Duke Class 4-4-0 In America

Discussion of anything, within reason (no politics or religion, please).
Lone Cat
Brakeman

Duke Class 4-4-0 In America Unread post

When did Americans import the Duke Class 4-4-0 from GB? Who imported ones? and what is the difference between any typical American 4-4-0, The (RT3) Eightwheelers (another 4-4-0) and Duke Class? Do all of them uses same-ol Stephenson valvegear??

The railroads that import ones intended to use this for passenger services.
Lirio
Watchman

Re: Duke Class 4-4-0 In America Unread post

The US was not in the habit of importing locomotives from Britain after the 1830s, to the best of my knowledge. The Duke is available in the US because there was a need for an 1870s 4-4-0 to bridge the gap between the American and the Eight Wheeler, they had limited time and resources to code new engines, and from a pure game design perspective, having three very similar locomotive types in a row probably seemed rather boring. So in short, British engines like the Duke were not in common use in the US during the 1870s, it's presence in the US is entirely an artefact of RT3 being a videogame.

As a side note, i've been unable to determine what British locomotive the Duke in RT3 is supposed to represent. There was an Iron Duke class of 4-4-0s in 1847, and a Duke class in 1895, but none that i can find for the 1870s.
Lone Cat
Brakeman

And that is because the crew might forget about either Moguls or the 2-4-0. or the Americans 4-4-0 released in 1855 (which are workhorses of many American railroads for 40 years or more) had been upgraded once new valvegear has been introduced. or the 4-4-0s built in 1870 is more powerful than the 1855 because it burned either coal or fuel oil (and the 1855 version burns firewood). or many railroads rebuilt many of their 4-4-0s to do passenger trains only (while having the Moguls and Consolidations dedicated to the freight service)

About American railroads imported brits engine... i've heard that D&RG had been importing one Fairlie (similar to those seen in the actual game but it was 0-4-4-0 not 0-6-6-0) from GB. correct?
thietavu
Conductor

Lone Cat wrote:And that is because the crew might forget about either Moguls or the 2-4-0. or the Americans 4-4-0 released in 1855 (which are workhorses of many American railroads for 40 years or more) had been upgraded once new valvegear has been introduced. or the 4-4-0s built in 1870 is more powerful than the 1855 because it burned either coal or fuel oil (and the 1855 version burns firewood). or many railroads rebuilt many of their 4-4-0s to do passenger trains only (while having the Moguls and Consolidations dedicated to the freight service)

About American railroads imported brits engine... i've heard that D&RG had been importing one Fairlie (similar to those seen in the actual game but it was 0-4-4-0 not 0-6-6-0) from GB. correct?
The first Finnish National Railways 4-4-0s in 1860 http://koti.mbnet.fi/kasii/hoyryveturit/a1.htm were wood burners made in England. The interesting thing is: also the very last steam engines running in Finland until 1972 were often (not always) wood-burners! Anyway, at least here the 4-4-0s were only used in passenger traffic.
AMD Phenom X6 1090T @3.9GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600 RAM, Asus Crosshair Formula IV mb, Radeon HD7870, Samsung 850EVO SSD, M-Audio AP192, Windows 10-64, Railroad Tycoon 3 1.06. & TM, Train Simulator 2016, MSTS + many add-ons, Trainz!
Lirio
Watchman

Looking at the in game models of the RT3 Duke and pictures of the GWR 3252 Class, known as the Duke Class, i am now fairly certain that they are one and the same. Moreover, painting engines bright yellow was distinctively something the Great Western Railway did. However the real Duke Class was put in service 1895, so the game Duke is 21 years too early. Additionally, GWR Dukes were never used outside of England as far as i know. So yeah, its availability in the 1870s as well as North America is entirely an artefact of game design. Which is odd, since they usually stuck pretty close to the real world.
Lirio
Watchman

Some corrections and additions to prior statements:

Bright yellow was the express livery of the London, Brighton, and South Coast Railway, not the Great Western Railway, which had green express livery. While the only Duke-class was indeed the GWR 3252 of 1895, and the game's Duke looks very similar to it, one cannot help but notice that the LB&SCR's B2 4-4-0, also from 1895, has a certain similarity to the game's Duke. Though it is the case that the mid-1870s was when the first 4-4-0 tender locomotives started being used in Britain, the game's Duke looks 1880s at the earliest. It remains an something of a odd duck in the game's locomotive park.