is something to think about as well.

We had a thread here a while back about cfl lights. I have replaced every light in the house with the little buggers. Well, to be truthful, there are three lights The Wife put off limits. 23 lights total. From 60 watts average to 13 watts. Just over 1000 watts difference. It is not much. I can't tell you the difference at the meter. I pay the bill and toss the paperwork so I can't go back and look. Like the mouse giving the owl the finger, I'm doing the best I can.
Never, Never, Never give up. Winston Churchill
Gwizz
CEO

You would need an electrolysis unit the size of a semi truck to produce the amount of hydrogen needed to run a car engine.
The video I watched showed a moving car with a V-8 and all the equipment for the conversion from water to fuel was under the hood with the engine. Also on the video was a moving lawn mower and another small 4 cylinder car. I think the process for conversion used some type of microwave energy. I'm not sure on that. I downloaded the directions for the conversion but have not done anything with it. Too many other projects right now.
The dead mans brother has been putting the information on the net through a friend.
Wolverine@MSU
CEO

Can you post links to what you've uncovered?
Gwizz
CEO

I thought after posting that info, that I would probably have to dig out that info again.

My son is here helping me today, but I will dig it out of my backup drive tonight.

I will also look for it on You-tube. I think it said "running your car on water" or something to that effect.

There was also an article in one of my magazines a couple of years ago.

I asked an auto mechanic and drag car racer about the conversion that he had tried and although the process had worked for him, he thought rust was a major problem and an engine would have to be designed specially for the process for it to be practical.
From what he said, I got the impression it was not allowed on his drag strip cars.
Gwizz
CEO

I can't add information on the water powered car here for some reason.
I'm using IE and FireFox is causing me some problems generally and not just at this site.

So, I will add one document at the terminal. Give me a few minutes.

http://theterminal.dune2k.com/forum/

I can add more documents if anyone wants them.

The Stan Meyer You Tube video may still be researchable as well.

There is still a lot of info. on the web.
Some site calls it scam, which is to be expected. Oil is a big player in debunking competition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDHT0hBgVOw
WPandP
Engineer

Gwizz- regarding your tagline comment, about getting there before the devil knows you're dead... the devil's not the one you have to worry about...

Regarding the water-car, I've heard some of this before but I thought I also heard it debunked; I lack any specific info though so I'm just lurking and seeing how this goes.
=Winchester, Paston & Portsmouth=
====== We Provide Pride! ======
JayEff
Conductor

At first glance it looks like bunk. Water is not a source of energy. The hydrogen in it is already fully oxidized, so it can not burn. Sure you can use hydrolysis to make hydrogen again, but where are you going to get the energy to do it? Perhaps a coal-fired electrical plant. HappyMileage.com is a fake 'consumer information' website.