Hell on Wheels

Discussion of anything, within reason (no politics or religion, please).
nedfumpkin
CEO

Hell on Wheels Unread post

Just so you know, I bought a house and it becomes mine on Thursday so for the next few weeks I am going to be very busy with that.

But I did manage to catch the premiere episode of the new AMC series Hell on Wheels. It's set in 1865 and it is about the building of the trans-continental railroad. Seems like a good show so far, and it has some 4-4-0s in it. So if you get a chance for what seems like a series based on an RT3 scenario, it's almost like I based my -in progress - Deadwood campaign map on the Deadwood series, and they based Hell on Wheels on my Deadwood campaign map -just further south and 5 years earlier. :)
Knave
Conductor

Re: Hell on Wheels Unread post

Congrats on the house. Take it from me, a much better deal than a boat. Still don't have TV. I will look for in on a online site.
Never, Never, Never give up. Winston Churchill
nedfumpkin
CEO

Thanks

I found this link... http://www.amctv.com/hell-on-wheels/vid ... pisode-101

Ever since all the stations switched to digital, I don't really have a tv either since I don't have a digital tv...I watch everything online now.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I recorded that show on my DVR, but haven't had a chance to watch it yet.
Hawk
soccersetter643
Hobo

I watched the show on Netflix, but it only had season 1. nevertheless, I was OVERJOYED when I looked it up online and found that it had a second season! cant wait to watch it.

Overall, I think the show is good, even if it just brings railroading into modern TV. I found the dialog to be extremely hard to follow, as there was a lot of grunting and grumbling, which I guess is true of the wild west. I also found the main character annoying because he kept saying "heyep" (words do not do it justice).

Positives about this show include Colm Meaney as Thomas Durant. A great choice casting-wise, as Colm Meaney has the perfect demeanor for a railroading capitalist. I also loved the grittiness of the show, and the portrayl of interactions between ex-soldiers from the civil war. The main character fought for the south, for example.

Overall, I would recommend it. It's not great, but it's entertaining!
Lone Cat
Brakeman

nedfumpkin wrote:Just so you know, I bought a house and it becomes mine on Thursday so for the next few weeks I am going to be very busy with that.

But I did manage to catch the premiere episode of the new AMC series Hell on Wheels. It's set in 1865 and it is about the building of the trans-continental railroad. Seems like a good show so far, and it has some 4-4-0s in it. So if you get a chance for what seems like a series based on an RT3 scenario, it's almost like I based my -in progress - Deadwood campaign map on the Deadwood series, and they based Hell on Wheels on my Deadwood campaign map -just further south and 5 years earlier. :)
And is that the courteous of Union Pacific? Historical 'Hell on Wheels' means a temporary vice settlements made by (and for) UP RR workers, the existence of this community annoys local folks, boths pre-railroad settlers and the natives alike. Workers who became gambling addicts or sex freeks occasionally commits crime by raiding settlements, favorably the settlers ones, but I don't think these depraved railroad crews will spare natives but I'm not sure if they dare to raid the natives village. By then natives were reputed of being fierce and xenophobia.

The trailer shown the first wood-firing moguls. and it appears that this Mogul is just rushed out of a factory to the eastcoast meow.