Close announcement>
If you need to contact an administrator about account activation (or resurrection)
the email address is: admin @ hawkdawg . com (remove the four blank spaces).
The activation emails should hopefully work now (have changed some settings).

Best Tycoon games.

Discussion of anything, within reason (no politics or religion, please).
AdmiralHalsey
Conductor

Best Tycoon games.

Unread post by AdmiralHalsey »

Which games in the Tycoon Genre do you think are the best? For me it's every RRT game, Zoo Tycoon 1 and 2 + expansions and every Rollercoaster Tycoon game minus the 3DS one.(Also those are the only 3 good Tycoon Franchises. Everything else minus Theme Hospital are !*00*! )
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: Best Tycoon games.

Unread post by Hawk »

You mentioned the 3DS version of Rollercoaster Tycoon. I assume you mean RCT3, which I didn't care for.

I play all the same tycoon games as you mentioned. I've not tried any others.
Hawk
AdmiralHalsey
Conductor

Hawk wrote:You mentioned the 3DS version of Rollercoaster Tycoon. I assume you mean RCT3, which I didn't care for.

I play all the same tycoon games as you mentioned. I've not tried any others.
Actually the 3DS version could be considered RCT4. And while i'll admit RCT3 had its flaws.(No more peeps getting blown up when a coaster crashes :-( ) The game was and still is gorgeous.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post by Hawk »

AdmiralHalsey wrote: Actually the 3DS version could be considered RCT4. And while i'll admit RCT3 had its flaws.(No more peeps getting blown up when a coaster crashes :-( ) The game was and still is gorgeous.
I'm not familiar with the 3DS version then. Do you have any links to it?
While RCT3 may be nice looking, the game play was definitely dumbed down from the previous version. It was kind'a cool to actually ride the coasters though.
I'm one of those strange folks that prefer game play over eye candy. :mrgreen:
Hawk
AdmiralHalsey
Conductor

Hawk wrote:
AdmiralHalsey wrote: Actually the 3DS version could be considered RCT4. And while i'll admit RCT3 had its flaws.(No more peeps getting blown up when a coaster crashes :-( ) The game was and still is gorgeous.
I'm not familiar with the 3DS version then. Do you have any links to it?
While RCT3 may be nice looking, the game play was definitely dumbed down from the previous version. It was kind'a cool to actually ride the coasters though.
I'm one of those strange folks that prefer game play over eye candy. :mrgreen:
Here is a link to several reviews of the game. I'll also admit that the game was dumbed down compared to 1 and 2 the peeps pathfinding logic was a lot better. I can't tell you how many times I wanted to scream in rage while playing RCT1 when a peep that kept complaining i'm hungry/thirsty/need to use the restroom would ignore them EVEN THOUGH I JUST SET HIM DOWN RIGHT IN FRONT OF A BURGER/DRINK/RESTROOM!!(I would just drown the ones that never figured out where the stalls were :twisted: )
Blackhawk
CEO

Unread post by Blackhawk »

I suppose it depends what the definition of a tycoon game is and how far back we want to go.

Lemonade Stand -one of the first "business" tycoon type games.
Elite: The Frontier
Black Gold
Gazillionaire <-- This one was a favorite of my friends when we played it
Machiavelli: The Prince
I suppose Rollercoaster Tycoon was ok

After the early to mid 2000s I haven't played many games, so that's why why list has mostly old games in it. I never played Cities in Motion or Transport Tycoon which I thought both got decent reviews.

I'm not sure I'd say the above were the best, but they weren't bad. Particularly for their time. Gazillionaire was one of my favorites. It mostly dealt with supply/demand of commodities. Elite was similar but from a different decade and involved combat as well so it wasn't strictly a tycoon game but still a great game for its time.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post by Hawk »

AdmiralHalsey wrote: Here is a link to several reviews of the game.
It doesn't look like it got very good reviews. Seeing some of the screenshots it doesn't look like it would be something I'd like.
Hawk
AdmiralHalsey
Conductor

Hawk wrote:
AdmiralHalsey wrote: Here is a link to several reviews of the game.
It doesn't look like it got very good reviews. Seeing some of the screenshots it doesn't look like it would be something I'd like.
Honestly i've only played it once and that was a friends one I borrowed. I was hoping that at worst it would be a Thrillville clone but nope it was way worse. They took the height markers of the tracks. I couldn't tell if that first hill after the main drop was higher or shorter then the lift hill. I gave up after 5 minutes of trying to figure it out.