New Railroad Game...Overdue

Discussion of anything, within reason (no politics or religion, please).
Blackhawk
CEO

Re: New Railroad Game...Overdue Unread post

I think it's still in development currently, but there was a small update about Train Fever a couple months ago on this forum. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3416 It's due out in the 3rd quarter of this year and seems to be made by a small group of guys in Europe, so initially it will be heavily European based. It also appears to be more of a transportation game, than exclusively a train game. But it still might be worth checking out.
MrScott1964
Brakeman

It's been a good couple of years since I had RRT 3 installed on my system. It may be time to revisit this game.

The Train Fever game looks kind of interesting, I'll need to keep an eye on that.

I would say that we are really over due for a good RR Tycoon type game. That game came out in 2003 I believe. You would think that somebody would of filled that niche by now. I'm not including SMRailroads from 2007 in this game niche...That game didn't have the same railroading atmosphere feeling like RRT2 and RRT3 did.
Blackhawk
CEO

It does seem like it's been awhile since any mass produced train game has been created. It's a shame no programmer doesn't go on kickstarter or a similar service and get a large amount of money and produce a game that way. Several games have been produced that way lately. Ex. Planetary Annihilation, Elite: Dangerous, and Train Fever.

http://www.listal.com/list/all-aboard-history-trains This website seems to list many of the train games from 2000-2010. But nothing recently since it's an old post. But there is also now Train Giant - A Train 9, and Train Empire. The A Train 9 seems to be made by a Japanese company and mediocre reviews (if you can even find one). And Train Empire I can't seem to find anything about it, other than I saw a copy of it on ebay.
MrScott1964
Brakeman

That's funny, I remember playing the original A-Train in the mid 90's. I was just being introduced to computers then. I look at the screenshots of that game and remember how amazing I thought that game was back then. I can also recall playing the first SimCity, Sim Ant, and El Fish to name a few.

I did try most of the games on that list. Most never really caught my attention like the RRT series did.

One thing I didn't know about was that somebody made the board game 1830 into a computer game. I remember playing that in board game in the mid 1980's. My friend and I would get together every Sunday for "Gameday" were we would play a different game every week...Ah, the good ole days! !*th_up*!
MrScott1964
Brakeman

Ok, there seems to be some new train games on the horizon...Anybody know anything about these games?

http://www.rail-nation.com/

http://www.train-fever.com/ - ask to be on their beta team but never got a reply.

Anything new and exciting?
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Rail Nation looks to be on-line play only.

Train Fever is European rail only and has to be bought through Steam.
Hawk
Lone Cat
Brakeman

I did play RailNation browser railroad business sim game before. It works much more like Industrial sim rather than rail ones where player does Freight only. Originally the game features 'Europe only' locomotives (and some aren't supposed to do freight jobs... there are THREE Hudsons in that game and they're intended to do passenger trains. not freights. also Consolidation tank is the first train... alot of room to improve. (and I've yet to play the 'U.S.' version which it's released now meow~)
Blackhawk
CEO

Well it's not Railroad game related news, but I saw this today: https://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-i ... 04603.html

If only someone with some design knowledge spearheaded a crowdfunding for a RT4 type game as apparently decent games these days can get crowd funding.
larrysw
Hobo

I tried downloading Train Fever yesterday, and found it a mess to install. I have already asked for a refund of my money. :-(
Hawk
The Big Dawg

What was a mess about it? What issues did you run into?
Hawk